Juan Dolio - some help please???

marylou22

Mar 3, 2005
hello everybody,

hoping you can help, there are 4 of us going to stay in the Barcelo Talanquera resort in june. i have heard seriously bad things and some good. has anyone stayed there?
also whats the weather like in June. I'm from ireland and not used to humidity - is it really bad? i've also heard that its rainy season from june to oct! how bad will it be? what temps are average in june? also, are there many mosquito's??? i'm not planning on taking malaria protection but i've been advised to even tho its Haiti thats the malaria risk and not the DOM Rep??

any help would be very much appreciated.

ta

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
According to our sources in the past two or three weeks there hasn't been a single case of malaria reported in the DR, including the Haitian resident populations. Dominican physicians do not recommend prophylaxis for malaria to their patients when traveling domestically. Malaria risk is practically null at the present time.

Because of global warming, rainy season can happen any time. Juan Dolio is a drier than normal area. Rainfall is scarce and rain bursts, with few exceptions, are short. Yes, it is humid, but hot summers are easier to bare here because of the sea breeze.

Juan Dolio/Guayacanes have lots of restaurant options outside of the hotels. If your hotel plan is cheap, then take advantage of the many restaurants in the area.

Mosquitos not a problem, just bring repellent in case mosquitos take to you.

http://dr1.com/travel/expect/weather.shtml

marylou22

Mar 3, 2005
thats really helpful, thanks for that. i really don't want to take malaria tabs as i've heard so much bad stuff bout them.

ta, i'll look forward to a nice dry holiday..

Dolores said:
According to our sources in the past two or three weeks there hasn't been a single case of malaria reported in the DR, including the Haitian resident populations. Dominican physicians do not recommend prophylaxis for malaria to their patients when traveling domestically. Malaria risk is practically null at the present time.

Because of global warming, rainy season can happen any time. Juan Dolio is a drier than normal area. Rainfall is scarce and rain bursts, with few exceptions, are short. Yes, it is humid, but hot summers are easier to bare here because of the sea breeze.

Juan Dolio/Guayacanes have lots of restaurant options outside of the hotels. If your hotel plan is cheap, then take advantage of the many restaurants in the area.

Mosquitos not a problem, just bring repellent in case mosquitos take to you.

http://dr1.com/travel/expect/weather.shtml

Last edited:

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Hot n humid

Hi,

In June as for the rest of the year, it will be hot in Juan Dolio. Humidity is part of the DR experience, but in most hotels you will have access to air-conditioning. But hey, if you get really hot, why not take a dip in the sea followed by some really ice cold presidente beers....
Have a blast!!

marylou22

Mar 3, 2005
ha hahahah thanks, altho i must admit, the ice cool beer is alot more appealing than the swimming....

marylou22

Mar 3, 2005
REALLY? SEE I'M HEARING REALLY MIXED REVIEWS OF THE PLACE. THE AMERICANS SEEM TO REALLY NOT LIKE IT, THE EUROPEANS ARE FINE WITH IT. I GENUINELY MEAN NO OFFENSE BY THAT STATEMENT, ITS JUST AMERICAN'S STANDARDS ARE VERY HIGH AS YE ARE USED TO THE VERY BEST.
GREAT, AH WELL PAID FOR NOW. NOTHING I CAN DO. IF ITS THAT BAD WE'LL HAVE TO GET DRUNK AND FORGET ABOUT IT....

Hlywud said:
My daughter stayed at this hotel. I hate to tell you this but these are her words. A filthy dump, shity beach and awful food.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I like your attitude Marylou!!!! You'll be fine.......

While not great Talanquera is not the best but better than others in the area.
The room will be relatively comfortable and there are many,many fine restaurants in the area when you tire of mediocre buffet food at the resort.
Take a walk down to the public beach area (about 1 1/2 kms in the direction of Santo Domingo) on the beach road and you'll find Il Capuccino for coffee,lunch and cold cerveza. Also four good Italian restaurants (Bahia del Duke is cheapest!).
Have a blast while you're here.........
We had friends who stayed there before Christmas (from Canada) and they agreed that for what they paid they got more than they had payed for!

king kong

Mar 4, 2005
marylou22 said:
hello everybody,

hoping you can help, there are 4 of us going to stay in the Barcelo Talanquera resort in june. i have heard seriously bad things and some good. has anyone stayed there?
also whats the weather like in June. I'm from ireland and not used to humidity - is it really bad? i've also heard that its rainy season from june to oct! how bad will it be? what temps are average in june? also, are there many mosquito's??? i'm not planning on taking malaria protection but i've been advised to even tho its Haiti thats the malaria risk and not the DOM Rep??

any help would be very much appreciated.

ta
marylou i was there i had a very good time you will have a lot of fun the beach is good but not like punta cana the guys that work there are fun the drinks are good food is ok dont make calls in your room go to a shop to use the telly and i from new york i wish i was going with you im going back in my well have a great time from king kong

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
And it's close to Santo Domingo, all of you can take a bus and see the city and the people. Colonial Zone, Artesanal market or Shopping centers.

marylou22

Mar 3, 2005
thanks everybody!!!

ta everybody, can't wait till i go now...whhhooohhhoo ;) only about 100 days to go!!!(how sad am i that i know that)

i'll check in and let y'all know how i got on when i get back.....

x