Is anyone missing Hippo, Part II

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
It was only six months ago I continuously attacked Hippo as the worst president in DR history. Today I may revise history. Is Leonel Fernandez any better? YES. But only in being smartest at the corruption game. Leonel will be taking a heavier fall as a result of the rampant corruption in his new government. Already 13 of his top aides have had their U.S. visas cancelled. Although I cannot name them for security reasons, let me give you a hint. One of them used to give out millions every week in a lottery and now is a top finance area minister. First name starts with an "F".
The Quirino Paulino drug case is knocking at the door of the national palace. We will soon see pictures and evidence of the involvement of PLD heads in this mess. We will soon be seeing evidence that Quirino was invited to the most famous wedding last year(we all know who the groom was). And that Hippo and the PPH had even less involvement in the Quirino case than Leonel's party and his government heads.
We are heading towards big trouble in the economy. The fake dollar rate created by Leonel and his Central Bank gurus will soon explode with the increase in business bankruptcies in the Free Zone and tourism area. Leonel's hope that his wrongful policies will lead us to lower prices is a fantasy. Prices will not go down. Worst, prices have been going up and will go even higher with the pressure of new administrative and hidden taxes.
The true value of the dollar of $40 to $1 will soon be coming to a head. The fraudulent and deceiptful practice of holding the dollar rate down thru the issuance of Banco Central certificates has turned into a nightmare and the debt has now increased by 30 billion pesos in Leonel's first six months. Banco Central has moved interest payments on certificates to the 4th. day of each month. What Hippo just said that "there's not a penny out there on the streets" is true. Business is at a standstill. The middle class will be wiped out in a matter of months. Already 50% of the voters are giving Leonel unfavorable ratings, the most abrupt loss in a six month period ever. Mass exodus to the U.S. and other countries is already beginning. People are fed up with this country and its corrupt officials. The army and the police are up to their necks in the drug and illegal traffic of everything. Remember Hippo's Pegasus horse? Guess who paid for it? Ask former Air Force chief Sierra, Quirino's best friend who built a private airport in Elias Pina and kept his helicopter at the air force hangar.
All my predictions with names of generals who were part of the corruption are coming home to roost. I have not missed one and more to come.
If the canary starts talking at the U.S. Federal Court I will not have to mention the names anymore. It will be now public.
Leonel....e pa fuera que va!!!!
TW

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Golo100 said:
If the canary starts talking at the U.S. Federal Court I will not have to mention the names anymore. It will be now public.
TW

I think "El Don" will just have take this fall and do the time. Remember that the rest of his family is still in The DR...I wouldn't name names if I was him (not publicly anyway).

The only thing I miss about Hippo is the dollar being at 55 to 1. You have to give him credit though...to come out and attack this administration as corrupt and say that the economic policies of this government are bankrupting the country, after what THEY did, takes huge cojones or complete obliviousness...The galls this guy has!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Couriously, I am getting the same vibes

Our daily discussion group, made up of professionals in all different fields plus a gossip or two, has been saying about the same thing for a couple of weeks now.

I am pretty sure that then Quirino starts to sing-after all, he is facing five consecutive life sentences-some interesting names will come up. It is quite possible for Quirino to get his family out of the DR and into a federal protection program--if and when he can provide good information

Of course the brazeness of his Metro project is dumbfounding. People are so shocked and awe-struck at the gall of it all that they can't even find the words to express their wrath.

A group of engineers took apart Diablino's Metro Plan, piece by piece, but to what avail, I have no idea. It is so obvious that the payola involved in this case is so huge that the Congress must be sitting there licking their chops at the new X-5s and Mercedes E-430s they are going to buy with the millions in payoffs that will be coming down the line. At RD$2 mill each, that still leaves Diablino with a cool billion in his pocket, at the very least!!

HB :(:(:(

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2002
Hillbilly said:
I am pretty sure that then Quirino starts to sing-after all, he is facing five consecutive life sentences-some interesting names will come up. It is quite possible for Quirino to get his family out of the DR and into a federal protection program--if and when he can provide good information(
Are you sure that the US has a witness protection program that extends to residents of foreign countries? And, if it did, given the size of Dominican families, wouldn't this mean moving about 50 coffee con leche-skinned folks wearing 6" gold pistol neck chains to Kansas???

I'm under the impression that Hippo's pilots, arrested in Miami and still there today, have not talked to this day.

On another topic, while not endorsing Leonel's policies, the fact remains that massive economic pain was inevitable, in one form or another, after Hippo's reign. Leonel has simply chosen the form of the poison for us in a manner that best suits him and his people.

Golo knows that this too shall pass.

Last edited:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I don't know much about Dominican politics, but to me the metro project is as brazen as anything Hippo has done. I can't imagine the population standing for it. Surely there must be less obvious ways to rob the country blind.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You Leonel supporters refuse to look at the facts....and just accept all reaming the PLD doles out.

Let me make this as clear as possible: Leonel is borrowing/spending significantly more than is necessary....even when you take into account all that Hippo stole. This is not conjecture. And i'm not even counting the money that the Metro will cost.

Repeat after me: Leonel is spending more than Hippo. Leonel is accelerating the destruction of the DR$ based economy and the middle class along with it. They brag about it. Go to the Central Bank website and find out.

When will this puppy love end?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The Metro appears to be the main headline and talking point these days.
Could it all be smoke and mirrors?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Don't be so sure

Danny W said:
I don't know much about Dominican politics, but to me the metro project is as brazen as anything Hippo has done. I can't imagine the population standing for it. Surely there must be less obvious ways to rob the country blind.
They went for the Social Security scam.

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Let's See How Smart We Are...

Robert said:
The Metro appears to be the main headline and talking point these days.
Could it all be smoke and mirrors?

It could be? Haven't you figured out the real deal yet? Come on Robert it is there for all to see.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
gringito said:
It could be? Haven't you figured out the real deal yet? Come on Robert it is there for all to see.

You tell me, what's the REAL deal?

We will all know when and IF they start making holes in the gound...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Robert said:

Even without the holes in the gound this is about as stupid an idea to even consider with the economy in the condition it is in as anything that was discussed during Hippo's time.

If they go forward with it it will be a disaster. It is not only worse under Leonel for expats and others with a outside income but it is worse for Dominicans.

In response to Danny W... You can count on the Dominicans to burn a few tires in reaction if things go farther south. That is a given! While the government is robbing them of their future and their childrens future they will be standing their with their hands out for some rice and Brugal. What a sorry situation!!

Scott

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Escott said:
Even without the holes in the gound this is about as stupid an idea to even consider with the economy in the condition it is in as anything that was discussed during Hippo's time.

If they go forward with it it will be a disaster. It is not only worse under Leonel for expats and others with a outside income but it is worse for Dominicans.

In response to Danny W... You can count on the Dominicans to burn a few tires in reaction if things go farther south. That is a given! While the government is robbing them of their future and their childrens future they will be standing their with their hands out for some rice and Brugal. What a sorry situation!!

Scott

I really can't imagine the project going forward, but if it does I think the public reaction will be more effective. In this instance there would be a simple focal point for protest - a big hole in the ground. Every poor Dominican has suffered some kind of personal loss due to the pathetic shape of the public hospitals, and the consistent complaint is "how can they do this when we have no medicine?" Combine that with the political opposition and whatever other groups that would benefit from a disturbance and you have a recipe for a nice volatile situation. Everyone will know where to gather and they will have the moral backing of the Church and all of the social welfare organizations.

And if they do ever build it, given the fact that they can't even keep the traffic lights working, who the hell would risk riding in it?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Danny W said:
I really can't imagine the project going forward, but if it does I think the public reaction will be more effective. In this instance there would be a simple focal point for protest - a big hole in the ground. Every poor Dominican has suffered some kind of personal loss due to the pathetic shape of the public hospitals, and the consistent complaint is "how can they do this when we have no medicine?" Combine that with the political opposition and whatever other groups that would benefit from a disturbance and you have a recipe for a nice volatile situation. Everyone will know where to gather and they will have the moral backing of the Church and all of the social welfare organizations.

And if they do ever build it, given the fact that they can't even keep the traffic lights working, who the hell would risk riding in it?
Danny, like I said I think you can count on tires burning when prices go up but other than that there will just be a lineup of people waiting for their bottle of Brugal.

Scott

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
I miss Hipolito

Yes I miss Hipolito. Because when he was president you found opposing views in the press. Now all you read is how everything is great and everything done or said by the Gov. is fine and dandy with us all including the metro.

I have said in other threads that I know the metro will be built because of one simple fact, in the first presidential decree of this goverment the manager or director of the metro was appointed. A month later in an interview Diandino said he did not know if the metrto would be underground or above but he did know it would cost 30m dolars a KM to make. And no one in the press found that odd. The money had already found the pockets of the media ??? I believe so !

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Robert said:

Why do they insist on having a metro underground instead of a tramway or monorail? Is it:
a/ because Quirino unveiled to Leonel where he hid the remainder of the cocaine :bandit: ,
b/ because that's where they will find all the missing stolen vehicles :surprised ,
c/ because Leonel lost his wedding ring somewhere along Maximo Gomez :confused: , or
d/ because Christopher Columbus hid a golden treasure in Santo Domingo ground :pirate:

Bartolomeo in the snow ;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Look at it this way,

At least Leonel have not issued credit cards from one bank to all his highest government officials and then not pay back the $2 million debt racked up and cause the bank to fail causing an economic meltdown of the entire economy.

Now, the economy is growing, the crisis is terminating, investment is flowing in, optimism is on the rise, and people have hope.

I can't say that of Hipolito!

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
Nal0whs said:
Look at it this way,

At least Leonel have not issued credit cards from one bank to all his highest government officials and then not pay back the $2 million debt racked up and cause the bank to fail causing an economic meltdown of the entire economy.

Now, the economy is growing, the crisis is terminating, investment is flowing in, optimism is on the rise, and people have hope.

I can't say that of Hipolito!

I imagine you 2 billion. The banks where missing about 80 billion. Their was about 2.5b for Listin Diario so on and so forth. The money went into the pockets of generals, reporters, church, the supreme court and politicians but mostly into the pockets of wealthy Dominicans who ran the banks. We as Dominicans can not forget the truth behind the failure of these banks. People who forget their past will eventually repeat it. Or something like that.

We can not lose focus of the real problem. Leonel and Hipo are the same species the difference lies in the way they feed. One feeds during daylight the other, with the cover of darkness.