Best entry for Samana: Santiago or SDO?

SamGompers

Mar 14, 2004
Hello all,

I'm firming up plans for my trip to Las Terrenas. Which is the most convenient entry point for the trip to Samana: Santiago or SDO? We will probably either rent a car or take a taxi to Samana. (Do I need a car in Las Terrenas? And, if I rent one at the airport can I return it in Las Terrenas?)

Thanks

SG

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
LT conditions

SamGompers said:
... Which is the most convenient entry point for the trip to Samana: Santiago or SDO? We will probably either rent a car or take a taxi to Samana. (Do I need a car in Las Terrenas? And, if I rent one at the airport can I return it in Las Terrenas?)

People set for Saman? usually arrive in POP.
Unless you go out of LT-town you won't need a car. (A gas mask is optional.) Concho rides are for the fearless.
Quads are popular and expensive.
I doubt that cars can be left here, certainly not without paying heftily for the return of the vehicle.

m'frog
www.samanave.com

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
SamGompers said:
Hello all,

I'm firming up plans for my trip to Las Terrenas. Which is the most convenient entry point for the trip to Samana: Santiago or SDO? We will probably either rent a car or take a taxi to Samana. (Do I need a car in Las Terrenas? And, if I rent one at the airport can I return it in Las Terrenas?)

Thanks

SG
Santiago is more convenient then SDQ, being closer to Las Terrenas.

If you rent a car from Adventure Rent Car
( http://www.adventurerentcar.com/ ) at Santiago airport, they will charge an extra $50US to come to Las Terrenas to pick up the car. Other rental company will NOT do that.

Driving to Las Terrenas for the first time will be a challenge, taking a taxi is much safer.

There are 4 or 5 Rent a Car companies in Las Terrenas, with prices a little higher than the one from the airport, and they demand that you return the car in Las Terrenas. Negotiate is the name of the game.

WebDev

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Much better to come into Santiago

There are buses that leave four times a day for Saman?.

There are taxis that will take you to LT.

Give me a buzz if you need more help.

HB :D:D

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
The commute from SDO (Ryotsu Sado Island, Japan) would be quite daunting, so Santiago sounds about 11,000 miles closer.