NYC dinner

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
After the reunion last month, we were talking about meeting up again later this month but Talldrink will be away from the 25th until the 30th so I suggest moving the date ahead or back a week so we wont miss her. I was also hoping we could do it on a Saturday night instead of a Friday.

Any ideas on dates, locations, etc..? Let's get a list together.

Larry

Larry said:
After the reunion last month, we were talking about meeting up again later this month but Talldrink will be away from the 25th until the 30th so I suggest moving the date ahead or back a week so we wont miss her. I was also hoping we could do it on a Saturday night instead of a Friday.

Any ideas on dates, locations, etc..? Let's get a list together.

Larry

Ok Talldrink won't be here for my Birthday on the 25th :( I say lets do it on the 9th of April on a Saturday night. I would like to see everyone show up on time so we could have a decent dinner and some drinks then goto another location nearby for some real partying ;)
Badpiece

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
badpiece33 said:
Ok Talldrink won't be here for my Birthday on the 25th :( I say lets do it on the 9th of April on a Saturday night. I would like to see everyone show up on time so we could have a decent dinner and some drinks then goto another location nearby for some real partying ;)
Badpiece

OK, I am in.

Happy Birthday you old bastard.

Larry

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Why don't you guys try a Non Dominican Restaurant where they won't attempt to rip you off like they did at DRK EVERY time? The food isn't even anything like I have had in the DR.

I originally wanted to eat at Carmines for the first get together but was outvoted. Got overpriced, non Dominican food that was just ok instead of great food NYC has to offer.

Now Carmines is served family style and is really reasonably priced great food unlike DRK.

What the hell is the facination with this place?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Escott said:
Why don't you guys try a Non Dominican Restaurant where they won't attempt to rip you off like they did at DRK EVERY time? The food isn't even anything like I have had in the DR.

I originally wanted to eat at Carmines for the first get together but was outvoted. Got overpriced, non Dominican food that was just ok instead of great food NYC has to offer.

Now Carmines is served family style and is really reasonably priced great food unlike DRK.

I will DEFINITELY try to make it this one....a saturday works better for me too as i am usualy pretty beat on a friday after a long week at work. Non Dominican food is fine with me...and somewhere in midtown vs a trek all the way up to dykman works for me as well (as i live in jersey city and dont have a car). BUt im just one person...and no one has ever met me...and i havent showed up in the past....so i guess my opinion doesnt really count LOL.

Well..i will follow the thread and see what you folks decide.

jj

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Escott said:

I agree and Carmines would be a good idea IMO. Then we could go out to a club in the city or something. It would be more $$$ but a nice change of pace.

The only thing is that everybody would have to show up at the same time. We would have to make a specific reservation at Carmines and would not be able to hold a table for 4 hours like we do at DRK. This could be a problem.

edited to add: actually, I think Carmines might not be the best idea for the reason I stated above. Why dont we find a nice place down in the Village with good food and music where we can get a table for the evening? Bugsy, you are the Manhattanite, find a nice place for us.

Larry

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Larry said:
I agree and Carmines would be a good idea IMO. Then we could go out to a club in the city or something. It would be more $$$ but a nice change of pace.

The only thing is that everybody would have to show up at the same time. We would have to make a specific reservation at Carmines and would not be able to hold a table for 4 hours like we do at DRK. This could be a problem.

edited to add: actually, I think Carmines might not be the best idea for the reason I stated above. Why dont we find a nice place down in the Village with good food and music where we can get a table for the evening? Bugsy, you are the Manhattanite, find a nice place for us.

Larry

Larry...i am liking your thinking more and more! The problem with Carmines on a saturday night will be the theatre crowd. Sure we could book for after 8pm....but out of towners would have to contend with times sq parking (not an easy task on a busy saturday night).

I work in Tribecca...and i schlep thru the village most evenings to take the 9th street path train home...there are many decent not to $$$ places in the village that could accomodate us i would think. DAYOO is a decent (a little pricey...but not too bad) carribean joint on greenwich ave between 7th & 8th. They are never jammed packed....so they might be able to accomodate....i will walk by next saturday night and see how busy they are.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Larry said:

Larry
Carmines would be way cheaper than DRK and good food to boot. You sit till you are finished and they don't rush you. I always feel like I can sit there all night just to look at the beautiful women constantly walking by me at the table.

Meet one hour early at the bar and have a few drinks.

Scott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
jrzyguy said:
Larry...i am liking your thinking more and more! The problem with Carmines on a saturday night will be the theatre crowd. Sure we could book for after 8pm....but out of towners would have to contend with times sq parking (not an easy task on a busy saturday night).

I work in Tribecca...and i schlep thru the village most evenings to take the 9th street path train home...there are many decent not to $$$ places in the village that could accomodate us i would think. DAYOO is a decent (a little pricey...but not too bad) carribean joint on greenwich ave between 7th & 8th. They are never jammed packed....so they might be able to accomodate....i will walk by next saturday night and see how busy they are.
No theater crowd on 100th street and B'way my friend. They have two places ya know. Even decent parking up thataway.

Escott

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I have a suggestion

I would be in for April 2 or 9 for whichever location the group chooses.

There is a Mexican restaurant on 14th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues. The food/drinks are good and very reasonable if you like Mexican food. On Friday and Saturday nights they have 2 Dominican guys who come and play all kinds of latin music with some kind of keyboard. I was there last week and it was lively.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Chris_NJ said:

There is a Mexican restaurant on 14th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues. The food/drinks are good and very reasonable if you like Mexican food. On Friday and Saturday nights they have 2 Dominican guys who come and play all kinds of latin music with some kind of keyboard. I was there last week and it was lively.

I would do that or Carmines uptown. I didn't know there were two Carmines.

Larry

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Escott said:

The facination for me is, that it is the only place that I know how to get to in the city :laugh: However if someone (Patrick) points me in the right direction I will be there!!
John

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
johnsr said:
The facination for me is, that it is the only place that I know how to get to in the city :laugh: However if someone (Patrick) points me in the right direction I will be there!!
John

Try mapquest ;)

Chris_NJ said:

Cant do it there I used to Date the owners wife or exwife :) Sorry but i used to get around a little bit ;)
Badpiece

Escott said:

I am up for this suggestion also but as we all know, you guys come in dribs and drabs it takes some of us all night to show up. I will go anywhere if we are going to get a good turnout (Badpiece Birthday Bash). You cant miss this ;) I would like to meet up for a few drinks then some food, Then the not so faint of heart can come up to washington hgts for a real dominican experience.
Badpiece

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Loving it

Hey you guys Im loving the Carmine idea just make up your mind on the dates and time and ill be there.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Larry, I'm sorry I hadnt checked DR1 all weekend. Unfortunately I will be away for business on the weekend of April 9. I will be around the weekend before or after...

Chris, are you talking about G&G (Gonzales and Gonzales) if so, I like that place. Great Mex food and good music right in the back.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I know I haven't been to a DR1 party but I know a place in Manhattan called Calidad Latina on 9th Avenue between 18th and 19th street. The food is excellent, the prices are reasonable, and the owner Frank is a great guy. If you want to go out later there are plenty of places to choose from.