Indian food in Santo Domingo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This post is especially dedicated to Brits with withdrawal symptoms, but directed to all lovers of Indian food. Coco's Restaurant in Santo Domingo is holding two Indian food evenings this month. One is this Tuesday, 15th, and the second is on Thursday 31st March.

For more information - prices, menu and reservations - call Colin on 687 9624.

Coco's is in the Zona Colonial, on Calle Padre Billini (casi esquina Isabel la Catolica).

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Great !

Just phoned Colin to book my dinner tomorrow night. Real convenient dinner opition before I head to the concert at Teatro Nacional.

Last time I had real Indian food was in London. Can't wait !

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Formosano

We haven't made a definite decision yet (babysitting issues) but I'm hoping to be there too.

Last time I had Indian food was last week, in Mexico City. :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Chirimoya said:
Last time I had Indian food was last week, in Mexico City. :)
I know the owners of that restaurant. I have spoken to one on the phone once. They are my uncle's friends.
AZB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is it the only one? It's actually a Pakistani restaurant in the Polanco district, but the name escapes me. Maharaja? Taj Mahal? :laugh:

Whatever is was called it was very nice. It had the dreaded Chicken Tikka Masala on the menu but it would still probably pass the AZB test. ;)

edited to add - it's called El Tandoor. The wonders of Google.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Chirimoya said:
Is it the only one? It's actually a Pakistani restaurant in the Polanco district, but the name escapes me. Maharaja? Taj Mahal? :laugh:

Whatever is was called it was very nice. It had the dreaded Chicken Tikka Masala on the menu but it would still probably pass the AZB test. ;)

edited to add - it's called El Tandoor. The wonders of Google.
yes the owners are pakistanis (father and son setup). From the voice of the man, he sounded like a young fellow. I have heard they are doing good there and becoming quite popular. I will visit them on my next trip to mexico city. After visiting pakistan (peshawar only), I must admit the best pakistani / indian restaurants are found in NY and perhaps, london.
AZB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
AZB, I'm sure you'll put in a good word for the DR and its delights, and maybe they'll consider opening a branch here.

;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Chirimoya said:
AZB, I'm sure you'll put in a good word for the DR and its delights, and maybe they'll consider opening a branch here.

;)
A mexican who was selling dominican version of mexican tacos in santiago once told me "you can't sell real mexican food outside mexico". This also hold true in domincian republica when we talk about real indian food.
In usa and england, people have become accustumed in eating hot foods. 25 years ago americans only ate mashed potatoes and meat loafs in restaurants. No one knew anything about spices and hot ingredients in most cities. Now many americans can put many mexicans and pakistanis to shame when it comes to eating hot peppers.
Now feeding dominicans hot food is a never ending up hill battle, at least thats what i thought initially. Now I am beginning to see that more and more domincians are trying dishes from different countries and trying and actually enjoying eating hot spicy foods. Just last night my dominican friend tried eating pizza with hot crushed red peppers sprinkled all over his slice. After eating one slice, he asked for more peppers.
So maybe having an indian restaurant in DR may not be a total loss idea. Lets hope some nutty indian or a pakistani will come up with this idea soon. Hell, if they shut me down in santiago, I may even venture into a small resturant business. you never know.
AZB

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Azb

Of course you will have to move to Santo Domingo. I know, I know, we don't have as many white beautiful, young, straight-haired ladies here, but maybe you can hook up with the one or two we have. It's a small sacrifice in the name of advancing culinary culture. :classic:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Well, last night's food was hot enough to make my (Dominican) husband's eyes water. By 'usual' standards it was mild/medium-hot.

It was great to meet Formosano, even though he had to rush off to his concert.

Next date for Coco's Indian evening - Thursday March 31st.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Reminder for this Thursday

Just a reminder that this Thursday, March 31st is the second Indian food evening at Coco's.

Contact them - details in the first post in this thread - for confirmation, information and bookings.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Indian food lovers can also partake Tues. March 29th in Juan Dolio!

Hotel Flor di Loto will be serving Indian food after 7 PM.
Also their "Fiesta India" will be held April 16th for an evening of Indian food and special entertainment.

Wish I could make it into SD for the dinner at COCO's but I have visitors that night!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
tonight's the night

Last reminder folks!

No plans to be there myself, this time, but it's highly recommended.

For more information - prices, menu and reservations - call Colin on 687 9624.

Coco's is in the Zona Colonial, on Calle Padre Billini (casi esquina Isabel la Catolica).