Fast Motorcycles

aerobaticman

Nov 10, 2004
I was just wondering if there are any DR1's out there that ride fast motorcycles?

No, I'm not talking about itty bitty moto-concho's, or idiots driving crotch rockets with sandles and a T-shirt.

I'm talking about people with motorcycle clothes, leathers, and grinding your knee slider on the asphalt at 80 mph.....

"I'm talking about people with motorcycle clothes, leathers, and grinding your knee slider on the asphalt at 80 mph....."

Where!, DO YOU HAVE A DEATH WISH!

4-21-02_b.jpg

1099120144.jpg

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
aerobaticman said:
I was just wondering if there are any DR1's out there that ride fast motorcycles?

No, I'm not talking about itty bitty moto-concho's, or idiots driving crotch rockets with sandles and a T-shirt.

I'm talking about people with motorcycle clothes, leathers, and grinding your knee slider on the asphalt at 80 mph.....
Grinding knees ont he asphalt would be tough..there is so little asphalt! It might be easier to just play 'dodge the hole.'

This does bring up a similar question. I have a couple of nice Indian Spirits in the U.S. I was considering bringing down to the DR. Anyone know of a club r where I can get parts if I need to? I know I'm daft to consider this...but I've been called worse!

I really can't see grinding my knee on a 1400cc Indian, tho.

aerobaticman

Nov 10, 2004
I want to live - so I enjoy life

Hlywud - yes I have seen and been in an accident or two. I've seen family in accidents. 99.999% of the time it's not the fault of the motorcycle driver- it's the fault of the other driver. I always wear full gear, take regular refresher classes, and remember yes I am human and breakable.

Castellamonte - yes the last few times I've been back in the DR, I can attest to the lack of asphalt. Or the over abondance of holes. Some of the freeways look okay for a quick jont up to some high speeds. Fastest I've got my baby is to 220 kph on the autobahn racing a Porsche. Poor bugger didn't have a chance from the start line :eek:

Also our instructor rides a Honda Goldwing and on track days he does get his knee slider grinding on the asphalt in the turns! As he says, he's having a tupper wear party!

I'm in Europe, love the mountains for all the twisties, and the autobahns where you can scream wide open as you wish. Yes I know, in the DR, I'm going to have to tame it down due to the roads, or should I say lack of roads?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Yeah, I have my Indians up in the Pennsylvania Poconos. Those pass for mountains around here although they really aren't much more than large bumps compared to real mountains. Anyhow, cruising on the Indians up through the 'Pocs' is super fun. Sure wish I could do it in the DR.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
aerobaticman said:
99.999% of the time it's not the fault of the motorcycle driver- it's the fault of the other driver.

That may be true, but who ends up face down on the pavement bleeding???

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
I wouldn't ride fast motorcycles in the DR. The roads are horrible, what are ya thinking?

That's far too dangerous not for just you, but for everyone else around you. The potholes are just too big and too many, I've seen way too many guys even on mopeds dodge a hole at the last second and fly into the other lane hitting a car in the DR.

In the US when motorcycles crash it's usually because people are switching lanes and don't see them, in the DR it's the motorcycle dodging the thousands of potholes or the cars dodging them while a stupid guy on a motorcycle goes in between the cars. I'd avoid a "fast" motorcycle, seems like it would only make the inevitable accident worse.

aerobaticman

Nov 10, 2004
Worry Warts

For all of you worrying about me crashing and bleeding to death - thanks for the concern - but ultimately it's my choice. I don't do stupid things, like driving doing a burn out at 100 mph in a residental zone with children around. I simply go fast on roads that can handle it, preferably the freeway.

And no worries, I have no death wish at all. I simply prefer to experience life - rather than watch it on TV. ;) :bandit: