Just wondering...

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
For those who encounter Dominicans outside of the DR, do they refer to their country as the DR or as Santo Domingo?
I ask b/c where I live now in the caribbean, there are a lot of Dominicans. And whenever they're talking about the DR, they just say "Santo Domingo" as if that's the name of the island and they are not even from Santo Domingo. They may be from some other town.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
lsylla01 said:
For those who encounter Dominicans outside of the DR, do they refer to their country as the DR or as Santo Domingo?
I ask b/c where I live now in the caribbean, there are a lot of Dominicans. And whenever they're talking about the DR, they just say "Santo Domingo" as if that's the name of the island and they are not even from Santo Domingo. They may be from some other town.
Some of them just find it more difficult saying "The Dominican Republic" than simply Saying Santo Domingo.

It also attributes to the fact that the Dominican Republic was also called Santo Domingo once, and some people have just continued calling it Santo Domingo.

MauricioFab32

Jun 10, 2004
lsylla01 said:

You?ll find that those are the same people who call the US, or refer to the US as New York or ?Nueva York.? Just a lil ignorance thats all. And that since the capital is the most common place for a native that is what is usually mentioned.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
lsylla01 said:
Many people around the world refer to the Dominican Republic by its colonial name (which happens to be the name of the Capital city as well).

Most Spanish speaking people's when referring to the Dominican Republic they tend to say Santo Domingo, even Spaniards and Italians do this. The French also do it, but they say it in their native language. In other words, instead of the French referring to the DR as Santo Domingo, they say St. Domingue. Means the samething and it's referred to the DR, despite Haiti being the former colony named St. Domingue. The French refer to Haiti as Haiti.

For the most part, non-Spanish/Portuguese/Italian/French speakers refer to the DR by its official name. All other peoples only do so in rare or very formal occasions, other than that its Santo Domingo all the way.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Nal0whs said:
Many people around the world refer to the Dominican Republic by its colonial name (which happens to be the name of the Capital city as well).

Most Spanish speaking people's when referring to the Dominican Republic they tend to say Santo Domingo, even Spaniards and Italians do this. The French also do it, but they say it in their native language. In other words, instead of the French referring to the DR as Santo Domingo, they say St. Domingue. Means the samething and it's referred to the DR, despite Haiti being the former colony named St. Domingue. The French refer to Haiti as Haiti.

For the most part, non-Spanish/Portuguese/Italian/French speakers refer to the DR by its official name. All other peoples only do so in rare or very formal occasions, other than that its Santo Domingo all the way.
I've heard this explanation advanced by Dominicans before. My only problem with it is that I have been traveling in Latin America since 1979, and I have yet to hear someone in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Peru or Uruguay refer to the country as anything other than "La Republica Dominicana," and reserve "Santo Domingo" to discussions about the capital. I have heard some, but not all (or even most) Mexicans, Salvadoreans, Venezuelans and Ticos refer to the country as "Santo Domingo," but that's about it.

Regards,
Keith

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
I was unaware that the DR was onced referred to as "Santo Domingo". I didn't know whether it was laziness or ignorance when I heard Dominicans refer to it as that.
I'm not even sure what to call it here. Where I live in the caribbean now, people always ask me, "When are you going back to NY" or "What part of NY are you from". I'm not even from NY.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Every Dominican refers to their country as Sant Domingo. I have never once heard one call it La Republica Dominicana.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oh sureee!

stewart said:
Every Dominican refers to their country as Sant Domingo. I have never once heard one call it La Republica Dominicana.
I must be from Mars since I call the DR by it's name: "La Republica Dominicana". And SD by it's name: "Santo Domingo"!!.

I guess that I was not around when you counted "every dominican", hehe.

I do agree that MANY, not ALL, do call the DR, SD!.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Perhaps an excerpt of article 5* and article 6 of the constitution could shed some light on the matter

Art?culo 5.- El territorio de la Rep?blica Dominicana es y ser? inalienable. Est? integrado por la parte oriental de la isla de Santo Domingo y sus islas adyacentes.....

Art?culo 6.- La ciudad de Santo Domingo de Guzm?n es la capital de la Rep?blica y el asiento del gobierno nacional.

Note that the island was referred to as Santo Domingo in article 5 and the capital was referred to as Santo Domingo de Guzm?n in article 6, therefore, it should be acceptible to address La Republica as a whole by Santo Domingo.

*Dominican constitution

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
I agree with "NotLurking" that "...it should be acceptable to call the DR Santo Domingo...". However, I've been told by Dominicans I know that it's easier to say SD instead of DR.
So, my other question is, what happens when the Dominican says they are from Santo Domingon but are actually from Hato Mayor for example. Then the person that they're talking to refers to something that is actually in the city of Santo Domingo. Then the Dominican has the slightest idea b/c they're from Hato Mayor and not SD. Therefore, they had to spend more energy and time clarifying that they're from another part rather than SD.
So, they should be able to say they're from SD, but I prefer the DR if you're not actually from SD.

**My Disclaimer**
How I feel should not matter to any Dominicans, so please don't bash me. If they want to say they're from SD, it's up to them. But I am not going to say I am from NY when I'm not. I don't care if I live a stones throw away from NY.

I've even heard other caribbeans refer to them as "Santo Domingoans" Any comments about that? I'd love to hear them...

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
lsylla01 said:
I've even heard other caribbeans refer to them as "Santo Domingoans" Any comments about that? I'd love to hear them...

I think if I ever hear that term I would Flip!

When I'm writing I usually write DR, but when speaking about it, I say Santo Domingo. I dont live in the capital, but it is easier to say SD than the whole name.

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
I guess I'm not really against it per se. But when you have people refer to them as "Santo Domingoans", they deserved to be slapped. Not only have I heard it from one's mouth, but have read it in a newspaper article. Now that's ridiculous!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Several countries have the same name as their capital (or should it be vice versa?).

e.g. Guatemala, Panama, Mexico.

In Guatemala they say 'Guate' to specify the city (IIRC). Nobody bothers with the mouthful than is 'La Ciudad de Guatemala'. Not sure what the Panamanians do. In Mexico the capital is known as 'DF' (Distrito Federal) which is similar to the way people from the US differentiate between Washington State and DC.

So, in the DR, people can call the country by (one of) its historic name(s) 'Santo Domingo' and when they want to specify that they are talking about the capital as opposed to the whole country, they say 'La Capital'. It is confusing at first, but one gets used to it. It makes sense in a way, and SD is much easier on the tongue than La Republica Dominicana.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
lsylla01 said:
So Chirimoya, what do you think of "Santo Domingoans"?
... on a par with saying 'the Dominican' or calling me a 'Gibraltan', if not worse. ;)