Need help to learn spanish

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoGirl

Jan 30, 2005
Hello everyone!

Many of you know I will be moving to Santo Domingo in a couple of weeks. I was just curious about something. I REALLY need to learn spanish and fast. What do you think is the best way to do that? On the street or taking classes? If classes are good can you direct me to any good ones? Thanks for your help!

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
The way to learn spanish really fast is to get a Girlfriend/boyfriend that does not speak english at all. This only applies for coloquial spanish not formal spanish, and the way that the DR population speak hurt my ears sometimes.

Good luck!

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
Learn 5 verbs a day and practice using them. Then at night, watch a soap opera in Spanish and put the caption on. Read as you go along and try using the new words you learn as well. Oh yeah, go to class as well.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Wag said:
The way to learn spanish really fast is to get a Girlfriend/boyfriend that does not speak english at all.

Yes this works ;) !!! Seriously though, spend as much time surrounded by people who do not speak English, which therefore forces you to speak what Spanish you do know and you will suprisingly increase your vocabulary very quickly. Dominicans are the most patient people I have ever met and will never make fun of someone's attempt to learn their language. Taking formal Spanish classes at the same time would help you learn the proper grammar and structure of the language.

P.S. When I was first learning Spanish I put post it notes all over my office with things like the days of the week, numbers, months, etc. - things that were easy to learn by quick glance! I also found the best way to remember a word was to try and use it as many times as possible in sentences after learning it and then it really sinks in.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
My advice...

I would like to offer you some humble advice. First of all I am proud that you want to learn Spanish. Needless to say it is the best language to learn for international and social purposes. It is widely spoken and highly useful. However, depending on how much Spanish you want to learn or the level that you would like to reach there is no such thing as learning any language "fast". If you adopt the "fast" mentality from the beginning you will become frustrated in a short period of time. Language learning at any age is a series of phases and if you learn as an adult it's going to definitely be more difficult and frustrating if you believe you can go from words to phrases to fluency overnight. As an educator in the Spanish language I will give you some tips on what to expect or if you do take classes what good lessons should consist of:

1) Phonetic instruction. First and foremost you must learn the alphabet. The alphabet is the key to proper pronunciation and spelling. Spanish is the most phonetic language that I have ever encountered therefore if you master the sounds of the alphabet, spelling, pronunciation and syllables (stress) should not be difficult.

2) Verbs- The conjugation of verbs in all thirteen tenses (that are of current usage in today's spoken language) is of vital importance. If you can not conjugate verbs you will not be able to express yourself clearly. By definition a verb is an "action word". You need to be able to express yourself in the present, future, past tenses etc.

3) Vocabulary- There are two ways to acquire vocabulary: a) by studying words thematically. b) by reading anything in Spanish at your current level. This includes books, magazines and the newspaper. Once you study a group of words try to use it in your everyday speech which will help you to retain the words faster. Once you are comfortable with one thematic set of words choose another set. For example what I mean by thematic vocabulary is the grouping of words into themes. "the house" (all words related under this category), "school" (all words related under this category), "the city" (all words related under this category) etc.

4) Syntax- forming grammatically correct sentences based on your current level of grammar. You should slowly advance from basic to more complex sentences. There is no end to this phase really. Eventually this process will lead to fluency.

5) Pragmatics- the absolute last unofficial phase that will take years. I throw everything not grammar related into this category because there are no stead fast rules. It includes concepts such as idiomatic expressions, colloquial speech (Dominican Spanish will be a challenge for sure), appropriate tonal register when speaking, informal and formal address, proper use of vocabulary (a word could have several meanings thus knowing when to choose one over the other) etc. The advantage you have is you will be living in Spanish speaking country therefore you will hear "pragmatic concepts" daily.

I would love to expand more but I think it would best if you send me a PM. Please feel free to do so if you want some more tips/ guidance etc. Good luck!

Regards,

-Lesley D-

Last edited:

aerobaticman

Nov 10, 2004

Hi,

I'm also learning spanish at the moment. I take classes in SD when I'm there.

When at home I follow the sylabus at

http://www.studyspanish.com

It has a really good program (as mentioned in this chat), verbal drills, grammar, etc. Many of the units you can do for free online. And if you buy the package (15 CD's and extra exercises online) for like $140 something. Works great to listern and repeat when stuck in the car in traffic or simply driving about.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Lesley D said:
Needless to say it is the best language to learn for international and social purposes. It is widely spoken and highly useful.

Well, maybe you were joking when you wrote those words quoted above!?

However, I just can't resist commenting...

Please tell me how many countries in Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia where Spanish is "widely spoken and highly useful"?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Voyager,

No, I was not joking. Spanish is the official language of at least 20 countries and it is a useful language of business other than English in my opinion. If you disagree that's quite alright.

-Lesley D-

Voyager said:
Well, maybe you were joking when you wrote those words quoted above!?

However, I just can't resist commenting...

Please tell me how many countries in Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia where Spanish is "widely spoken and highly useful"?

aerobaticman

Nov 10, 2004
Be surprised

Yoyager,

I can't speak for all the countries, but I live here in Switzerland. I've used my limited Spanish in Switzerland, Germany, and Sweden when my fluent English/German fails me. It surprised the heck out of me that so many people speak and understand it here.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I wanna speak Spanish, TOO!

kellyvalles said:
Hello everyone!

Many of you know I will be moving to Santo Domingo in a couple of weeks. I was just curious about something. I REALLY need to learn spanish and fast. What do you think is the best way to do that? On the street or taking classes? If classes are good can you direct me to any good ones? Thanks for your help!
Unfortunately, I don't other than to try the CD's, tapes and other things surrounded by Spanish-speaking people all the time. I always tend to fall back on the English and my Dominican friends love to speak English. Bummer.

BTW, someone told me about an "immersion school" in Sto Domingo (also maybe one in POP). Apparently is a 6 week schedule resulting in you becoming proficient in Spanish (informal). Anyone else here about this?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Aerobaticman,

Thank you for adding your comment I agree with you regarding Europe. I have yet to go to Spain but I have spoken Spanish in Germany and Switzerland out of necessity. Needless to mention other places where Spanish is spoken.

-Lesley D-

aerobaticman said:
Yoyager,

I can't speak for all the countries, but I live here in Switzerland. I've used my limited Spanish in Switzerland, Germany, and Sweden when my fluent English/German fails me. It surprised the heck out of me that so many people speak and understand it here.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Lesley D said:
Voyager,

No, I was not joking. Spanish is the official language of at least 20 countries and it is a useful language of business other than English in my opinion. If you disagree that's quite alright.

-Lesley D-

20 countries? I wonder how many of those countries are in South America?

Naturally you can find the odd person in Europe who speak Spanish, just like I have come across people in Greece, Spain, Turkey and even Chile who speak Swedish! (=my native language)

I just thought you overdid it a bit when you wrote that Spanish is "...the best language to learn for international and social purposes. " The best langugae still is English, at least in my opinion.

But when I go to my next business meeting in Jeddah, I will try some Spanish to test your theory... (I am just kidding!)

Anyway, you grant me the right to my opinion and I end by quoting Voltaire: "Sir, I do not agree with you, but I would give my life for your right to express your opinion!"

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Twenty and more

Voyager,

I am not sure what your intent is here but I refuse to list all the official speaking countries in the world but I will give you a hint they are not only in South America. Have you forgotten Central America? (Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama and Costa Rica), add those to the South American countries, Mexico and Spain. These are all official Spanish speaking countries.

-Lesley D-

PD. And no I did not over do it. I consider this general knowledge. Just to ensure that this part of discussion is over there are: 9 Spanish speaking countries in South America, 6 in Central America, 3 in the Caribbean, Mexico and Spain (twenty in total). The few others I will leave up to you to research if you are curious.

Voyager said:

Naturally you can find the odd person in Europe who speak Spanish, just like I have come across people in Greece, Spain, Turkey and even Chile who speak Swedish! (=my native language)

I just thought you overdid it a bit when you wrote that Spanish is "...the best language to learn for international and social purposes. " The best langugae still is English, at least in my opinion.

But when I go to my next business meeting in Jeddah, I will try some Spanish to test your theory... (I am just kidding!)

Anyway, you grant me the right to my opinion and I end by quoting Voltaire: "Sir, I do not agree with you, but I would give my life for your right to express your opinion!"

Last edited:

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Memorize the primary twenty verbs in present tense. Learn several hundred words ( many of which are the same as english except with an accent. Speak like a child. Most people will help you. And yes. Spanish is amazingly phonetic. As it is written so is it spoken. Don't be concerned with past present future. Your ear will improve and you will suddenly " see " the correct structure. And study formal language, too. Or join the C.I.A. They will teach you in under 6 weeks.
John

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Voltaire my A$$!

Voyager said:

Lesley D said:
Voyager,

I am not sure what your intent is here but I refuse to list all the official speaking countries in the world but I will give you a hint they are not only in South America. Have you forgotten Central America? (Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama and Costa Rica), add those to the South American countries, Mexico and Spain. These are all official Spanish speaking countries.

-Lesley D-

PD. And no I did not over do it. I consider this general knowledge. Just to ensure that this part of discussion is over there are: 9 Spanish speaking countries in South America, 6 in Central America, 3 in the Caribbean, Mexico and Spain (twenty in total). The few others I will leave up to you to research if you are curious.

You're both beginning to make me miss el gringo 762.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Can you list the 20 verbs here or send me a PM? I would be interested and I think your approach is helpful. Others may want to know as well. I have a Dominican wife, but (un)fortunately she speaks very good English.

Thanks,

-Tim

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
twincactus said:
I have a Dominican wife, but (un)fortunately she speaks very good English.
My husband's complaint exactly. We've never spent more than 5 minutes speaking Spanish, after which I lose my patience and resort to English. English is not his mother's tongue either, but his is better than mine, if anything.

I suggest that, like my husband, you get yourself a tutor, and read a lot. If you already speak more than one language learning another one will be easier.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"What Leslie Said!"(I can't believe she catches "flak" for the best answer in the Thr

I might add,"Total Imersion"! Including, "Right Brain/Left Brain"! Speak it,read it,write it,listen to it(Especially "Good" Spanish,like CNN en Espanol.Listen to Music.Probably the best "Tool" to help you is to "Speak" even though you are nervous/scared/embarassed :nervous: :nervous: you will sound "Stupid"! There is no room for your ego, when learning to communicate in a 2nd.language!

Status
Not open for further replies.