Coal-fired plants

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Keith,

Do you have an idea which Virginia coal fired plants the government could be considering buying? Could you follow up and if you hear anything, let us know.

Am referring to the brief of 17 February in dr1 daily news:

Future power supply will be cheaper
Secretary of the Presidency Danilo Medina said that the government is negotiating the installation of two power plants that are in operation in the state of Virginia, in the US, as reported in the Listin Diario. He said the power plants would produce 1.2 megawatts that would be sold at RD$0.04 the kWh down from US$0.19 at present. He explained the government would nevertheless not be able to disregard the present contracts, but as the demand increases, the additional supply would be available at a lower cost. He was also optimistic the more competitively priced power would oblige other companies to renegotiate the terms of their contracts.
He criticized contracts that have been signed in the past that oblige the country to pay for installed capacity of power plants, regardless or not these be actually generating the power. He said the negotiations are proceeding with the participation of the World Bank and in coordination with the IMF. Two notable cases of contracts based on installed capacity are the Smith Enron power plant (under a Balaguer administration) and the Cogentrix plant (under the previous Fernandez administration).
He said the first Virginia plant could be ready to go into operation in 14 months after the signing of the contract, and the second in 21 months time. Each would produce 600 megawatts. Medina said that the demand now is at 1.8 megawatts. One of the plants would be installed in Manzanillo and would supply power to the Cibao region. Another would be installed in Puerto Viejo, Azua to supply the south and Santo Domingo.
The power plants would use coal as fuel. The coal would be imported from Colombia.

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
D,
Okay, I'll see what I can find out. It may be once I get back from South America before I do, though. I'll be particularly interested to see what kind of stack "scrubbers" they'll be fitted with...
Best Regards,
Keith

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Doubtful

It is doubtful these plants will actually be developed given the extremely high cost of coal. The plants have been in storage for more than 20 years and would be pretty inefficient. CFB technology is the newest and cleanest solid fuel burning power plant technologies and is much more appropriate for the
DR. The idea that any coal fired power plant could be built in 14 months is ridiculous. They have not even started on their studies.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
gringito said:
It is doubtful these plants will actually be developed given the extremely high cost of coal. The plants have been in storage for more than 20 years and would be pretty inefficient. CFB technology is the newest and cleanest solid fuel burning power plant technologies and is much more appropriate for the
DR. The idea that any coal fired power plant could be built in 14 months is ridiculous. They have not even started on their studies.

Could you identify the plants (where are they, any link on the Internet for more information) that you explain have been in storage for more than 20 years?

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
gringito said:

You obviously are not familiar with the superior ingenering ability we Dominicans have. We will build a 9km underground metro in 42 months. And for a third of the price that our nearest competitor.

DAMN WE'RE GOOD !!!!!

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Response

Dolores said:
Could you identify the plants (where are they, any link on the Internet for more information) that you explain have been in storage for more than 20 years?

My information is based on the actual description of the equipment in the proposal from the plant developers. Coal is not really a viable option for cost efficient power in the DR at this point given the high price of low sulfur coal and the very high price for ocean transportation. It takes at least 24-30 months to build any solid fuel power plant. That has always been one of the reasons that the country has relied on oil-fired plants for so many years. They wait until crisis situations and then opt for bad technology that can be put in place quickly.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
gringito said:
My information is based on the actual description of the equipment in the proposal from the plant developers. Coal is not really a viable option for cost efficient power in the DR at this point given the high price of low sulfur coal and the very high price for ocean transportation. It takes at least 24-30 months to build any solid fuel power plant. That has always been one of the reasons that the country has relied on oil-fired plants for so many years. They wait until crisis situations and then opt for bad technology that can be put in place quickly.

Could you email us the plant proposal. Thank you. Email to dolores@dr1.com

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
thepiper said:
You obviously are not familiar with the superior ingenering ability we Dominicans have. We will build a 9km underground metro in 42 months. And for a third of the price that our nearest competitor.

DAMN WE'RE GOOD !!!!!

And on top of that, over 25 years (or as far I can remember) we began retro-fitting public cars (conchos) with a household propane tank. That is Dominican inginuity at it best.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
gringito said:

WHO TOLD YOU THEY HAVEN'T? i'm really close to the biggest investor in the project.

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Matter of Record

ERICKXSON said:
WHO TOLD YOU THEY HAVEN'T? i'm really close to the biggest investor in the project.
Good for you. It is a matter of public record.