Guayacanes / Juan Dolio area

GalenaCole

Mar 13, 2005
Hello everyone!

I am planning my first trip to the DR (Hotel Playa Esmeralda in Guayacanes) and I would really appreciate any tips. In exchange, I will post (useful) reviews and comments following my late-April vacation.

I am especially looking for tips on:

--Beaches on the south coast (which are great? which are not?)

--Day trips (What should I see in SD? Isla Saona? Other parks/excursions?)

--Transportation (Gua-guas? Publicos? Taxis?)

--Food (Good local restaurants?)

--Guayacanes/Playa Esmeralda (So little info online...)

--Any other advice on making the most of my six-night trip?

Thanks so much!

P.S. I am a 23-year-old American traveling with my boyfriend. We speak a little Spanish but not great. Many of my 7th grade students in NYC are Domincan and I would like to learn about their country and culture.

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Hi. You should check out my recent post in the Trip Report section. I was just there 2 weeks ago. I provided a link to my photos from there. You will also find images from the Bayahibe and Isla Saona areas.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38696
I can also tell you that further east you should check out the beaches of Bayahibe, especially in front of the hotel Club Dominicus and Dominicus Palace. There is a public entrance right there as well. One of the nicest beaches in all of the DR. Soft white sand and tranquil blue/green water. I believe it's about 45 minutes east of Guayacanes.
From Bayahibe you can take a boat to Isla Saona which is gorgeous.
Feel free to e.mail me if you have any other questions.
Paul

GalenaCole

Mar 13, 2005
Thanks

Thanks so much, Paul. I have been enjoying your pictures ever since I started researching the DR. :) Gorgeous! I will definitely try to explore the Bayahibe area.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
walk directly in front of the hotel to Playa Vicini......

probably the best beach in the area. Head down the beach in the direction of Santo Domingo and you'll hit the local beach in Guayacanes, also an excellant beach. Go on a Sunday to experience the true "local" flavour of the island.
Head down the beach road in the direction of San Pedro and you'll come to the public beach in Juan Dolio....a little quieter with some excellant restaurants nearby as well as Il Cappucino coffee shop where you can buy cold cerveza, hot espresso or cappucino and sandwiches/hamburger/fruit plates.
By all means take a trip to Catalina Island and the Colonial Zone in SD. (do a search on the board for more info on these). The jeep safari trips are fun and Isla Saona is definitely worth while.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Public transport is very easy!

Stand on the side of the highway nearest the beach and you're heading to San Pedro or La Romana or Punta Cana, Higuey etc.
Stand on the other side and you're heading to Boca Chica, Santo Domingo etc.
Buses run about every 15 min. Sorry I don't have prices but their not expensive. When the bus stops just tell the conductor where you want to go!