Dominican Food !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlito

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 11, 2005
I am sitting here in Maryland just wishing I could get into some real down home Dominican food !

I used to be mad about that roasted chicken you would get at Probocon on Mirador del sur in the capital, anyone ever eat there ?
Nice tender chicken onions and casabe, with a frosty Presidente 40 !
A beer so cold its almost a slushy !

I rememeber "La Bandera" a combo of rice, beans meat and salad,
when I lived in Puerto Plata, there was an avocado tree in the back yard,
I lived accross the Street from Juan Carlos and next door the the Owners of the Ferreteria San Antonio.

I really miss Locreo de Cangrejo and other foods.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Carlito said:
I am sitting here in Maryland just wishing I could get into some real down home Dominican food !

I used to be mad about that roasted chicken you would get at Probocon on Mirador del sur in the capital, anyone ever eat there ?

I lived accross the Street from Juan Carlos and next door the the Owners of the Ferreteria San Antonio.

How about a hot dog from a street vendor? Heaven.

Carlito

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 11, 2005
stewart said:
How about a hot dog from a street vendor? Heaven.

Nope, its not what I am after,
Fried green plantains, and other stuff,
I can make a hotdog at home anytime.

Now if you had said a NYC pretzel.....

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Now a sandwich de pierna or a riki taki - that is what I am talking about

Even casabe

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
I think one only misses a chimichurri stand when away from the DR. I can still feel my stomache turning from that "street meat".

What is a riki taki?

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Carlito said:

Funny thing about pretzels. Did you notice that you can't find pretzels here. My wife said that the first time she tried a pretzel in NY, out of curiosity, she spit it out. She thought something was wrong with it. She can't understand how anyone would want to eat anything so tasteless. She claims the same is true of Bagels. No self respecting dominican would eat any of these bland creations, let alone pay good money for them.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Naufrago said:
Funny thing about pretzels. Did you notice that you can't find pretzels here. My wife said that the first time she tried a pretzel in NY, out of curiosity, she spit it out. She thought something was wrong with it. She can't understand how anyone would want to eat anything so tasteless. She claims the same is true of Bagels. No self respecting dominican would eat any of these bland creations, let alone pay good money for them.

Honey! You will find pretzels on the third floor of plaza central, in the food court there is a little booth that sells them, right in front of the stairs. mmmmm delicious! ;)

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
About the Pretzels-----

You can also buy them in the priceSmart store in Santiago. Both the pretzel Sticks and the regular ones that are often found on the bars in the US. They are packaged and imported. Fresh out of the package.

I keep a supply on hand 24/7 cause I like to snack on them with slivers of good sharp cheeze.

Texas Bill

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Carlito said:
Nope, its not what I am after,
Fried green plantains, and other stuff,
I can make a hotdog at home anytime.

You can't make one like they have in La Vega.
Queso, carne molida, repollo etc.
That rocks. With a matal india so cold it's slushy.
I can hae platanos fritos whenever I want. They are 50 cents each at Wal-Mart.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Texas Bill said:
You can also buy them in the priceSmart store in Santiago. Both the pretzel Sticks and the regular ones that are often found on the bars in the US. They are packaged and imported. Fresh out of the package.

I keep a supply on hand 24/7 cause I like to snack on them with slivers of good sharp cheeze.

Texas Bill

:nervous: sorry I'm lost with the pretzelmania! Are we talking about the big soft bread type ones or the dry sticks munchies kind? In plaza central you get the soft ones and in any supermercado (in SD) you can get the sticks!

La Gata

Jul 16, 2003
www.myspace.com
where??

Carlito said:

Where in MD are you?? Hit the CUban Corner ... for some good latin food, granted its not the DR, but they have tostones :)

chadfisher21

Feb 13, 2005
Carlito said:

I can't imagine how you would miss such repulsive food. If you are craving chicken remember how they hang their meats up on clothing lines. And if you're thinking about any kind of vegetable think about the worms and dirt that lay inside. Hot dogs and hamburgers are fine with me!

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
chadfisher21 said:
I can't imagine how you would miss such repulsive food. If you are craving chicken remember how they hang their meats up on clothing lines. And if you're thinking about any kind of vegetable think about the worms and dirt that lay inside. Hot dogs and hamburgers are fine with me!

I wouldn't have it anyother way.
Funny though, the chicken my wife cooks comes from a grocery store. Wrapped in plastice.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
For the nostalgic Marylander, if instead of suburban DC you are closer to Sammy Sosa's new hometown, in Baltimore City, there is a Dominican-owned place with casabe, platos t?picos, etcetera. Kind on NYC bodega style place, with a very friendly family running it.
Dilon? Grocery & Resturant on 157 N Lakewood Ave. Baltimore, MD.

- Tordok

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Dominican Food!!

Carlito said:

If you live anywhere near DC go to Carolinas. It is Dominican owned with Dominican Food!! It is on 14th. I don't remember the cross street but the food is good.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Oh man! The best fried chicken is Dominican fried Chicken and cold PResidente.....Lambi Guisado, rice, tostones and a cold Presidente....some chicharonnes and cold Presidente.....

Mmm...I make tostones, but there's no cold presidente's here, so it's not the same at all.
What about a nice frio frio...or one of those tasty oranges just peeled, on a hot day when you are soooo thirsty.

Whoever said DR food is disgusting should probably never vacation outside the US or wherever they are from.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Sorry this is delayed

A riki taki is a sandwich that has seasoned ground beef that has a sauce of sazon - think manwich, cabbage, on pan de agua with mayo and sometimes tomatoes.

With that or a sandwich de pierna - I could eat them every day.

Carlito

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 11, 2005
chadfisher21 said:

You must be Day Tripping "Freind"
I lived in the Dominican Republic on and off since I was a kid, and I have much family living there, and none of them ever did anything of the sort,
My uncles all had farms and the meat was prepared in a sanitary manner.

But what is repulsive about Avocado, Rice and Beans ?
Besides, do you know what goes into American Meats ?
Hotdogs ? Hamburgers ?
How plants buy already dead Cows ?
Some with cancer and dead from diseases ?
Did you know that Mad Cow Disease started in England ? :tired:

When I lived in Puerto Plata, I would go to the campo and pick out healty animals and slaughter them myself and put them in the freezers at home, and I killed my own chickens too. :tired:

I know about food and food handling,
Read the "AMERICAN" FDA's guidelines on how many insect parts they allow per Kilo of food, or how food must be cooked at high enough tempertures to destroy Fecal matter, because Employees never wash their hands properly enough ! :tired:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Smart move Chad......

Really nice that you criticize the food from DR, Chad. At least it's not coming from places (the states) where the grounds (in the states) are full of fertilizer and pesticides up the ying-yang (in the states). I prefer that a worm do the fertilizing and aerating the soil instead of getting all those friggin' chemicals in my system (from the states). It's bad enough that here in the US, fast food is so readily available, it's also full of crap. Even though I ate fried foods down in DR, it was still ten times healthier to eat that than anything I could have here from McDonalds or BK. Now let me get back home to eat some tostones with queso frito, great to munch on........my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.