Pepper spray

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
They sell it over the counter at some supermarkets and ferreterias, so my guess would be 'yes'.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Why would you want to do that?

Unless you want to spray a dog that is attacking you!It will get you into more trouble than it is worth.It tends to "Pi$$ Off" criminals,who will then get angry with you,and take revenge!As you fumble in your pocket or purse(you WILL be very frightened!)for your "spray" the criminal may feel more threatened than you! He may think you are going to pull a gun from your purse.Then he will shoot you first!
Stay out of dangerous areas.Don't wear gold,watches,cell phones,or carry cash.Don't get drunk in public.Be with friends when you go out.Don't take public transportation.Go home early.

Last edited:

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
CC is right

It can turn out ugly at the end. Just take caution and play safe. Don't make enemies. It's a society with weak laws. You should not have any problems unless you instigate and stay out of bad areas and like CC said avoid geting drunk in the wrong places,don't wear expensive jewellery and don't flash your cash. Any how play it safe and enjoy your stay. All the best

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
That is all good advice. And you guys are probably right. I have said before that I tend to frequent the poorer areas of the Cibao. At night even. I was a missionary there after all. And I have never once felt unsafe. I don't drink and i think gold jewelry looks rediculous. So no problems there. I guess the only reason to carry a can of pepper spray around would be the same reason to carry a small pen knife or flash light. You never really know. And it doesn't cost me anything to carry it. Who knows. Maybe it would help my paranoid wife relax a little.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Still, it's not a bad idea to keep the dogs at bay, my wife has used it for just that purpose. Your odds of being harrassed by a stray dog are probably more than being attacked by some crazed dominican lunatic anyway. Back in NY I used to carry some whenever walking through the woods upstate, it's also an effective Bear repellent.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The super markets sell CS Gas (black canister) for around RD$450 a piece.
Small enough to fit in your purse or pocket.
I think they are imported from France.

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Law

As a previous poster mentioned, it's a society with weak laws, however, I was wondering, what does the law stipulate regarding the use of pepper spray, if anything??

Thanks!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Everybody here carries a gun, so why would they even bother you for a tiny pepper spray bottle! ;)

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
stewart said:
That is all good advice. And you guys are probably right. I have said before that I tend to frequent the poorer areas of the Cibao. At night even. I was a missionary there after all. And I have never once felt unsafe. I don't drink and i think gold jewelry looks rediculous. So no problems there. I guess the only reason to carry a can of pepper spray around would be the same reason to carry a small pen knife or flash light. You never really know. And it doesn't cost me anything to carry it. Who knows. Maybe it would help my paranoid wife relax a little.

I once had a pepper spray in the DR. I once was attacked a wild crzy street dog while I was riding a passola. I sprayed him and he left me alone. So it's also good for animals attacking as opposed to just humans robbing you.