Guayacanes/San Pedro/La Romana

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Saludos! I just returned from 8 more days of fun and sun. This is my 30 something'th visit to the DR within the past 15 years. As always I returned with great memories, some good photos, great music, and no malaria (so far).

I stayed for a few days at the (new?) Hotel Tropical Dream, formerly Hotel Barcelo Naiboa. I had stayed there before and noted that nothing had changed.

I like the Guayacanes area because you can spend time on typical beaches where the locals go. The hotel is located on Playa Caribe which has lots of local action. There are many waves which make it good for boogey boarding.
The next beach outside of the hotel heading east is Playa Guayacanes, then Play Vicini, then Playa Juan Dolio. Playa Vicini was the nicest and there is also a nice inexpensive hotel Playa Esmeralda at the end of it.
You can take public transportation with the vans for 10 to 20 pesos, or with taxis. I was a bit disappointed that the taxis were asking for very large amounts of money so I would recommend asking around before paying.

I traveled to San Pedro de Macoris to see how they celebrate carneval. It turned out to be more of a street fair kind of celebration with very few costumes. The best carnevals are in La Vega,Santiago, Bonao, Monte Cristi,and Santo Domingo. There was lots of food & music. I did not get to see the famous cocolos. I was told that they performed early in the day at the central park.
I stayed at the Howard Johnson Hotel Macorix. It offered great service and a great view of the carneval being located right on the malecon. I was able to cool off in their pool during the very hot afternoon.

The next day I went to Hotel Reina Cumayasa located about 15 minutes before La Romana. The hotel was gorgeous as was it's location-right where the Rio Cumayasa meets the Carribean Sea. It was verrrry relaxing and was the perfect way to end my vacation.

I have posted Resort Reviews for the Howard Johnsons and Reina Cumayasa as well as added some new images to my Media Gallery site under Paul Gerace Photos. http://dr1.com/media/cgi-bin/media.cgi?direct=Gerace

ddawger

Aug 24, 2004
Hi Paul, I love your pictures, I bet you could write a pretty interesting book about all your experiences in the Dominican Republic over the years. Thanks for continuing to share your photos

Justintime

Aug 18, 2004
Paul's Photos

I just viewed Paul's latest photos. Striking as always. Great job Paul, thanks!

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Paul, you piss me off!

You are doing what I wish I were doing. Photography is my hobby and would like nothing better than traveling the DR taking pictures. You have some really great shots. I like the way you use the light and colorful subjects in your pictures. I saw a couple that I would sure like to get a print of. Do you sell prints or posters??

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Hi Atlanta Bob.
I'm happy to "piss you off" if that stirs the photographer in you. Thanks for complimenting my photography. Yes, my images are available for sale. Just send me an e.mail.
I wish I could spend more time in the DR taking photos.

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Hi DDawger.
Thanks for letting me know that you are enjoying my photos. Yes, I am sure that my DR stories would match my photography in interest. Any publishers out there?????

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Great pictures. But you already know that.
Mao and Monte Cristi are really special places for me. So I alsawys enjoy seeing pictures of them. I especially liked the picture of the goats in front of El Reloj. We used to always joke that the only thing in MC was chivos y sal. You definately caputed Monte Cristis true essence there.
Kudos.
By the way. I think this site should sponser a photo contest. I can never get enough looking at photos of my favorite places.I want to see more than whats in the media gallery. I want to see photos that really show what the towns and people are like.

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Hi Stewart. Thanks for the compliment. I now have a close friend who lives in Mao and I will be returning very soon. Can you recommend any interesting areas close by to photograph? My friend said there are a few rivers around the area. Do you know about another hotel opening up there besides Agua Azul? Thanks.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
PGerace said:
Hi Stewart. Thanks for the compliment. I now have a close friend who lives in Mao and I will be returning very soon. Can you recommend any interesting areas close by to photograph? My friend said there are a few rivers around the area. Do you know about another hotel opening up there besides Agua Azul? Thanks.

I'll ask around about the hotels.
As fort the rivers: If you head south out of town on Ave. Duarte, the pavement ends and the country side starts. The river just winds its way through there. THere are many trails that will take you out there. I found some great places by just picking the road less travelled.
Great part of the country out there.
I look forward to your pictures.

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Gosh, those are really beautiful pictures. You have a terrific eye. There is one picture with a guy in it and it says "Hostal San Fernando, Monte Cristi". Do you have any information about this hotel? A website or email address for the owner? Any comments about it? It's very hard to find good information about hotels in the Monte Cristi area, and I have never heard of this Hostal San Fernando yet. Thanks!

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Hi Mb2. Thanks for taking the time to comment on my photos. Hostal San Fernando is located at the entrance to El Morro. I don't have the phone # or email. Post the question in the travel message board. There are several people here on DR1 that are very familiar with the Monte Cristi area.
Paul

tinab

Sep 22, 2004
Outstanding!!!

OHHH MYYY GOSH!!! those photos are breath-taking. You have truly captured the essence of my Dominican people and the beauty of the land. The pics of Mao brought tears to my eyes. My mother was born there and now is buried there in the cemetery in the center of the pueblo. Thank you.

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Mao Photos

tinab said:
OHHH MYYY GOSH!!! those photos are breath-taking. You have truly captured the essence of my Dominican people and the beauty of the land. The pics of Mao brought tears to my eyes. My mother was born there and now is buried there in the cemetery in the center of the pueblo. Thank you.

Hi Tinab. Thanks so much for letting me know that you enjoyed my photos. I will be returning to Mao in June. The people there were very friendly and I hope to explore some of the rivers in the area.
Paul

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
The shoe shine boy!!!

I remember the one all the way to the left when I was in Santiago November 2004, he wanted to shine my white sneakers I just gave him 200RD whats funny about him he tired to say some words in english to me and I told him No entiendo ingles and I started speaking spanish to him and he was surprised because I did not look like I spoke spanish but I get that all time because Im Panamanian.

Small World

Apr 10, 2005
The photos are stunningly beautiful. I went to DR earlier this year but to my shame only stayed in the AI resort. I have decided to go back & travel around the country a little, your pictures have given me some ideas of where I'd like to visit!

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Small World said:
The photos are stunningly beautiful. I went to DR earlier this year but to my shame only stayed in the AI resort. I have decided to go back & travel around the country a little, your pictures have given me some ideas of where I'd like to visit!

Thanks much!