Transportation

batswinger

Feb 17, 2005
Hi everyone, I'm travelling to the DR for the first time in a few weeks. We're staying at an AI, but not as part of a travel group (booked with a coupon that I "inherited") so we need to find our own way to and from the airport to the resort. Our resort is offereing round trip shuttle service for $35/person (US)... seems a little high to me. What would normal taxi's cost?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
That's a steal in your Favor!

batswinger said:
Puerto Plata (POP) and we're at the Sun Village Resort.

That's an excellent price. 2 weeks ago I paid $25 us each way. You are doing the robbing rather than you getting robbed.

batswinger

Feb 17, 2005
stallion said:
That's an excellent price. 2 weeks ago I paid $25 us each way. You are doing the robbing rather than you getting robbed.

I'll keep that in mind. Still seems expensive for a 15 minute ride, especially when they charge for each individual person.

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Depending on how many people there are in you're party it may be better to go by taxi. Heck, even if there's only 2 people it should still be better going by taxi.

I'm not familiar with the Sun Village but I'm sure someone on the board would be able to get you a taxi fare from POP. Should work out to being cheaper if you have more then 1 person in your party, given that its a flat rate and not based on each person.

We paid $20 to take a cab from Sosua to Puerto Plata and I think the distance between Cofresi (where Sun Village is located) and the airport is less then the distance between Sosua and Puerto Plata. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'm not really up to date on

the whos and the wheres, but the rate quoted by the hotel shuttle looks very good, especially if you are in Cofres?, which is at least 20 minutes beyond Playa Dorada, and maybe more. I wish Stallion had told us if he was going to Playa Dorada or Sun Village..

However, if a Taxi is $25 to Playa Dorada, then it will be at least $35 to Cofres?..I'll betcha..The prices are posted at the airport as you leave the Customs area. Talk to a couple of the drivers that are yelling "Taxi" at you and see who gives the best price..Don't be afraid to walk away, or wait until everyone has left...

HB :D:D

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Hillbilly said:
the whos and the wheres, but the rate quoted by the hotel shuttle looks very good, especially if you are in Cofres?, which is at least 20 minutes beyond Playa Dorada, and maybe more. I wish Stallion had told us if he was going to Playa Dorada or Sun Village..

However, if a Taxi is $25 to Playa Dorada, then it will be at least $35 to Cofres?..I'll betcha..The prices are posted at the airport as you leave the Customs area. Talk to a couple of the drivers that are yelling "Taxi" at you and see who gives the best price..Don't be afraid to walk away, or wait until everyone has left...

HB :D:D

Actually that was to puerto plata's downtown core area.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
batswinger said:
I'll keep that in mind. Still seems expensive for a 15 minute ride, especially when they charge for each individual person.

They told you POP airport to Sun Village was a 15 minute ride? Regardless of price I wouldn't travel with them...........they must drive like bats out of hell! POP airport to Puerto Plata is 20/25mins. Cofresi, where Sun Village is, is 10 mins further on from Puerto Plata, so the total is 30/35 mins........on a good day, avoiding the potholes, wind behind you, no cana tractors at Montellano, etc etc.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
batswinger said:
Hi everyone, I'm travelling to the DR for the first time in a few weeks. We're staying at an AI, but not as part of a travel group (booked with a coupon that I "inherited") so we need to find our own way to and from the airport to the resort. Our resort is offereing round trip shuttle service for $35/person (US)... seems a little high to me. What would normal taxi's cost?

If you are by yourself, its a bargain. But if there is 2 of you taxi is the way to go. Will be cheaper by taxi. They are asking $35 US /PERSON X2 =$70 US EACH WAY that's way too much. However you can go by a mini van taxi for $30-$35 us. So that way you saved $35 to $40 dollars. Good luck.

batswinger

Feb 17, 2005
Thanks all

Thanks everyone... I'm beginning to think the resort's deal ain't so bad. It's $35ea, but it is round trip (not just one way). It was my folks who gave me the 15minute reference... they were there last year, must have had one too many cervesa's on the plane!!

See ya in a few weeks! :cool: