Upcoming honeymoon to The DR - questions/advice

gorotdi

Mar 12, 2005
Hello and thanks to all of you for this great forum. Even though I've just become a member, you've already been a terrific help.

I'm getting married this July, and we've decided to make The DR our honeymoon spot. We'll be in country for 11 days/10 nights. We're splitting it up with 6 (or 7) nights in Las Galeras (possibly Las Terrenas) and the remaining time in Sosua/Cabarete. We're fairly "outdoorsey" travelers and aren't big "spring break" type partiers, though we do like to have fun too. Snorkeling, hiking, SCUBA, relaxing and general exploration and local contact is definitely our preference over the insulation of an extended AI stay.

After reading the advice/recommendations of you guys, it sounds like we'll likely be staying at Club Bonito in Las Galeras, though we haven't quite ruled out Villa Serena yet... can anyone help tip the scales one way or another here? Also, any places in Las Terrenas comparable to these two? We've looked at Bahia Las Ballenas, but didn't find as much info as we'd like...

The big question I have is this: We of course must get from POP to Las Galeras, and I know there are numerous means of doing this. We don't want to spend the first night in POP, and we don't really want to rent a car since it will be idle for most of the time in Samana...

Is it easy and affordable to fly to Samana? I've had tons of trouble finding reliable info about Air Santo Domingo, and my emails to a charter operation (I forget the name right now) have gone unanswered. Anyone have experience they can share here?

Can you inexpensively rent jeeps in POP that are sufficient for Samana use? That would make the cost a bit more doable if so. I do really wanna rent a dirt bike/quad in Las Galeras though.

I welcome all advice, questions, comdemnations or tips from you folks. Sorry for the long-winded first post... thanks in advance for the help!

goro

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Congratulations!

gorotdi said:
Hello and thanks to all of you for this great forum. Even though I've just become a member, you've already been a terrific help.

I'm getting married this July, and we've decided to make The DR our honeymoon spot. We'll be in country for 11 days/10 nights. We're splitting it up with 6 (or 7) nights in Las Galeras (possibly Las Terrenas) and the remaining time in Sosua/Cabarete. We're fairly "outdoorsey" travelers and aren't big "spring break" type partiers, though we do like to have fun too. Snorkeling, hiking, SCUBA, relaxing and general exploration and local contact is definitely our preference over the insulation of an extended AI stay.

After reading the advice/recommendations of you guys, it sounds like we'll likely be staying at Club Bonito in Las Galeras, though we haven't quite ruled out Villa Serena yet... can anyone help tip the scales one way or another here? Also, any places in Las Terrenas comparable to these two? We've looked at Bahia Las Ballenas, but didn't find as much info as we'd like...

The big question I have is this: We of course must get from POP to Las Galeras, and I know there are numerous means of doing this. We don't want to spend the first night in POP, and we don't really want to rent a car since it will be idle for most of the time in Samana...

Is it easy and affordable to fly to Samana? I've had tons of trouble finding reliable info about Air Santo Domingo, and my emails to a charter operation (I forget the name right now) have gone unanswered. Anyone have experience they can share here?

Can you inexpensively rent jeeps in POP that are sufficient for Samana use? That would make the cost a bit more doable if so. I do really wanna rent a dirt bike/quad in Las Galeras though.

I welcome all advice, questions, comdemnations or tips from you folks. Sorry for the long-winded first post... thanks in advance for the help!

goro
First of all, congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and excellent selection of this little piece of paradise for your honeymoon. You will have an amazing time here, I?m sure!

Villa Serena-excellent location, romantic and close enough to get to whatever else you might want to do. Of course hanging in the pool sipping silly drinks with umbrellas in them is pretty nice as well <grin>.

As far as getting from POP to Samana, you?ll have to drive or take the bus. If you want to get there quickly, the Caribe Tours bus will haul you out there at lightspeed. If you want to see the countryside, though, you should take a taxi or rent a car.

My personal opinion is that using a taxi is infinitely easier than renting a car. No worries about gas, insurance, directions, breakdowns or drinking while you drive. Just sit back, relax and stop whenever and wherever you may want to.

Hope this helps and congrats again!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Maybe

You should fly into Santiago and take a taxi or a bus out to Saman?.

If you can get an early flight, you should be able to make either the 1:15 or the 2:30 bus to Saman?, and get a quick and friendly introduction to the country at the same time. :D:D:D I can help you with the details, it's not difficult.) Or a taxi for about (i'm guessing) $100.

Not kidding, this service is quick, safe and efficient.

If you insist on travelling later in the day and arriving at the latter part of the afternoon, I cant think of a more romantic place than Camp David Ranch, situated on the top of a mountain and overlooking the valley. Good food, nice staff and it is very quiet.

Think about it.

HB :D:D

Villa Serena: Been there and we loved it. My son sys that his daughter will get married there...It is unique in its beauty. And very classy.

gorotdi

Mar 12, 2005
We just can't seem to decide between staying in Las Galeras and Las Terrenas... !!!

We want quiet, barefoot caribbean, but we also want things to do. I've seen comments that some people have been bored in Las Galeras...

We're totally able to entertain ourselves, and we do want to "get away from it all". I know Las Terrenas has been growing, but is it still really tranquil and peaceful, or is Las Galeras the place to go for that?

Opinions, please...!

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
gorotdi said:
We just can't seem to decide between staying in Las Galeras and Las Terrenas... !!!

We want quiet, barefoot caribbean, but we also want things to do. I've seen comments that some people have been bored in Las Galeras...

We're totally able to entertain ourselves, and we do want to "get away from it all". I know Las Terrenas has been growing, but is it still really tranquil and peaceful, or is Las Galeras the place to go for that?

Opinions, please...!
The last time I was in Las Terrenas it was anything but tranquil. It reminded me a lot of Cabarete years ago. Lots of hustle and bustle in the streets.

The beach, tho, is to die for!

gorotdi

Mar 12, 2005
That goes along way. I think we're gonna stick to Las Galeras for the rest and relaxation. The beaches are pretty much equally gorgeous in each place, yes? I figure we'll get a jeep and go to Las Terrenas a couple times when we get the urge to shop/wander/eat/play...

Club Bonito offered us $106 for the deluxe luxury upgrade with Breakfast and Dinner, free champagne and a day trip to Playa Rincon. I know we won't use the dinner every night with the good cuisine I've heard about in Las Galeras, but it sure is nice to have it included! :) That doesn't sound too bad to me...

HB, unfortunately flying into Santiago isn't an option for us; we're already booked to POP. It sounds like a taxi is gonna be the order of the day, unless someone can recommend an affordable charter plane...

gorotdi

Mar 12, 2005
Do any of the hotels in Las Galeras have fresh water for showers, etc? Las Terrenas?