travel to haiti from dr/ good hotels in juan dolio

S

Sue

Hey , has anyone seen daytrips from the DR to Haiti or over night trips? or do you need to book that before. Has anyone gone? would you recommend or is it too unsafe. any experiences either way? also, any recommendations on moderate priced hotels in the juan dolio region? we are going next month and want to go to haiti if possible but not much info on trips there from DR . Thanks!

S

sean

Re: travel to haiti from dr/ good hotels in juan d

The only organized trips that I know of are organized from the north coast hotels and independent operators in Cabarete. If you check with your hotel upon arrival, though, they may have a two-day tour that goes to Haiti. It's much easier from the north coast, though. From Puerto Plata, Sosua or Cabarete you can get to Cap Haitian, stay at a nice hotel on a beautiful, mostly abandoned Haitian beach and see the Citadelle, which is a magnificent historic site perched high on a mountain. Of course seeing Haitian life is the most interesting part. If you go as part of one of these organized trips, it's really not dangerous at all. Cap Haitian on your own is a bit intimidating, though, and Port-au-Prince has a lot of both crime and political violence.

As to the second part, the hotels in Juan Dolio aren't as good as those at Punta Cana/Bavaro, but Talanquera is a very nice resort. There are one or two other good ones as well.

T

Tom

Sean

What kind (Time rodas site setc) of a trip could we expect by 4x4 from Purto Plate to Cape Haiten.

How about saftey of vehicle at hotel in Haiti?

Thanks

Tom

S

Sue

thanks Sean , for the info...... was worried that if we didn't organize something ahead of time ,that we may not be able to go. sounds great seeing cap hatian as i hear it is prettier than port-au-prince...but i also heard more violence in cap hatian.... so interesting to hear that you do not agree... i am glad. Did you take any anti-malaria medication (chloroquine) before going? also, any feedback on any specific tours....has anyone done that voo doo evening tour ??

S

Sue

tom, I know that you are not allowed to take a rental car across a border into another country. so, unless you have a local connection, you won't be able to go from DR to Haiti in a rental. I hear you can take a bus to the border and get transportation from the border into Haiti, but since i haven't gone yet, i am not the best reference. May i suggest going to your local library and taking out the book "Lonely Planet Domincan republic and haiti". it is an excellent reference. We are going October 15th . When are you??? If you have any tips, please pass them along. Also, we are looking to stay in a CHEAP hotel in either santo domingo , juan dolio or La Ramona.. mainly to sleep and nothing else Looking for something with air and generator and clean and that's about it for two nights only while we check out santo domingo and surrounding area. Any ideas for less than $75 a night? Also, we are staying at Playa Grande (Carribean Village) the week before in puerto plata (where we will do our real relaxing). Any comments either way on this resort? Thanks! APPRECIATE THE FEEDBACK!

S

sean

I didn't take the chloroquine at any time when I went to Haiti, but that was probably a stupid move. Once when I was in Port-au-Prince, an American friend came down with malaria. So you should probably take the meds just in case. There's definitely not more violence in Cap Haitian than in Port-au-Prince, but downtown Cap Haitian has been known to experience muggings. The beach hotel where most organized tours from the DR go, though, is quite safe. Citadelle was fairly well organized the last time I went there, too. In addition to the surly mule owners who take you up, the government has guides that refuse all tips and give you good information on the site.

S

sean

Tom,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Haven't checked this board in a few days. That comment below about rental cars is correct -- you absolutely can't take rental cars across the border into Haiti. To get from Puerto Plata to Dajabon, where the crossing is, you won't need a four wheel drive, as its paved all the way. A relatively long trip, several hours but can't remember an exact time. You head south on the Carretera Puerto Plata to Hwy-1 at Navarette, then west all the way to Monte Cristi and south to Dajabon. Easy riding most of the way.

Once you cross into Ouanaminthe from Dajabon, you can do one of two things. There are some rather austere buses that head into Cap Haitian from Ouanaminthe, but many are uncomfortable, or you can hire a motorcycle driver to take you. Either way, it's a bit of an adventure, as the roads are quite bad and vehicles often break down.

If you decide to take the trip, have fun! I've always had a blast travelling around rural Haiti. The people in the countryside are quite nice and very interesting.