Santo Domingo to Bahia de las Aguilas

ninnees1

Mar 3, 2005
Plan on spending 2 days in Santo Domingo (colonial zone). I have 4 days to drive some other areas.

I was thinking about visiting La Romana/Bayhibe area for 2 days, the drive looks pretty easy. I really wanted to visit Bahia de las Aguilas for a day trip, but I can't find directions on how to get there from Santo Domingo. It looks like I follow the coatal road to Barahona, but I don't know how to get to the middle of a brush dessert. How many hours will it take? Can someone please help?

-OR-

Drive to Samana, spend 3 days there. Besides the natural attractions is it really isolated. I perfer to be in a town where there is some activies, local people, restaturants, etc. I don't want to be bored. Any suggestions?

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Beautiful But Boring...

ninnees1 said:
Plan on spending 2 days in Santo Domingo (colonial zone). I have 4 days to drive some other areas.

I was thinking about visiting La Romana/Bayhibe area for 2 days, the drive looks pretty easy. I really wanted to visit Bahia de las Aguilas for a day trip, but I can't find directions on how to get there from Santo Domingo. It looks like I follow the coatal road to Barahona, but I don't know how to get to the middle of a brush dessert. How many hours will it take? Can someone please help?

-OR-

Drive to Samana, spend 3 days there. Besides the natural attractions is it really isolated. I perfer to be in a town where there is some activies, local people, restaturants, etc. I don't want to be bored. Any suggestions?

Bahia de las Aguilas is very beautiful but also very isolated. The closest town is Perdinales and there is absolutely nothing to do there at all except watch grass grow.From Santo Domingo to there is at least 5 hours by car and longer if you don't know the road. If you don't have an SUV, it can sometimes be very difficult to get back to the nicest beaches there.
But if you go anyway, be sure to stop at the little roadside bar with the cold mountain water stream for a cold Presidente. Then continue on the costal highway until you come to the airplane runway that is on the right side of the road. Take a left there and start looking for beaches. Good luck.

Regards

ninnees1

Mar 3, 2005
Thanks :classic: -- for the directions, with more research from the folks here our plans have changed. We will save Bahia de las Aguilas for another visit. Right now we can't decided between Samana or Punta Cana for 3 days. I know Punta Cana is touristy, but the beaches look wonderful and the drive seems simple compared to driving to Samana. Hopefully we will decided soon, as we are leaving in a few weeks.....in any instance I will return with a trip report.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you want a vacation, would recommend that you stick to the southeast. There is enough to see and do from Santo Domingo all the way to Bayahibe.

Drive through Boca Chica to see the beach. If you like a surfing beach, check out Caribbean Sun (Playa Caribe)-- if it is before noon -- in the afternoon (and on weekends, it gets crowded. If it is a weekday, it will be quite empty and enjoyable.

Other options is the new Aura in Juan Dolio. Do a search for photos in this forum.

As you tour through this area, check out the hotels on the way. Lots of small ones, too. Try to get a rate that will be low enough so you wont mind doing meals outside the hotel.

There are a bunch of good restaurants -- Meson (for Spanish food), El Ensue?o for Italian, La Cucina de la Mamma for Italian...

Then head for La Romana and Bayahibe. The best Bayahibe beach is in the Dominicus area, between Wyndham Viva Dominicus Palace and Iberostar Hacienda (it is a public beach strip).

Tour La Romana (Altos de Chavon, Marina de Casa de Campo) and the town.

For listings of hotels in these areas see:

http://dr1.com/directories/index.shtml