First Class Airplane Treatment

BrothaNature

Mar 29, 2004
Found this from another thread:

The following scene took place on a British Airways flight between Johannesburg and London.

A white woman, about 50 years old, was seated next to a black man. Obviously disturbed by this, she called the Airline Hostess. Madam, what is the matter, the hostess Asked. You obviously do not see it then? She responded. You placed me next to a black man. I do not agree to sit next to someone from such a repugnant group. Give me an alternative seat. Be calm please, the hostess replied. Almost all the places on this flight are taken. I will go to see if another place is available. The Hostess went away and then came back a few minutes later. Madam, just as I thought, there are no other available seats in the economy class. I spoke to the captain and he informed me that there is also no seat in the business class. All the same, we still have one place in the first class. Before the woman could say anything, the hostess continued. It is not usual for our company to permit someone from the economy class to sit in the first class However, given the circumstances, the captain feels that it would be scandalous to make someone sit next to someone sooooo disgusting. She turned to the black guy, and said. Therefore, Sir, it would be our pleasure if you would take your hand luggage and come with me because a seat awaits you in the first class.

At the moment, the other passengers who were shocked by what they had just witnessed stood up and applauded.

This is a true story which is not usually told.

If you are against racism, tell others about this.

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
bertgilbert said:
it is about time some of these old bag get what they deserve

Just noticed. British Airways, figures. some snoby old lady that think she is better than anybody else because her contry is almost as old as her

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
bertgilbert said:
Just noticed. British Airways, figures. some snoby old lady that think she is better than anybody else because her contry is almost as old as her
sorry, country, excuse my spelling, I am from a new country, one that accept everybody, the best country in the world, Canada

BrothaNature

Mar 29, 2004
bertgilbert said:
sorry, country, excuse my spelling, I am from a new country, one that accept everybody, the best country in the world, Canada

Canada's a great place. Love Toronto.. Just don't do like someone I know, who went there a few years ago wearing a USA t-shirt! :eek:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Another one for Robert's Urban Myth Thread

http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/obnox.htm

Phoney as a $3 hooker in Boca Chica.

From Snopes:

At different times the stories are circulated anew with their details altered. For instance, the story we recorded in 1998 about the racist woman on the British Airways flights out of Johannesburg came back for another round in 2004, this time purporting to be about a white woman on a flight between Saskatoon and Calgary.

We'd like to believe virtue will be rewarded and the patient among us will eventually get the level of service we deserve. However, bitter reality often goes the other way ? it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil, hence it's the line jumper and obnoxious passenger who receive special treatment, not us. Legends such as the ones above help to set the world to rights. Even if they never happened, we'd like to think they did and thus gain a measure of comfort from them. Somewhere ? maybe only in the realm of legend ? someone is standing up to horrid people.

Unfortunately, such legends, though they have their uses in helping us feel better about our world, can also prove damaging and hurtful to those tarred by their brush. In 2001, Hubbard Foods of New Zealand, a company that produces breakfast cereal, erred by including the "South African woman seated next to a Black man" legend as a travel story in a children's newsletter inserted in boxes of its product. The tale had been selected for inclusion as an uplifting story imbued with a moral message, and no one thought to check its accuracy.

South Africans living in New Zealand were outraged by it. They saw the leaflet as unfairly painting them as racist, furthering an apartheid-era stereotype that is no longer valid. Hubbard Foods apologized but claimed it was too late and far too expensive to withdraw the boxes from store shelves.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I didn't have the specifics like Rick, but my BS detector was blasting at high volume when I read this one, regardless of how much of a "feel good" story it may be. It's just not how things work in real-life "customer service", and ESPECIALLY with airlines. The loudest and most obnoxious "squeaky wheels" are invariably the ones that gets their way.