Wireless

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Do I need a wireless router to operate my laptop, or can a wireless card work if I live near a tower?
Any other hardware I might need?
Thanks in advance for your help.

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
The two things you need for a wireless connection is a wireless router and a wireless card(PCMCIA card) for your laptop. If you're within a hotspot, you only need your wireless card plugged to your laptop to connect. You may have to pay for use of the hotspot unless some one is broadcasting for free or someone close to your castle is running an unprotected wireless network, in which case you can piggyback off their wireless signal until they wisen up and shut the door.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jrfkhe said:
Do I need a wireless router to operate my laptop, or can a wireless card work if I live near a tower?
As you mention a tower, are you talking about a service that comes in from a microwave tower, into a cellphone with browser abilities, that is then connected to your PC?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
yes, I do mean a wireless tower that I am right beside. I figure a router will be needed, am not sure if it is a true hotspot or not.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jrfkhe said:
yes, I do mean a wireless tower that I am right beside. I figure a router will be needed, am not sure if it is a true hotspot or not.
As poster 2 was explaining about standard wireless, the concept is that someone is subscribed to a DSL internet service, installs a wireless broadcast unit to send the signal through the air to PC's within 100 feet or so, so as to avoid having to hard wire them.
As for trying to get a signal off of a microwave tower, unless your some type of electronic whiz who knows how to steal a signal and translate it into internet service, then you would have to be subscribed to a service such as the one that I mentioned in my previous reply.
This service is not common, but available to those who want internet service where there are no hard lines.
There is such a thing as satelite service as well, but this is also a service to which one must subscribe.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
jrfkhe said:

If it's a wirless tower, then you are wasting your time.
This is not a hot spot, it's a tower used for either/or a line of site microwave or celluar service.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Ok, I get it now. Thank you for the advice. I will see about getting a wireless router as well. Are they expensive/available in the DR?
thanks again.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jrfkhe said:
Ok, I get it now. Thank you for the advice. I will see about getting a wireless router as well. Are they expensive/available in the DR?
thanks again.
Mr Mike sells them.
If you need phone numbers, PM me.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
jrfkhe said:
thanks again.

A wireless router is not going to help you either. The tower is NOT a hot spot.
Right now all you have is a tower that has a few dishes maybe one of two antennas and cell pods attached to it. This is as useful as a tree for getting Internet service.

You need service, either via cable, DSL, 3G wireless card (Centennial/Verizon) or satellite.
What one of these services do you currently have or subscribe to?