Cayo-Limon Resort Review (Gay Resort)

JHT

Mar 30, 2004
I just returned from a 3 day stay at the Cayo-Limon Resort in El Limon. I thought I would give a review of this hotel and my experiences of this gay resort so you could decide whether you really want to allow them to advertise on your sight or not.

First off, the positives of this resort is that it is quite lovely set-up when you arrive and see it. The rooms were very clean when you entered (but wait until the evening comes - see below).

The negatives of this resort:

1) As you reach El Limon, the road to the hotel, Carretera de la Playa, is a dirt road that is absolutely horrible. It is full of huge pot holes and huge boulders. The road was so bad that even though my lover and I were traveling at 5 kilometers per hour it caused the airbags to explode and damaged the transmission on the car costing us over $4500.00 to repair at Hertz. This is no joke. My lover and I were severely burned on the chest, arms and face by the airbags. Once you arrive you are so scared to leave and there is NOTHING around in this area. The "beach" is not usable and over 300 meters away from the hotel setting. The only way to get to this hotel safely is in a Hummer. Otherwise forget it!

2) They try to get you into an all-inclusive plan at the hotel. In retrospect, it was a good thing as we would not have been able to eat anywhere else around there. The very poor and tiny village is absolutely horrible. Everyone is just so poor and everything around is just filthy outside the resort. The management of this hotel, Patricio, changes the all-inclusive plan at the drop of a hat. The first night there my lover and I were all alone in the resort so he closed the pool bar at 9:30 rather than pay a bartender to serve us two. We were quoted $90 a night with all meals and national drinks included (without all-inclusive it is $80 per person per night). The bars and the disco are to be open until 3am. They never opened the disco and kept closing the pool bar early so we would not be able to drink. That is very unfair. We were also quoted a one hour free massage upon arrival at the resort but there was no masseur so no massage. We also were told we would have a 1 hour free horseback riding around the resort area and the beach and that never happened either. This place is a real fraud. The second and third night there was a couple from Venezuela and they experienced the same issues with the bar closing early, none of the promised activities and they were charged $40 to bring them to the hotel from El Portillo Airport which is just 5 minutes away from the hotel. My lover and I had been quoted $540.00 for both of us for 3 nights at the resort all-inclusive. They billed us through Barcelona, Spain and then when my bill arrived they actually charged us $632.50. They also charged us another $2070 pesos saying we ate peanuts (which they charged us $12.00 for) and for water in the room. That was $73.15 USD for two bottles of water, a shot of Baileys and a bag of peanuts. Outrageous!

3) The food was pretty good but there were a couple of meals I did not like. The portions are also very small. The staff who serves you is very nice and has nothing to do with these problems. The management is the problem.

4) The rooms were full of large roaches at night and spiders. You needed to be sure to sleep with the mosquito netting all around the bed. The couple from Caracas, Venezuela had 8 roaches fall into bed with them on their first night there. We talked about it in the morning and it was horrible. We killed 3 on the second night and 2 more roaches on the third night.

All in all, I think it is important for you to get reviews from your customers who visit the locations on your website. This place could have potential but they would need to fix the road, change the management, spray for spiders and roaches and keep their promises of what activities they are going to offer.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
What a nightmare!

It's hard to imagine so much crap from visiting one resort.
How can this place stay in business?

Didn't you get car insurance?

Why must you go to a gay resort?

You and your lover can share a room at any resort and nobody would have to know what you guys are up to?

Unless of course you guys desire public displays then that could be quite nauseating for many.

Of course, if you were 2 hot women this wouldn't be a problem at all.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No!

stallion said:
LOL, Is this a joke?
Actually, I don't think it's a joke. I think that the only joke about that thread is that he/she keeps on calling his/her mate "lover". It's girlfriend or boyfriend, unless one of you, or both, is married to someone else.

Anyways, any reason why you did not asked management to refund some of the money that you spent since you did not get some of the services that were promised to you and your b-f/g-f?. Also, why didn't you go to another place?.

I do believe all you said/wrote.

Jose Cuervo

Feb 25, 2005
As homosexual man, I don't understand why you chose to go to a gay resort. You and your "lover" coudl've went to any other resort and had an even better time with much better service. My friends and I are a mix of hetrosexual girls and guys and we always vacation at any resort. I don't limit myself to only going to places that are for homosexuals. Try other resorts trust me you won't be disappointed!

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Don't get lost in the branches... the fact they are heterosexual or not is just an accident, the fact this hotel is a gays resort, is an accident too. The point is this hotel is promising way more than it really gives for your money and it has just one name FRAUD.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I am sure it was useful for several fellows.

Jess.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We had some fun with their site a couple of years ago. I see that the current version is still in sub-standard English, but some of the unintended double-entendres are no longer there, more's the pity.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
I agree with the description of the road from El Limon. We tried it on the moto twice & gave up both times, but 5 minutes from El Portillo??? It's at least 10km on a less than autopiste route. 8km from El Portillo to the village of El Limon, we know, we walked it in a younger, dafter day.

JHT

Mar 30, 2004
Yes I did buy the most expensive insurance they had at Hertz...full coverage no deductible for US$21 per day...then when the accident happend in El Limon they refused to pay for anything through insurance as they said I was extremely negligent in taking the car down that road. I have also found out from Hertz that the rental agencies do not purchase the insurance but keep the money and then come up with some excuse why the insurance company will not pay. Be careful, the Hertz locations are privately owned franchises and Hertz is therefore not able to help you at all (even if you are a Hertz #1 Gold Club car member as I am). This is a scam by the Hertz locations in the DR and Hertz told me to dispute the $4500 damage claim with my American Express Card that I charged it on and to put it into dispute until that Hertz location provides proof from an insurance company that they denied me on that particular vehicle for the period that I rented it. That was last April and it is now October and they have yet to be paid because they cannot provide the letter of denial they said the insurance company gave them on Feb 23 which was the day after we left the DR. I hope someone finds this information helpful and does the same until these guys are OUT OF BUSINESS with these scams.