Cedula + residency

gsupa

Nov 14, 2004
I need a good lawyer to get my cedula + residency.
Some people offered me to get both for $1000...
however they're not lawyers and that is a problem to me
Thanks!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Mr. Guzman posts here as the legal expert and out of appreciation and loyalty if I was doing residency I would choose him.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I, too, recoommend Fabio Guzman.

Perhaps all lawyers are not equally competent and honest in every country, but that is certainly true in the DR I know several people who paid lawyers to get their residency and cedula but ended up with nothing to show for the money.

And be especially careful that you don't use somebody who gets a back door residency. It will look ok when you get the carnet, but when you go to renew, you will find you have to do the process all over.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
US$1000 to US$1,500

I know that's not the most accurate number, but that's the ball park number Fabio charges.

As I always say, make sure you use a reputable lawyer that has a history of obtaining legal non-fast track residencies for people.

I hear a lot of stories of people having problems due to "some" lawyers fast tracking the process and not doing all the necessary paperwork.
This is fine until you have a problem or go to renew your residency.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I sugest you verify carefully the info about lawyers, ask people about their sevices, if is serius. Some lawyer are expert in frauds.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Pukie said:
How often do you have to renew your residency?

Luke

At present, permanent residency must be renewed every 2 years. Not a difficult process, just filling completing a form to update your personal information, paying some money, and having your picture taken. But it does require going to Immigration in Santo Domingo to do the renewal.

The cedula (personal identification card) is good for 5 years. It is issued by a different office.

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
I just did my residency myself - no lawyer. In total I spent around $US200.

RD1800 for the Medical test fees, RD700 to legalize my guaranter's letter and a letter that said I had good morals, RD100 for photos, Rd 50 for my certificate of good conduct and RD 10 for the stamps to go on this certificate, RD 100 for the piles of photocopies of you passport and other documents, RD 1500 to process the whole mess.

I will say that it was a bit time consuming but you will have to do many steps and pay some fees whether you pay a lawyer or not. For example, you will need to get the photos, photocopy your passport, get and pay for the medical exam - give urine, blood and get an x-ray, and do a couple trips to the migration offices.

If you need more details feel free to contact me.

Cheers

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
try it alone

I just did mine by myself. Was time consuming and a bit frustrating at times. Trying to understand what was needed. Where to get what was needed. Then how to get to where I had to get what was needed. But its deposited now and all seems to be OK so far. And its sort of satisfying to know that I did it alone. Another learning experience living here in RD.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Jan said:
I just did mine by myself. Was time consuming and a bit frustrating at times. Trying to understand what was needed. Where to get what was needed. Then how to get to where I had to get what was needed. But its deposited now and all seems to be OK so far. And its sort of satisfying to know that I did it alone. Another learning experience living here in RD.

My company payed a lawyer about 450 dollars for my provisional residency and the same amount for the permanent residency one year later. I have friends who did the whole process by themselves. It was cheaper that way and took about the same time to complete the process.

You don't really need to be a lawyer to do this paperwork. I am happy you made it Jan ;)

Jess.

Beastje

Nov 7, 2004
how long does it take to forme a company ( seven people ) and apply and get the touristic license ?

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
How funny Jan,

I too felt a sense of accomplishment. After a two hour wait, when they finally called my name so I could have the "privilege" of handing in my documents, I felt like I had won the lottery!!!

Cheers

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I was there 4 days in a row!

Guess it takes me awhile to catch on.
1st day...went there after doing a bunch of other stuff and found out I was too late.So walked home
2nd day got there at 7. Stood outside in the front of the building in line. When they started letting people into the building I found out I was in the wrong line. I needed to enter from the back of the building. I was in the pasport line. So I was too late again. All the 25 spots were taken. So I walked home again.
3rd day got there at 7:30 in the morn. I got my name on the list. I was number 11. Sat and waited til about 11:30( was lucky 4 people on the list ahead of me must have got tired and left). Was getting my documents checked and the guy that wrote up my document with the 2 people that knew me wrote a cedula number incorrect so I had to go to him and get this corrected.
4th day got there at 6:30 got my name on the list. number 4! Went out and got some breakfast. Returned at 8:30 got in the office about 9:30 deposited my stuff. When it was all OK I did a little dance and cheer. The girls in the office who never smiled were laughing and even the security guard and the information gal were patting me on the back. They got to know me quite well after all those days.

This was my was my experience in the Immigration. There was lots more stuff that happened.

Went to go buy my stamps for the documents. I was told to get in the line and buy the stamps. I didn't know that after I got the stamps had to go to another place to get them stuck on and legalized. I was all happy with the stamps and walked home. Then found out I had to get legalized. Hed to go back the next day and do this.

One good thing. All the walking did me good. Its about 1 hour fast walking to Immigration from my home. Very fast walking. But walking along the Malecon and being able to see the sea...wasn,t too bad. And on the way back home had to make a few beer stops to make it all better.

Still love this country!

leekirkpatrick

Mar 9, 2005
Jan said:
Guess it takes me awhile to catch on.
1st day...went there after doing a bunch of other stuff and found out I was too late.So walked home
2nd day got there at 7. Stood outside in the front of the building in line. When they started letting people into the building I found out I was in the wrong line. I needed to enter from the back of the building. I was in the pasport line. So I was too late again. All the 25 spots were taken. So I walked home again.
3rd day got there at 7:30 in the morn. I got my name on the list. I was number 11. Sat and waited til about 11:30( was lucky 4 people on the list ahead of me must have got tired and left). Was getting my documents checked and the guy that wrote up my document with the 2 people that knew me wrote a cedula number incorrect so I had to go to him and get this corrected.
4th day got there at 6:30 got my name on the list. number 4! Went out and got some breakfast. Returned at 8:30 got in the office about 9:30 deposited my stuff. When it was all OK I did a little dance and cheer. The girls in the office who never smiled were laughing and even the security guard and the information gal were patting me on the back. They got to know me quite well after all those days.

This was my was my experience in the Immigration. There was lots more stuff that happened.

Went to go buy my stamps for the documents. I was told to get in the line and buy the stamps. I didn't know that after I got the stamps had to go to another place to get them stuck on and legalized. I was all happy with the stamps and walked home. Then found out I had to get legalized. Hed to go back the next day and do this.

One good thing. All the walking did me good. Its about 1 hour fast walking to Immigration from my home. Very fast walking. But walking along the Malecon and being able to see the sea...wasn,t too bad. And on the way back home had to make a few beer stops to make it all better.

Still love this country!

Where, which building is this? I'll try looking in the phone book too.

Any offices on the north side of the country?

Lee

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Don't have the info here but..

The Immigration office is near the Malecon in Santo Domingo. Near the Auga y Luz Theater. Not real sure if theres offices on the "other" side of the island but I don't think there are as I hear people on this board saying they had to make a trip to Santo Domingo for residencia.