Question about LF and Senate

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
I have been reading about the standoff between the DR President and the PRD dominated senate. The Senate has rebeled against the Executive. My question is, What can the administration do when the senate blocks them in such a way that the executive cannot effectively accomplish what needs to be? What are the recourse options for any administration in DR? Is the Senate, in a sense, a political monopoly being almost entirely dominated by PRD?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The senate as it is right now is totally controlled by The PRD, so yes it is a complete monopoly. Unless I'm wrong I think the only recourse the president has in that case is to rule by decree (Balaguer used to do this). In reality what will happen is that the government will pay them off (more jeepetas, perks, etc)...and in return they will aprove anything, including the building of the new Metro system...

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The payoff already began. The Senate voted itself a hefty 65%+ pay increase this year. I wish I could give myself a 65% pay increase. Nice work if you can get it!

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
suarezn said:
The senate as it is right now is totally controlled by The PRD, so yes it is a complete monopoly. Unless I'm wrong I think the only recourse the president has in that case is to rule by decree (Balaguer used to do this). In reality what will happen is that the government will pay them off (more jeepetas, perks, etc)...and in return they will aprove anything, including the building of the new Metro system...

If he was to rule by decree as Balaguer did, what would be the consequences from an international point of view? Would this be accompanied by international intervention and repercussions? Would it be possible to pass a law where there would be a balance in the senate and avoid this kind of deadlock or senate party monopoly?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Riu-----

If "YOU" pass a law to equalize the balance of power between the Legislative and the Administrative branches of government, where does that leave "democracy"??? It can be done, but you abrogate any claim to a democraatic form of government. You need to have the checks and balances in place even if they are corrupt, vendictive ones.

Texas Bill

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
LF options

According to el Caribe, Leonel Fernandez to rule by decree is a considerable option. PRD has the country in lockdown politically speaking. If they say there was no corruption in the previous admin, and that the PRD politicians are clean, why are they so worry now. If they are not guilty of anything, they should let investigations continue, those found guilty pay for their corruption. By the same token, when they take power do the same to the leaving party and investigate them. This way they create a mecanism of checking everyone. Although it sounds simple, it is very difficult indeed.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Texas Bill is absolutely correct. The whole constitutional design of a representative democracy with a republican structure is to maintain a balance among the various branches of government. This is a basic principle of the classical Western traditions of liberal governance going back to ancient Athens. Power monopolies are intrinsically bad. In theory, having opposing political parties dominating separate branches of government is not necessarily a bad thing and not an impediment for effective governance. It complicates things but it is not an absolute obstacle for sound policies to take effect.

It just so happens that the elected DR senate is currently composed of a bunch of myopic, greedy obstructionist partisans. Not an ideal situation but that is the de juris constitutional framework of the country. The problem does have a solution. Just like citizens had to wait to vote Hipolito out of office, the institutional way to get past this impasse is to shame the senators into reason via civilized public protests and by voting them out of the congress when the scheduled opportunity arrives.

Going back to a goverment by decree is a much more dangerous route-even if led by the relatively benign Leonel Fernandez. The presidency has certain constitutional powers and prerogatives -I'm sure that he will use these- however he is also subjected to constitutionally sanctioned restrictions on those powers and that is the way it should be. The fact that Balaguer did rule by decree is precisely why he was never a true democrat and why the country for many years was considered partially-free only and why its development remained stagnant for so long.

- Tordok

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
An "Effective" Democratic" government is one---

wherein, if a bicameral system of legislative bodies is present, the elected representatives promulgate those legislative mandates that their constituents find necessary to "properly" run the country.

In the case of the DR, those legislative bodies have audultrated this mechanism by adhering solely to party loyalty without regard to the effect of their actions on the population and the country as a whole.

Under law, such blatant actions are construed to be malfeasance in office because the incumbents are NOT acting in accordance with the intent of the constitution they are sworn to uphold. Instead, they are using their positions to further their own party's policies of placing incumberences in the path of governence in the hopes of fostering false results and creating the chaos which follows.

I think it is quite clear what the "White party's" intentions are. Create enough roadblocks so that the incumbent fails by default, thereby clearing the road for reintry into the administrative arena.

Any comments???

Texas Bill

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Does anyone know when the next congressional elections are held? I think it is in 2006. But I'm not sure if everyone is up for re-election. Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
Amen

Texas Bill said:
wherein, if a bicameral system of legislative bodies is present, the elected representatives promulgate those legislative mandates that their constituents find necessary to "properly" run the country.

In the case of the DR, those legislative bodies have audultrated this mechanism by adhering solely to party loyalty without regard to the effect of their actions on the population and the country as a whole.

Under law, such blatant actions are construed to be malfeasance in office because the incumbents are NOT acting in accordance with the intent of the constitution they are sworn to uphold. Instead, they are using their positions to further their own party's policies of placing incumberences in the path of governence in the hopes of fostering false results and creating the chaos which follows.

I think it is quite clear what the "White party's" intentions are. Create enough roadblocks so that the incumbent fails by default, thereby clearing the road for reintry into the administrative arena.

Any comments???

Texas Bill

Bill you could not have said it better. The senate is sabotaging the progress of the county as a whole by creating roadblocks for the present reign. What really worries me is that this behabior perpetuates. They must find neutral ground on issues that are needed for the country to turn around from this downward spiral the economy is currently in.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
This situation is hardly new. LF was faced with an opposition-controlled Congress in his first Administration which blocked much of what he wanted to accomplish. [In fact, a number of bills proposed during his first Administration saw no action whatsoever until Hippo came in, then suddenly Congress passed many of them more or less in the form LF proposed, but PRD took credit for them.] The difference now is that PRD has even more of a lock on Congress -- particularly the Senate -- than it did then.

Also in his first Administration LF hinted at and threatened to rule by decree. But in reality under the newer Constitution, what he can do by decree -- without having it struck down by the courts -- is much more limited than it was under Balaguer.

Even giving them favors, there is only so much the PRD will allow LF to get through Congress. They want to ensure that PLD does not get returned to office in 2008. So only the measures which cuts them in on a big piece of the pie, or absolutely necessary to keep the money flowing, will get through.

I know it's a cynical viewpoint, but I have been tracking Dominican politics too long (and have met too many Dominican Members of Congress) to believe otherwise. :ermm:

Regards,
Keith

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Texas Bill said:
That sounds familar. Where else does that happen? Mmmm.....
Oh, the US.

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
Keith R said:
This situation is hardly new. LF was faced with an opposition-controlled Congress in his first Administration which blocked much of what he wanted to accomplish. [In fact, a number of bills proposed during his first Administration saw no action whatsoever until Hippo came in, then suddenly Congress passed many of them more or less in the form LF proposed, but PRD took credit for them.] The difference now is that PRD has even more of a lock on Congress -- particularly the Senate -- than it did then.

Also in his first Administration LF hinted at and threatened to rule by decree. But in reality under the newer Constitution, what he can do by decree -- without having it struck down by the courts -- is much more limited than it was under Balaguer.

Even giving them favors, there is only so much the PRD will allow LF to get through Congress. They want to ensure that PLD does not get returned to office in 2008. So only the measures which cuts them in on a big piece of the pie, or absolutely necessary to keep the money flowing, will get through.

I know it's a cynical viewpoint, but I have been tracking Dominican politics too long (and have met too many Dominican Members of Congress) to believe otherwise. :ermm:

Regards,
Keith

Key you are correct and it is sad the politics gets in the way of progress in the DR. The DR has a lot of potential but most of the leaders are scum. All is driven by personal interests and political vendettas.