Fire in Dominican Prison Kills at Least 58

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
World - AP Latin America
Fire in Dominican Prison Kills at Least 58

16 minutes ago

World - AP Latin America

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic - Gang members fighting in a provincial Dominican Republic prison set pillows and sheets ablaze, setting a fire that killed at least 58 people, officials said Monday.

Only 26 of 148 inmates were rescued from the public jail in Higuey, in the eastern part of the Dominican Republic, said National Police spokesman Gen. Simon Diaz.

Nestor Vera, chief of the firefighters of Higuey, said, "Most of the prisoners we're seeing are dead or badly wounded. Up to now we've pulled out 58 bodies but we know that there are many more because they're piled up on top of each other."

Dozens of inmates began fighting in the jail Sunday night, Diaz said.

The fight was broken up by guards, but about an hour later many prisoners began rioting, setting fire to pillows and sheets in their cells, Diaz said.

"We are still pulling out the bodies," he said.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The death toll stood at 108 at 10.00 this morning with several already sent to hospital with BAD burns. It appears the authorities have asked for 200 body bags, so obviously the figure of 148 inmates is a figment of someones imagination!!!!

This is the prison that those accused of sex offenses against minors from the Nagua orphanage are being held isn't it? Also that fairly high profile Woman journalist from a Puerto Rican television station that is accused of drug smuggling??

All in all a very NASTY situation. ~ Grahame.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Would this be where the suspects are being held in tragedy that La Flor wrote about?

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
Nelly said:
Would this be where the suspects are being held in tragedy that La Flor wrote about?

I wouldn't think so, as it's about 450 Km. away from POP

I apologise, put brain in gear before opening mouth, Yes, it is very likely, as Higuey is the capital for Punta Cana area.

Last edited:

gringagirly

Mar 7, 2005
the ones accused of murder

apparently the ones being held for the murder of the American girl are still being held in Beron....the police station in Punta Cana...they didnt make it to Higuey.....they were probably due to go there sometime today....
One being held was the boyfriend the other is also Dominican he is a Marine from Cabezza delTorro...(where the murder took place)
Whats going on????? This is not the same Punta Cana....the whole country for that matter is going beserk!!!! I dont feel safe here anymore....meanwhile there is practically a marshall law enforced in Higuey....the family members are going insane......they say there were more than 200 people in that jail, standing room only....there should have only been 70......

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The DR is a nice place until...

something goes wrong. This is when you realize that despite the great things that people say about living there it is STILL a thirld world country and will remain so way after all of us are gone from this earth. This is just another example. Yes, it seems that the place is becoming more violent, but what do you expect with the poverty that is simply crushing these people?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
My condolescense to the family and friends of the victim.

Although I am the first to say that there is indeed an increase in violent crimes in the country, I don't see this as a prime example of that. What we have here is a case of a mixture of crime-for-profit and domestic violence. Something that is not unknown in other parts of the world.

As a woman I have been fortunate not that have been involved, ever, in an abusive or dangerous relationship. I would like to credit my lucky stars more than my brain, but that is only half true. Women are way more likely than men of dying by the hands of a significant other, as such we should be twice as careful as men whom we hang out with.

Trust me; this is not a blame-the-victim assessment of the situation. That poor girl is dead and the only guilty people are the ones that perpetrated this heinous crime; but let?s her death not be in vane, let it serve as a cautionary tales to other women, locals and foreigners that get involved with men they know little of. And I sincerely wish that justice is served in this case.

la flor

Jan 6, 2005
gringagirly said:
apparently the ones being held for the murder of the American girl are still being held in Beron....the police station in Punta Cana...they didnt make it to Higuey.....they were probably due to go there sometime today....
One being held was the boyfriend the other is also Dominican he is a Marine from Cabezza delTorro...(where the murder took place)
Whats going on????? This is not the same Punta Cana....the whole country for that matter is going beserk!!!! I dont feel safe here anymore....meanwhile there is practically a marshall law enforced in Higuey....the family members are going insane......they say there were more than 200 people in that jail, standing room only....there should have only been 70......
it figures that these guys were still being held in the police station, they would of deserved to die in that prison situation....

BushBaby said:
The death toll stood at 108 at 10.00 this morning with several already sent to hospital with BAD burns. It appears the authorities have asked for 200 body bags, so obviously the figure of 148 inmates is a figment of someones imagination!!!!

This is the prison that those accused of sex offenses against minors from the Nagua orphanage are being held isn't it? Also that fairly high profile Woman journalist from a Puerto Rican television station that is accused of drug smuggling??

All in all a very NASTY situation. ~ Grahame.

Now that we got the overcrowding of the prison solved lets fill them back up with the criminals still out on the streets.
Badpiece

gringagirly

Mar 7, 2005
The rumor is

badpiece33 said:
Now that we got the overcrowding of the prison solved lets fill them back up with the criminals still out on the streets.
Badpiece

The rumor on the streets is that they would not LET the prisoners out....

Interesting how the fire department didnt show up for an hour and its within a stones throw away....sad part is some of those prisoners were probably completely innocent with the "quilty until proven innocent law"....

Who says the trujillo regime is gone????????

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
gringagirly said:
sad part is some of those prisoners were probably completely innocent with the "quilty until proven innocent law"....
So true.
Even those who had been rightfully convicted of certain crimes, did not deserve to die such a horrific death.
The only good that can come out of this tragedy, is that it serves as a warning to those who are contemplating commiting crimes.
Dominican prisons are not a good place to be, and if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
gringagirly said:

Interesting how the fire department didnt show up for an hour and its within a stones throw away....sad part is some of those prisoners were probably completely innocent with the "quilty until proven innocent law"....

They were too busy saving a little kitten from a deep hole.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
gringagirly said:

Well, according to the Fire Chief, Fire Dept. wasn't called until fire had been burning about an hour. He said they were told there was a 'little' fire in one of the cells. When they got there & saw the size of it, they called 2 more trucks out. The article in Listin Diario yesterday said the fire fighters had to pass their hoses to surviving prisoners to put the fire out, because firefighters had no access as gates were locked.
I've no idea if this is true, but it is what LD reported Colonel Nestor Veras as saying.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Mr_DR said:
They were too busy saving a little kitten from a deep hole.
Mr. DR, this message from you must have been sent before you got your brain engaged.... This series of deaths (by burning or not) is nothing to joke about..Canadian Bob.