Hotel Acuarium?

zepcap

Feb 17, 2005
Hello,
New to this forum but finding the info very useful (thanks!). My fiancee and I will be visiting DR for the first time this March and staying at a place I have yet to find much info about -- Hotel Acuarium, near Santo Domingo, east of the river and apparently 1/2 mile from the aquarium ("Ensanche Isabeli" is part of the address). Does anyone know anything about it or this location in general?

Basically we're looking for a nice relaxing stay in some warm weather (we're in Boston, USA) and hoping to do some exploring in the Colonial City (walking distance from this location?) and planting ourselves on a beach for a good chunk of the time. I know Boca Chica is the closest beach but the one post I did find about this hotel (on trip advisor) described that beach as a "landfill" which I suspect is not entirely accurate but would be interested in others' thoughts. Anyone know of any food/drink places fairly close by and easy to get to? I think this is also close to the Faro a Colon if that helps with the locale. Any other insights greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your insights and help!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's a 46 room hotel on Calle 11 No. 5, Ensanche Isabelita.
I do not know of anyone that has stayed there, so I guess it's not that popular.

It's a good 60min walk to the Colonial Zone.

http://www.acuarium.it/

Bacon

Apr 20, 2004
Looking for info also

I have also read the review on this hotel. The statement regarding the beach is quite absurd and inaccurate. There is no real beach in Santo Domingo however the beach located in Boca Chica is very nice. The city surrounding the beach is whatever each person is willing to make of it. At night it can be a little seedy with numerous ladies walking about the streets.
Surprisingly, prior to reading the board today I was talking to a very good lady friend of mine on the telephone and she recommended this hotel to me. Any further comments by boardies would be appreciated.
The website on this hotel depicts this place as a timeshare. Does this mean they will not open the doors to non timeshare members?
Regards,
Bacon