Markets?

GregHarris

Feb 25, 2005
Does anybody know of any good or interesting markets (flea, food, or other) in or around Samana, Santiago, or Santo Domingo. Thank you.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
There is a huge one in Santo Domingo - the name escapes me but someone will chime in with it.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
GregHarris said:
Does anybody know of any good or interesting markets (flea, food, or other) in or around Samana, Santiago, or Santo Domingo. Thank you.

What kind of things are you looking for?
There are large food markets in every town. But they are almost all fruits and vegetables. One lechosa looks like the rest.
There are also lots of flea market type things all over. But they sell a lot of used clothes. Not many tourists are interested in those.
The more tourist oriented place are El Conde in Sto. Dgo
Calle del Sol in Santiago.You can find some interesting things there. Hand made items. Ceramic dolls etc.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are several different types

In Santo Domingo there is the Mercado Modelo, built by Trujillo in the 50s, I think, and it is on Mella Street , not far from the Parque Independencia at the foot of Conde Street. Near the Fire Station, if memory serves.

In Santiago we have an "interesting" place called "Los Hospedajes" , and popularly pronounced "Lo Pedaje" where all the fruits and veggies and tons of other local stuff is brought in for sale. Some is on the street, some is inside-if you can find one of the entrances. It is a great experience, maybe good and maybe bad but an experience nonetheless.

On Sol Street there is the old Mercado Modelo, now a tourist center for geegaws and such. Victor's Boutique is supposed to have all of the latest fashions-but I suppose that depends on your taste or lack thereof....:(:(??

In POP there is a Mercado up on the hill.

I Dajabon there are two market days a week where Haitains and Dominicans do commerce, the same for Restauraci?n and the other frontier towns., but you have to check on just what days.

There is a flea market in Stnato Domingo that is ?Under?? the Nu?ez de C?ceres overpass? Someplace like that, I am sure that one of the denizens of STO DGO will get in hee and give you the correct location. Reports are that it is so popular that they are looking for even larger space.

HB:D:D:D

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
There is a market in Samana. Runs pretty much daily & is also the Guagua terminal. Fruit, vegetables, meat, housewares, hardware, clothes, watch & shoe repair etc. Also in Sanchez with a much better selection of fish.