So far 2 trips to DR in 2005!!!

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Let me attempt to write up a mixed trip report on my last two trips to DR...hopefully it will be as good as ever!

Jan 22-31 FIRST TRIP...
I had met through the 'net this guy from a TV show in DR, he picked me up at the airport and we had made plans to go see Las Aguilas-Licey, and during the week he would introduce me to different radio and tv people so I could continue my quest to find a job and move to SDQ.

The Sofitel Nicolas de Ovando in Zona Colonial is a gorgeous hotel, I had a beautiful room w/breakfast for only $55 a night, because my daughter used to work for the co. and she got me a great deal!

Sat. night went to the game with Roberto, then to eat and back to the hotel. He had 'something to do' (at around 1:00 a.m.!! I wonder who she was!!!)

Sun. he took me to El Conde, then to pick up his wife and a friend and we went to eat 'Chicharrones in Villa Mella'...(those pics are in the Media Gallery...)

At around 5 pm he dropped me off at Jan's house, and I was finally ready to go have some fun!!!

Jan and Felix took me to the Colmado, where we met some of Jan's friends and were drinking and enjoying ourselves for a while there...But...I wanted to go dancing...so Felix (who had a car) took us to TeleDebate...I know that's not the name of the place, but it's what everyone calls it! It's on 27 de Febrero and M?ximo G?mez...Funny enough, it was the same place my friend FrankyLover took me to have lunch on one of my other trips...Talk about a small world...only this time...they had a band playing, the place was packed and we had a blast!!!

Jan hooked me up with a cute little boy (22) that is in one of the baseball academies there (he already had conversations with the Boston Red Sox, maybe we'll see him playing for them one of these days)...He kept looking at me, but was somehow shy and I was dying to dance...so Jan talked to him, in her 'broken Dominican Spanish'...and he was my dance partner for most of the night...

I called FrankieLover, told him where we were, and he came over with a friend...I danced with him too, after he put the girl in a cab to send her back home...I think he had other ideas in mind...but he wasn't counting on me!

Monday, Roberto went MIA...he couldn't come to pick me up at all...kept calling to tell me 'later, later'...but later never came...

Jan, Felix, a friend of Felix and I decided we wanted to go dancing again, so it was back to TeleDebate...

As soon as we hit the place and sat at our table, I noticed this guy seating in a table across from us...alone...but all of a sudden, this handsome, tall young man came to sit with him...We kind of locked eyes for about 2 minutes, but then I went to dance with Felix's (ugly) friend...

On my way back to the table, I could see him checking me out...and I couldn't take my eyes off of him...

This went on for about 3 HOURS!!! :cry: I was dying, but I knew as long as there was another guy at our table, he would not come over to ask me to dance...Soooo...I told Jan, she told Felix and he took care of the rest...

Finally, he comes over and takes me dancing...We clicked right away...dancing bachata and merengue...4 songs in a row...He asked if I wanted to sit with them at their table, but I said it would not be nice if I left Jan alone, so I invited them to sit at our table...

His name is Tony, his friend is Dickson...(Dickson is visiting, he lives in Spain)

At around 4:00 a.m, he tells me he needs to go home because he works at 9 a.m....He has his own car, and offers to take me back to the hotel...just to drop me off, Dickson is with him...and he wants to see me again the rest of my time in SDQ...

I politely decline his offer, and we exchange phone numbers...He wants me to call him in the morning so we could go see a game that Tuesday night...

Jan, Felix, the friend and I go to have 'breakfast'...and then they take me to the hotel...

Tue. is very cloudy, I can't even go to the pool, so I order lunch (woke up really late, since I didn't get back to the hotel until 6:00 a.m.) and then Tony calls...Wow!

We make plans for him to pick me up later on, to go see a baseball game...He's also an aguilucho...

Roberto never calls, or shows up...He had mentioned something about a government job he was supposed to interview for, so I figure maybe that's what he's doing...

I call Jan, she's also spending the day in bed...I meet up with her...(I can't believe how easily I found my way around Zona Colonial from the hotel to her apt.) at around 5:00 p.m....We go to the colmado, talk to Rodolfo....(who apparently likes me a lot!) and wait for Tony to come pick me up...Jan reminds me of 'dominican time'....he had said around 8:00 p.m....10 minutes to 8 he shows up...we are both in shock! A punctual dominican! Another WOW!!!

Tony and I go to watch the game at a sports bar, he buys me some 'pastelitos' since I hadn't had dinner, and we watch the game...but it's getting a little boring...Las Aguilas are losing, again...so we decide to go dancing...to the place were we met...

The lady in the bathroom recognizes me, three days in a row, and laughs...she asks me if I met anyone and I tell her yes!!!

We dance till almost 2 a.m., then he brings me back to the hotel....Some little kisses, and we say goodbye!

At this point, I was unsure whether to stay for the whole week or not, maybe I could leave on Thursday, and save some money...Roberto is not coming through with his offerings, and I was really thinking it was a waste of time...

Wed. morning, early, Tony calls me again...he wants to see me that afternoon...he works till 6, but can pick me up around 8 again...

At 7 he calls again to tell me that his friend Dickson had borrowed the car, and was not back yet...but he still wants to see me...I tell him that I could have dinner with Jan and wait for him but not too late...At 10 p.m. he calls to say he has the car, but I tell him it's too late and I'm already doing something with Jan...( We were just walking around Zona Colonial, talking and telling each other our life stories)...He's dissapointed, and asks to see me on Thursday...Jan convinces me to leave the hotel and come stay the rest of the week with her...so I agree...I really don't want to leave DR...I know I could have a lot of fun just being with Jan, around the colmado and eating the wonderful 'chimis' that Ceasar makes...

Thurs. Tony calls early in the morning, for sure we are going out that night...he invites me to the movies to go see "Los locos tambien piensan"...

I love the idea, haven't been to the movies with a guy, on a date, in ages...

He arrives early, around 7:30...since the movie doesn't start till 9:30 we have time to go walk around el Malecon, and get to know each other...

I tell him about me, and he tells me about his life...He's 28, single, never been married, no kids anywhere...lives with his Mom, who's raising his cousins (the mom lives in Spain since the divorce, making money to support her kids) she's here now visiting, along with his grandma and an aunt who live in Pennsylvania...

He bought the car from his friend when he moved to Spain, he studied Marketing and English, so we talk in English 'to practice'...Not bad!!!

He doesn't smoke, loves to dance, doesn't have a girlfriend (broke up with the last one, who was also older than him, about 6 months ago)...

(I also later found out that he was TWO bank accounts, with money in them that he's saving to buy his mother a house, a passport and no intention of ever leaving DR)

Ok...so we go into the theater, holding hands, he buys the tickets, popcorn and soda for both, and would not take any money from me!!! Could this be possible??? ;)

The movie is a little funny, but nothing out of this world, I just enjoy the fact that I'm in DR on a movie date!!! :bandit: Holding hands, and in the company of a young really cute stud...!!!

Ok...this is getting long...I think I'll write part II tomorrow...

Can you wait??? I promise...it gets better....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It Is Called:..."TeleOfertas"!!!!!!!

Because it is next to a local "Landmark" store that sells new and "Used" furniture,and everything else the "Used Car Salesmen" type owner can "Buy Low,Sell High" on his TV show!

It has the best "San Cocho" in town! Coooooooold beer till the "wee hours!"

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
CC...you're right!!!

I don't know why...but everytime I say the name of the place I get it confused with Teledebate...Tony always laughs at me for that...and now in the story I did it again!!

It is TELEOFERTAS...(But that is not the real name...do you know what it is?)

I LOVE THAT PLACE!!!

And Jan, yes...you're getting a little bit ahead of me...I haven't had a chance to write part II yet...but it's coming!

MQ

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Part 2....second trip to DR this year...and counting!!!

Before I continue with my trip report...I forgot to mention that Monday of that first week, I had the pleasure of meeting the president of Acroarte, Don Feliz Vinicio Lora and the vice-president, whose name escapes me right now...They are in one of the pics posted in the gallery...

Anyway, here we go...where did I leave off? Oh, yes...the movies...

The whole movie experience is very romantic, he feeds me popcorn, we share the soda, laugh at the jokes...really nice!!!

Afterwards...we go dancing again...the lady that takes care of the bathroom at the place already recognizes me and she laughs when she sees me there one more time!!!

Fri. is a date night, right? So we make a date, this time his aunt that lives in Spain wants to join us...she's great!!! Really happy person, she brings a friend and the 4 of us have a wonderful time!!! At the end of the night we are ready to spend the last few nights together...so Tony suggests we do just that...I only have 3 nights left on my trip...might as well make the best of them, right? ;)

Since I'm staying at Jan's, Auntie suggests that we go back to Tony's house...he lives in the back separated from the main house, I feel funny doing that, but they both assure me that it will be fine with the rest of the family...

Sat. Tony works for 4 hours that day, so before he leaves he tells me to stay in bed, resting (we hadn't slept!) that another aunt will bring me breakfast!!! After a couple of hours, I hear a little knock at the door and this adorable sweet lady comes in with my coffee!! This is better than the Sofitel!!!

The rest of the day I'm in complete heaven, I meet Grandma, she's such a sweet, funny and active little old lady!!!, another aunt (that's 3 already) and the kids...(Tony's cousins)....Nicole is 11, and she calls him 'Daddy' ever since she was little...we become friends fast...everyone seems to like me...but I haven't met his Mom yet, she's working until 3...

Tony comes home from work and we have lunch: rice, (I ask for 'concon'...they laugh, they didn't think I knew what it was, but I LOVE it!!!) tostones and a stewed meat that tastes like heaven!!!...

Ok...Mom is home...Grandma had already told me (as well as Tony) that she has NEVER liked anyone that Tony has brought home...but to pay no attention, that's just the way she is...

To everyone's surprise, we hug and kiss when we meet, and start talking as if we've known each other for years...So far, so good...

That afternoon we go visit one of the aunt's house she's just bought...it's beautiful...at the end of a street, very private...huge, beautiful brand new house!!!

At night we go out with Dickson and his 'girlfriend'...(only while he's in the DR, he has another one in Spain!) first to watch one of the games at a sports bar and then dancing...

Sunday morning we wanted to go to the beach with the kids, but it turns out the day is cloudy and it looks like it's gonna rain...so we stay in bed until noon, the kids and the aunts come in and out of the room just talking and telling jokes, just like if I've been part of the family forever!

For lunch we meet Mom's gentleman caller, (she has never remarried) who they tell me also has never liked anyone...but he likes me!!!!

We have a great time...but I'm getting a little sad, it's my last day there...I come home Monday morning...

That night Tony and I stay up until really late, talking...sharing dreams and aspirations...and we decide to give this thing a try...

I tell him I have never had a Dominican boyfriend, a real boyfriend...because I can't handle the lies and the cheating...but I will give him the benefit of the doubt, and try to have a relationship...

I have to tell you that all this week, while we were together, and we were together a lot, he never received one phone call from another girl, everytime the phone rang he answered and it was either his family or one of his guy friends...no women, so I have no reason to think that he might have anyone else...although I don't altogether discard that possibility...but to go for a whole week without a woman calling is a big thing especially for a Dominican man...right?

We make plans for me to go back in February, for President's Day I have the weekend off...and...it's only 2 1/2 weeks away...

My plane leaves at 8:50 on Monday morning, and I'm coming right to work from the airport...not at all sad like on my previous trips...

Tony calls me as soon as I come in to the office, just to make sure I am OK...

He's a little sad...but waiting for my return...We talk everyday...he either calls me, or I call him...we e-mail each other every other day...

On Feb. 14 he wakes me up with a call at 8:00 a.m....How sweet!!! He promises we'll celebrate that weekend...I arrive on Friday the 18th...

Grandma begs Tony to take her with him to the airport to greet me...she hugs me and holds on to me all through the trip back to the house...There, everyone is waiting for me, we have dinner and make OUR plans for the weekend...

Sat. morning my baby goes to work, but he has already arranged to rent a car in the afternoon for us to go to Nagua until Monday night...

We leave Sto. Dgo. around 3:00 p.m....We stop at Turey for 'bolitas de queso' and something to drink, taking in all the beautiful scenery of my 'country'...and talking non-stop...

At around 7:00 we get to Nagua, to another aunt's apartment...also brand new...beautiful, big...really comfortable...There's no electricity when we get there, but when we come back from the 'colmado' from buying candles, the lights are on...

That night Rafaelito (a friend of the family) meets us and we go have dinner and then dancing...(can't remember the name of the club, but it's next to an aparthotel, maybe someone knows what it is?)

Sun. it's the BIG day for us to go to La Vega and experience Carnaval...Tony explains to me about the 'vejigas' and the 'diablos'...but I kind of take it lightly...until I see them coming and hitting people...and after remembering a post by AZB when he mentioned how hard they hit...I take cover with my back flat against a wall until they go by!!!

We eat cotton candy (he feeds me), chocolate ice cream, anything I want...

(By the way, just in case you're wondering...Tony is paying for ALL of this...he won't let me spend a 'chele')...

That night, coming back is when we encounter the 'protesta' where they hit our car with stones...that's in another thread...and in my "On the spot" interview...

Tony is very upset for me, he wanted the whole weekend to be a beautiful experience, so I tell him that it really doesn't matter, reassure him that the important thing is that we're both ok... and together...

Ok...enough for today...

I'm actually at work....I'll be back in a couple of days.... ;)

Shyla

Mar 14, 2005
On with your story

It's March 16 and I can't wait to hear the rest of your story. I feel like someone tore the last few pages out of my book! I really hope it has a wonderful continuation...
--Shyla

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Hate to rain on your parade...

but as anyone else would tell you you were on vacation, so please don't think it will be like this if and when you move there and the family sees you every day.

The courtship is very romantic, but why is it such a big deal that he payed for everything? I find it strange that you expect to be wined and dined in a thirld world country and you use that as some sort of yardstick to measure his sincerity. If he was killing himself to come up with some cash to take you out, would that make him even more sincere?

Of course the family loves you and treats you as if they have known you for years-they probably want to make a good impression on you because having a caucasian in the family will become a source of pride for them-why I do not know.

No need to be offended-I just want you to be careful and my opinions are just that-opinions.

Some people are obviously lacking true love and affection in their lives-my hard-earned experience tells me that if you can't find it where you are you will not find it in the DR. You are being duped big-time. Though I sincerly want things to work out for you, I feel this will end badly.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Oooohhhh!!

I understand your concerns...believe me, I have thought about all that already...

But...since we are always talking about 'sankies' and how women pay for the pleasure of their company...I thought I let everyone know that after going to DR 10 times in 3 years, and having met tons of people there...I have finally found someone that meets HB's 3 golden rules and I want to give this relationship a chance...

This time I wasn't even on vacation, I was actually there looking for a job, not a man...

Believe me, here it's even harder to find a good man...I am a career woman, established, with no major debt, living in a beautiful apt. at the beach, with a brand new car, nice clothes, not too bad looking, and the men I meet here (bankers, lawyers, drs. you name it!)...the first thing they ask is : Who do you live with? If I tell them by myself...they fall in love in an instant...they are looking for someone to support THEM!!!

I'll take your advice though...I am taking this thing very slow... He really is not killing himself to wine and dine me, he makes good money at his job...and like I said has no other obligations but to help his mom...Until now I have not had anything to doubt his sincerity...no red flags anywhere...and trust me...I can spot red flags!!!

Thanks for your concern!!!

MQ

I will post the rest of the report on Saturday morning....

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Jon, baby!!!

I'll be there on Wed. 3/23 until Monday 3/28...Staying in Sto. Dgo., except maybe for Fri. 'cause Tony's Mom has a sister in Santiago she'll like to visit for the day...
We'll see...
MQ

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
We gotta meet up again before you go

Send me a PM with some contact info down in DR so we can get in touch..........you're leaving two days after I get there.

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
the second part!?

Wheres the last part of the story??? Its now July....nearly August...... is it in another thread??

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Thanks for caring...

After the first two trips, I haven't had time to write the second part of that story...because I have been to DR to visit my now fiance every month this year!!!

Let me just say that the paperwork for him to come to the US on a fiance visa has been approved already here, and we are now awaiting news from the National Visa Center, who will (after I pay for it!) send the whole thing to Santo Domingo for the interview and final approval of his visa.

We are very happy and anxious to be together...this one has a happy ending!!!

Pictures to come...and like I said before, anyone who can make it to Miami is invited to the wedding! It will be the talk of the town!!! THE wedding of the CENTURY!!!

MQ

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Outcomes like this are heart-warming, congrats! It also proves a thing or 2 to the many ignorant and cynical posters who , for whatever reason, believe all Dominican men are sankies with ulterior motives...wishing you both many years of happiness in your life together!

d72

Apr 11, 2005
Hey Congrats

Congratulations, nice story, thankfully I read it all in one shot and didnt have to wait the 5 months for the whole thing. ;)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Don't forget to give us the details of the wedding plans...

A wedding of the Century in Miami sounds like something I just might attend!! ;)

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Maybe its jealousy MQ! You know how some people in this world dont know how to be happy for others because they are so miserable with their own lives...ya think???? ;)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Thanks, everyone...

drloca and jellylegs2002...for your kind words...I agree, jellylegs2002...people tend to generalize and it's not good for anyone...

Besides, Tony has never worked in a hotel, he has a degree in marketing and speaks fairly good English...We always joke about him not being able to become a 'sankie' because 'sankies' rely heavily on their talking and convincing abilities to catch their prey, and my Tony is so shy that he could never muster up the courage to talk to anyone much less try to convince them of anything! If you read my story, we were flirting with each other for 3 hours before he came to ask me to dance....And he told me later that the reason he waited so long was because he was afraid I was going to say no to him if he asked me to dance! :nervous:

Anyway...to POP and Mr_DR...Even if it's 3 years only, I much rather have 3 years with Tony than with anyone else!!! He's a great human being, and he's shown that he truly loves me...I won't get into details...but believe me, I know what I'm saying!!! ;)

MQ

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
MQ, I dont doubt the integrity of your relationship at all...after all, why do us women have to justify ourselves or our relationships with Dominican men to these people. ;)