Buses from Santiago to Saman? and back

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In the interest of serving the travelling public, please allow me to share with you all the closely guarded secrets of how to get to Saman? from Santiago.
Linea Santiaguera
Location: Calle Pedro Francisco Bon? between San Luis and Mella.
Look for a corner place that says "Linea Julia" (Three different services run out of the same office.
Phone numbers: 809 582 2134 & 582 5709
Who to talk to : Dominga is the Person I talked to (Spanish only, I'm afraid)
Schedule: Leaves Santiago: 8:00 a.m.; 9:00 a.m.; 1:15 p.m. & 2:30p.m.
Leaves Saman?: 6 a.m.; 7:30 a.m. and "about" 1 or 2:30 p.m.
Cost: RD$130 as of 8 March '05.

Cost of taxi from Airport Cibao to Center of town: RD$450 at last time I asked.

Hope this helps.

HB :D:D:D

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
That would be the chicken bus, as Kim calls it. We used it in 2003. Really enjoyed the trip & the interaction with the other passengers & assorted critters. Leaves from the market at the Samana end. I still have not figured out the role of the "conductor" All I saw him do was make jokes and fetch beer for himself and the other staff member. Yeah, you guessed it. The Driver.

noel

Dec 29, 2004
update

Just an update to the info that HB posted. Today I called the phone number he listed and was given the following times (Santiago to Saman?):

8:00am, 9:30am, 1:15pm, 3:00pm

So I guess they've made some small adjustments to a couple of the departure times.

For what it's worth to anybody interested, I've found the guagua to be a wonderful method of transport to and from Saman?. Seems like the one that leaves at 8 from Santiago is usually the biggest one -- a sort of bus -- whereas the later ones are vans. The bus is roomier but the seats aren't as soft. In any case, the trip is pleasant, very scenic, and you can't beat the price. They always make a stop at a very clean roadside cafe about halfway along where you can get all sorts of food, use the restroom, etc. I see no reason to pay more for a Caribe Tours bus and go through the hassle of changing in San Francisco, or taking the less-direct route along the north coast.

HB's post with the times should be a stickie!