2 months in the DR

Cdn Girl

Oct 21, 2004
Where to begin.... my boyfriend and I just got home last Thursday from spending 2 months in the Dominican. I must say I had the best time of my life... very sad to be back in cooooold Ontario. We started off in Puerto Plata for a week all inclusive at Puerto Plata Village. The resort was alright... food was crappy. We spent most of the week looking for an apartment... we fell in love with Sosua and Cabarete but decided on Cabarete.

After our week in POP we stayed for a month at SansSouci Plaza... nice but a little pricey. (having the beach as a backyard a very big bonus I must say) Made some friends with the beach dogs, 2 in particular who followed us everywhere! We spent our time mostly lazing around... rented a car a couple of times and drove down most of the North Coast. We went beach hunting one day and stopped at Playa Diamante, Caleton and Grande. We drove up the mountain in Samana looking for waterfalls but decided on staying at Playa Bonita for a while instead because of the time. It was gorgeous. Our friend Ariel didn't tell us that he gets car sick going up mountains though... so that wasn't a pretty sight! We fell in love with Playa Caleton, it is so gorgeous! The water is like swimming in a pool it's so clear! So we rented a scooter the next week and went back. It took almost twice as long to get there than it did by car but was lots of fun anyway. We visited Play Encuentro (surf beach) the next morning before taking the scooter back... wish we had gone there with more time cuz surfing looked like fun.

For our second last week we stayed at La Punta (our apartment at SansSouci was right above Onno's and Bambu so it was a liiiiittle loud at night! kinda hard to sleep!) so the change in noise level was very nice... a little too quiet though, we felt like we were disturbing the peace even by having a swim in the middle of the day! Very nice apartments though.

We stayed at SansSouci Park for our last week... which was interesting. Lots of huge (and I mean HUGE) cockroaches living with us... and geckos too. But at least by now we were used to them.

In all it was a great time. Something we will talk about for the rest of our lives... hopefully we'll be back soon, I miss all of our friends already! Anyone who knows Jackson, Alex and Catherine from Bambu, please say hi from Shawn and Adam! I must say I fell in love with the Dominican... great people, great culture, gorgeous beaches! It couldn't have been any better!

Oh, and for those who have a digital camera, FORMAT means erase memory card, which anyone who owns one should know... but apparently some must find out the hard way... like me, 3 and a half weeks into our trip! Just thought I'd warn you!

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Cdn Girl said:
In all it was a great time. Something we will talk about for the rest of our lives... hopefully we'll be back soon, I miss all of our friends already! Anyone who knows Jackson, Alex and Catherine from Bambu, please say hi from Shawn and Adam! I must say I fell in love with the Dominican... great people, great culture, gorgeous beaches! It couldn't have been any better!
It sounds like you had lots of fun.
As far as the cold goes, aren't you excited it is almost spring in Canada?
you will be able to take that 10 weeks break from the cold.

ddawger

Aug 24, 2004
Wow, sounds like your trip was great Cdn girl. We have been to the DR twice but only for a week at a time. I would love to spend a couple months there. If you feel like posting any of your pictures my wife and I would love to see them.

Cheers :)

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
you will be able to take that 10 weeks break from the cold.

Oh come on, we get at least 11 weeks most years.

Cdn Girl

Oct 21, 2004
pictures...

I would love to post some pictures... I'm just not sure how to go about it. Any help?

Poncho Villa

Mar 8, 2005
If I may be so forward to ask, how much did it cost for these places? Like the apartments and stuff in that area?

thx :)

Cdn Girl

Oct 21, 2004
Prices...

Sans Souci Plaza cost $35 US a night for 2 people, it was alright... the building was right on the beach (directly above D&D) but very loud at night because of the bars... and during the day because of the street. These ones are basically just a bathroom, bedroom and kitchen, no table or couch or anything. Same with Sans Souci Park, which is across the street but it's only $30 US. La Punta was $55 a night for 2 people and it was very nice... we even had a kitchen table and 2 couches! We do have a connection wtih a man that owns Bill's Books who owns a very nice unit at the Windsurf Resort, I could give you his email if you're interested, he rents it out for very cheap! Unfortunately it wasn't available when we needed it.... that's about it, it depends how long you're looking to stay and how comfortable you wanna be! ;)

Poncho Villa

Mar 8, 2005
that helps alot

Thx alot, that was really helpfull.

I went to DR for the first time a couple weeks back for a confrence in Bavaro. Stayed at an all inclusive and inbetween parties :) didnt look around for something more economical. I really want to go back so was looking for a bit more intel.

Thanks again.