Safe to travel?

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
I need some help here.
It has been a few years since my wife and I have been to DR. We want to go this summer with our 3 young kids.
My wife is Dominican from Santiago. When she talkes to friends and family that have recently visited there, all she hears are horror stories of robberies, murders etc. Everybody tell her not to go.
I have never at any time felt unsafe there. But she is a little more nervous than I am.
What I need is to hear from people that live in the Cibao or have been there recently. Help me convince my wife that there is nothing to fear.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You know that old saying "the only thing to fear is fear itself!"

People in general overblow everything out of proportion. The media helps in that process by overblowing their stories.

Should you be scared? -No.

Should you visit with the usual precautions you take at home? -Yes.

I'm just wondering, of all the people suggesting her to not go, how many of them have been a victim of crime while visiting the DR? I suppose its either zero or very very few of them.

Come and play, but don't play blindly. This country is safer than most countries. Is it as safe as it was a few years ago? No.

Then again, this was a country where nothing really happened, now somethings are happening and people are getting jumpy because they have never heard of stuff like this. However, I'm sure alot more crime is occuring where you guys are living than its occuring in the entire DR. Just pick up several newspapers in your areas and listen to the news of your area and then compare to what you read on Dominican sources. You'll see the difference.

The DR is still safe to live, travel, and enjoy yourself.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
dont think of traveling to NYC either....cuz you will hear about the murders and robberies etc.

Travel safely and travel wisely.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
eyes wide open

Grew up in NY learned to be an owl. ;) come into DR with no preconception, just ENJOY.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Nal0whs said:
You know that old saying "the only thing to fear is fear itself!"

People in general overblow everything out of proportion. The media helps in that process by overblowing their stories.

Should you be scared? -No.

Should you visit with the usual precautions you take at home? -Yes.

I'm just wondering, of all the people suggesting her to not go, how many of them have been a victim of crime while visiting the DR? I suppose its either zero or very very few of them.

Come and play, but don't play blindly. This country is safer than most countries. Is it as safe as it was a few years ago? No.

Then again, this was a country where nothing really happened, now somethings are happening and people are getting jumpy because they have never heard of stuff like this. However, I'm sure alot more crime is occuring where you guys are living than its occuring in the entire DR. Just pick up several newspapers in your areas and listen to the news of your area and then compare to what you read on Dominican sources. You'll see the difference.

The DR is still safe to live, travel, and enjoy yourself.

We live now in a smalkl town outside of Salt Lake City Utah. Notheing ever happens there.
According to her, a friend was there at Christmas and was on a bus that was held up.
I tend to think it's an exagerration. We spoke to her mom a few minutes ago. She says it's alright to go. Just limit our movement at night.
I guess that's fair.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
SLC, Ut can be like that. HAHA It reminds me of when I used to read the newspaper and the biggest incidents were the "Ice Cream" robber or a crazy Peeping Tom/Flasher. I kid you not! As a hardcore NY, it was a wild adjustment for me. It made me laugh.

As for crimes I am sure people posting are discounting the "feeling swindled" coefficient. It's a deterent for me. But then again it could just be one of my ADD days....hahahahaha

Later-
D
stewart said:
We live now in a smalkl town outside of Salt Lake City Utah. Notheing ever happens there.
According to her, a friend was there at Christmas and was on a bus that was held up.
I tend to think it's an exagerration. We spoke to her mom a few minutes ago. She says it's alright to go. Just limit our movement at night.
I guess that's fair.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
stewart said:
I guess that's fair.
Well, ok since Salt Lake is out in the middle of nowhere so to speak.

But, most people who live in the US live in metro areas where crime is riddle all about and tourist just can't stop going there.

Think of Miami for a second, it's among the top 5 most dangerous places in the US and its one of the most visited tourist destinations. Any given place in the DR has alot less crime than Miami metro area.

You really have nothing to worry about, if things were so out of hand, don't you think a DR1er would have been a victim of a serious crime by now? I'm not talking about those who say they know someone etc etc, but they themselves...

You really have not much to worry about. Your nerves will calm down once you are here for a couple of days.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Well, ok since Salt Lake is out in the middle of nowhere so to speak.

But, most people who live in the US live in metro areas where crime is riddle all about and tourist just can't stop going there.

Think of Miami for a second, it's among the top 5 most dangerous places in the US and its one of the most visited tourist destinations. Any given place in the DR has alot less crime than Miami metro area.

You really have nothing to worry about, if things were so out of hand, don't you think a DR1er would have been a victim of a serious crime by now? I'm not talking about those who say they know someone etc etc, but they themselves...

You really have not much to worry about. Your nerves will calm down once you are here for a couple of days.

I agree with you 100%. I have never felt un-safe there. And I make a point of getting out and walking around the poorest barrios in Santiago. I ride the guaguas, motoconchos and carros publicos. As dumb as I am, I am usually carrying a lot of cash with me. I always thought that was safer than leavinig it at my in-laws house where the whole neighborhood is coming and going.
My wife worries a lot. But she is hearing all this bad stuff from Dominicans.
Is that the perception that they have of their country now? A crime ridden place where nobody and nothing is safe?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Listen!

stewart said:
Show me a country where this does not happens and I will show you a "perfect" country.

Remember one thing, some dominicans are the worse "critics" of their country, your wife included.

Go and concern yourself with having a good time because if you worry too much about what people are saying, you WILL have a miserable vacation.