Trip to Saman

icey

Aug 2, 2004
Hello All...

I will be making my way to Juan Dolio this weekend and am a frequent visitor to DR and this forum.

I want to do a car trip (could be overnight) to Samana. I've looked at the maps and have a good idea how to travel. But any advice on choice of route ? Roads to avoid ? Approx. drive time ? (I drive fast).

Restaurants to go ? Hotels to stay ?

Anyone with knowledge of any would be greatly appreciated... Thanks :nervous:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
icey said:
Hello All...

I will be making my way to Juan Dolio this weekend and am a frequent visitor to DR and this forum.

I want to do a car trip (could be overnight) to Samana. I've looked at the maps and have a good idea how to travel. But any advice on choice of route ? Roads to avoid ? Approx. drive time ? (I drive fast).

Anyone with knowledge of any would be greatly appreciated... Thanks :nervous:

Samana is not a destination to just do an overnight in. If you don't have a minimum of two nights (talking minimum), it is not worth the trip, it will be a total waste. Will take you four hours to get there and four hours back, unless you fly there.

If you will be visiting Juan Dolio, then check out Boca Chica beach, also La Romana. Take the tour of the Cueva de las Maravillas from San Pedro de Macoris to la Romana. There visit Dominicus beach (public beach entrance is between Viva Dominicus Palace and Hacienda Iberostar. Also visit Altos de Chavon and La Marina de Chavon in Casa de Campo.

If you will be driving, just stay on the road that heads east all the time, that will take you through San Pedro city. While it is a slower route, you will not get lost. The signage on the expressway, the Autovia del Este, is confusing.

See Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, La Romana links at http://dr1.com/travel/index.shtml

And of course, if you are near Santo Domingo, then tour the capital city, especially the colonial city part of town.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Fast Drive to Saman?....?

icey said:
... But any advice on choice of route? Approx. drive time ? (I drive fast).

1. Route: S.D. - Piedra Blanca - Maim?n - Cotui - Pimentel - Castillo - Nagua - S?nchez - Las terrenas or further on to Saman? de Santa Barbara - Las Galeras

Others prefer to stay on the Highway to turn off to SFdM.
More miles, smoother, same time (about 4 hours/ to Las Terrenas).
Don't drive fast. If you do, you might not get there.

2. Restaurants, Hotels:
Depends where in Saman? you want to go.
For LT, I recommend Punta Bonita Beach and its choice of hotels there.

M'frog
www.samanave.com