going to dr for the first time in april

randi3939

Mar 6, 2005
does anyone know if you need a visa to leave the AI resorts and just go into town and explore .....randy

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
randi3939 said:
does anyone know if you need a visa to leave the AI resorts and just go into town and explore .....randy
We are not a dictatorship with restrictions on travel within the country.

Once you get past immigration at the airport, seaport, or border checkpoint, you are free to go where ever you want.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Photocopy is good

Please remember to keep your ID or a photo copy of your ID on you at all times. You never know when it will come in handy.

Chuckuindy

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
randi3939

No offense meant, but this was the best laugh of the day. :laugh:

The AIs are in fact on Dominican soil, though they may do their best to make it seem otherwise. :cross-eye

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Have fun

Just be sure that you use common sense when going "downtown". Part of the beauty of travelling to a new country is being to see what it has to offer outside of the AI compound.

Have Fun!!!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Yes you can leave you'll have much more fun exploring than staying cooped up in an AI. I always explore and have had no problem just fun fun I've had. Just use common sense like you would back in your own home town. Rember you are in a different country with different rules and how things are done. Get to know a little about the DR lots of reading on this site for starters that's how I learned.
Most of all have FUN FUN!!! I love the DR I keep coming back! ;)

randi3939

Mar 6, 2005
Thanks for the info and no it wasnt a joke i was told that you couldnt leave the AI so i just wanted to calrify that thanks again

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
randi3939 said:
Thanks for the info and no it wasnt a joke i was told that you couldnt leave the AI so i just wanted to calrify that thanks again
I think you were confusing it with Puerto Rico where leaving the resort area is almost as good as commiting suicide.
Although the AIs resorts may just suggest you don't leave their resort area but that is only because you are indeed 100% safer in there and at the same time they can make more money by you buying from them, it does not mean that you will be needing a passport or a visa to go through the gates.