How did they do it?

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
I'd like for someone to share with me some first hand expereinces on what it was like for a Domincan man/woman who came to the US to live after they married an American man/woman.
I'm primarily looking for those stories about Dominicans who had no experience with the English language. How did they adjust? How long did it take? Where they able to find work as they were learning English? Anything else you'd like to add would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
You're asking for a lot information. I can't give you first hand knowledge. But I (the American) have watched my wife and several others try and adjust to American life. My wife immigrated after we were married 10 years ago. She didn't speak a word of english. She has since learned. She learned a lot at her first job here at a day care. The 2 year olds taught her more in a day than I had the entire 6 months previous. That gave her a solid foundation that she has built on. Her english is very good now.
She has really struggled being away from her country. At times suffering bouts with depression. She has come to appreciate some parts of our culture. And has found disdain for other parts. But is relatively happy and content.
It has been very hard for her. And I am amazed at her strength to adjust, learn and change.

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
Hey stewart, thanks for the reply. May I ask, where are you all living now? Are there other Dominicans or at least latinos whe can relate with around where you all live?
That's what I fear. I met my Dominican on another island where we live (she has family here). When we go to the states, I'm wondering how it's going to be for her. I try to encourage her to try and learn more English, or as much as she can until she can get some formal lessons.
Thanks again.

any one else....

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
I took that into consideration also. I wanted to choose a location where there are other Dominicans such as in South Florida, Boston, NY or even Philadelphia.
Either way, I know we'll cope.

Thanks again

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
I'll have my wife write you in about 2 months.......

We are almost to the end of the visa process. She is excited about coming here, but there are almost no Dominicans in Phoenix (but a ton of Spanish speaking Mexicanos). Her situation is unique though as she speaks very good English, even if it is with a thick accent. I pretty much have a job lined up for her with a major credit card company in bilingual customer service. The pay is decent, the benefits are great and the work isn't too hard. I think she will be fine but I will let her tell you when she gets here. I have been 5 months without her, and it has been hard. I call her sometimes 3 times a day. (If you read this babe, I miss you!).

-Tim

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
lsylla01 said:
Hey stewart, thanks for the reply. May I ask, where are you all living now? Are there other Dominicans or at least latinos whe can relate with around where you all live?
That's what I fear. I met my Dominican on another island where we live (she has family here). When we go to the states, I'm wondering how it's going to be for her. I try to encourage her to try and learn more English, or as much as she can until she can get some formal lessons.
Thanks again.

any one else....

We live in Salt Lake City now. And there are some other Dominicans here that she is friends with. But when we got rried 10 years ago and she came here, there weren't. Then of course there were the 4 years that I was active duty Air Force. No Dominicans in Mississippi. And we didn't know anybody in Denver. Sure there are Mexicans that speak Spanish. But it was never the same.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
stewart said:
She has come to appreciate some parts of our culture. And has found disdain for other parts. But is relatively happy and content.
It has been very hard for her. And I am amazed at her strength to adjust, learn and change.

That has been my experience, living in Thailand years ago and living in the DR for almost 3 years now. There are aspects of Dominican culture that have my native US of A beat hands down :D and there are aspects of Dominican culture that drive me crazy. :tired: