builders question

Limburger

Jan 13, 2004
Sabrina, I recall seeing a commercial of this company a couple of weeks ago. The thought that struck me was 'who would want to build something like that in DR?' The only metal/zinc structures that I've seen in DR are big industrial buildings with security aroud the clock. You can enter these buildings with the sole use of a can-opener. Maybe you should try to purchase a couple of used reefers/containers and weld them into the desired form. I've seen houses build from 40' containers wich you wouldn't believe if you saw them from a small distance.
I wouldn't waste my money on a tin structure that will blow with the first hurricane.

Greetings, Limburger

P.S. more so than all the above, they are very ugly i.m.o.

mislarimar

Nov 19, 2004
www.adventuretour.net
We were thinking of them as a possibility of storage for spare car parts but we hate the way these things look too lol!
Just getting some information so i can make a decicion later based on a few ideas!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Go the Container route------

Weld them buggers together, cut out the center walls (reinforcing, of course) and use the commercial spray-on insulating material inside to keep the temperature down. After that you can cut your doors and windows. Makes a good secure shed for storage and/or living. Better than some of the structures I've seen people living in down here.

Texas Bill

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You should probably talk to

Acero Estrella here in Santiago.(809 247 3434)They do all sorts of steel structures, and are very good at what they do. Manuel Estrella is an A-1 engineer and fulfills his contracts to the letter.
He is the one that built the Nacional Supermarket here in Santiago, for example.

Now, as for welding a couple of containers together, that is just as good an idea. Instead of getting involved with spraying a bunch of foam on the roof, just put up a light, steel structure that will hold alu-zinc roofing and put about 2 feet of space above the containers. We have done this with a container we use for tobacco storage, and it works. At least it keeps the sun off and the temp is "livable" but not cool, but, heck it never is inside a container!

Cordially,

HB :D:D

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I remember seeing the commercial on TV too when I was in the DR past January... althou it was not the same company. Just like one poster here, I thought this could be an idea.
You don't need much building skills to asseble these things. They are sold to farmers and to people who own large recreational vehicles and such... they come with a book, some with a video. Inslation can also be found... they are being installed in Florida and you can see them in Texas too... so...
It's more of an organisational task. You buy land, organise your subdivision, plan streets, water and sewer and electricity (!) , parking spaces, fences and entries, waste management, form an owner association to manage coowned parts and so forth . For the units you layout the electric supply, water and sewer, pour a slab, lay your rails and pull up your arches and build a solid store front. Done. Now you just have to sell or lease them hangars.
The problem thou is, that I see to many store and industry space emty.. one reason is that the country has a hard time to attract and keep industry because of it's weak energy supply. Industry can not function off $1/KWh home brewn electircity and make money. industry that doesn't make money consitently, dies or moves out.

... J-D.