Welcoming gay Tourists in DR.

stofi

Mar 13, 2005
www.2Bexposed.com
Hi! I am a gay Dominican living in Europe.
For the last years i have been in most mayor cities in Europe and the states.
I am looking for someone that could help me in DR to start a new tourism campaign to introduce DR as a cosmopolitan city offering more than just an all inclusive resorts for cheap tourists to come. As a Dominican , i am offended and wonder who is in charge of public relations and tourism there. i was born in Santiago and raised in Santo Domingo and have a completely different view of DR than what tourists abroad have.
My traveling experiences abroad is that every city that welcome the gay tourism the economy had increase dramatically.
It is a shame that DR is not taking advantage of the biggest traveling group.
GAY Market as many other cities had.
I was last year in Ibiza and It is amazing how and an island as big as Samana has grown it's economy bigger than DR and Pto Rico together. Every summer the gay tourists bring millions. It seems that the only people benefiting in DR are the Resorts in Pto Plata etc.. where they offer to Germans all inclusive plans and do not even care about the local economy and the bad reputacion the are giving the Dominicans abroad. They are advertising cheap food and cheap sex. The quality of tourist that they are bringing to DR are the lowest class of people that save a few hundreds Euros and come to resorts and expect to be treated like kings. I want to start a campaign targetting ,models, artists,club goers,fashion and to show the world DR as a cosmopolitan city that could be better than South Beach,Ibiza,Key West or Mykonos. I will promise every type of business in DR will benefit from the gays choosing DR as their travel destination.
Please feel free to send me a message , i will apreciate any suggestion or any body that could help me regarding this matter. ;) stofi

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Oh Please!!!

I'm neither gay, or homophobic,,, but I?m tired if this in your face GAY crap!!! If people want to visit the DR, encourage them to visit, why does sexual orientation have to come into play??

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
stofi said:
introduce DR as a cosmopolitan city
The DR is not a city, it is a country.

stofi said:
It is a shame that DR is not taking advantage of the biggest traveling group. GAY Market as many other cities had.
Are you trying to tell us that there are more gay travelers than straight?
If so, I don't believe you.

stofi said:
I will promise every type of business in DR will benefit from the gays choosing DR as their travel destination.
That's quite a promise.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
CyaBye3015 said:
I'm neither gay, or homophobic,,, but I?m tired if this in your face GAY crap!!! If people want to visit the DR, encourage them to visit, why does sexual orientation have to come into play??
I think it's weird and inappropriate, as well.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Knowing the market segment you are targetting is just smart business - irrespective of what it is.

As a group gays tend to be unencumbersed with children, tend to be DINKS (Dual Income No KidS), tend to have higher than normal levels of disposible income and as previously mentioned tend to be generally good guests.

The concept of marketing to a gay market segment is not a new idea just see:

www.gaycuracao.com

Where there is money to be made it is only a matter of time.

Having said all that I am not sure that the DR is truly ready for a larger influx of openly gay tourists - too much of the infrastructure is directed at the family and couples demographic.

Mi dos pesos.

Gregg

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I doubt anyone will seriously consider your agenda. This is macho land. But, I am sure that gay people visit the DR all the time without any problems. I have seen obvious gay men here and no one seemed to be bothering them. I think your concern is inflated.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
JDJones said:
but, like it or not, the gay community is a much sought after group. Why? Because they tend to be more upscale, have money, and are not afraid to spend it if they are treated well. They are also much more respectful of their surroundings, and are very well behaved. All they really want is some privacy, and decent treatment.
It's not productive to nit pick Stofi's message, but rather, understand the point he is trying to get across.
If I had the money, I wouldn't reject the idea of opening a gay bed & breakfast. I could make a LOT more money off of them than I could from the run of the mill tourists you find in the AI's.
I am not nitpicking at Stofi's message.
You yourself suggest they want some privacy, yet this message is being posted on the world wide web.
Would you be as accepting for a group of people with another sexual preference, such as S & M, or those who are into water sports?
Some things should be kept private and behind closed doors.
Then there's another aspect, such as "money isn't everything".
I myself moved here for a lifestyle. Had I wanted to make money, I would have stayed in Canada.
Then there's Stofi's promise that all businesses will prosper. Well this would simply not be the case for me, as we have an established clientel, that is not based on sexual preference, and may even be detrimental to us if we started catering to the gay crowd.
Then there's my own personal morals and ethics that come into play.
I believe that nature is the most powerful force on Earth, and that one should try to flow with it, rather than fight it.
Even if it has become quite acceptable in North America, I can't help but to feel that 2 men don't fit together in a natural way.
If someone chooses this as a lifestyle, that is his business, so long as he is not harming anyone, but it need not be broadcast around the world.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
You hit a homer!!

JDJones said:
but, like it or not, the gay community is a much sought after group. Why? Because they tend to be more upscale, have money, and are not afraid to spend it if they are treated well. They are also much more respectful of their surroundings, and are very well behaved. All they really want is some privacy, and decent treatment.
It's not productive to nit pick Stofi's message, but rather, understand the point he is trying to get across.
If I had the money, I wouldn't reject the idea of opening a gay bed & breakfast. I could make a LOT more money off of them than I could from the run of the mill tourists you find in the AI's.
When I read his post, I thought EXACTAMENTE the way you did.

The thing with me is that if I, normanlly, would read a thread twice in order to see what the person is trying to do/say.

Yes, there are not enough places that cater to gays all over the globe. STILL, many countries, including the DR, are indiffeent or not well educated about gays. In some countries they are treated like if they had "the plague". I remember back in the 80 when being gay in the DR was not only considered a sin but, in some cases, YOUR WHOLE family would turn their backs on you. And in many cases, it's still happening now.

Indeed, gay tourism is something that is growing very fast but they (no disrespect) want to be treated fairly and with respect.

I can count with one finger how many gay friends I have but that does not mean that I don't know that SOME, while on vacation, are very nice, friendly, like to keep to themselves, quiet, aproachable, don't have these attitutes that they are "machos" and raise their voices in order to have their voices heard. And they are good tippers too. But just like with any other type of person, there are some that are attention seekers and are a pain in the axx, but show me any race or group of people that does not have a "black sheep in the family"?.

I am with you, JDJones, that is a market that I would not hesitate to invest in.

Let's stop being so closed-minded and read between the line the OP's intentions.

Besides, any business coming to the DR, that will bring more tourists and more money to the country, if more than fine with me!!!.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Rocky said:
I suppose the drug trade would be even more profitable than the gay trade.
Perhaps we could start there, then, as there are more heterosexuals on Earth, prostitution might make a good second, while we're at it, let's chop down the trees. Wood's in great demand these days, and that would be a great money maker.
Rocky, I am sorry, but it is highly offensive and tremendously disingenous of you to advance an argument based on comparison between drug trade and homosexuality. Really.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Pib said:
Rocky, I am sorry, but it is highly offensive and tremendously disingenous of you to advance an argument based on comparison between drug trade and homosexuality. Really.
I have no idea what disingenous means, nor can I find it in my dictionnary.
Why you find it offensive, I don't know.
I did not compare being gay with doing drugs.
I was pointing out to Miguel that inviting "any business" was not acceptable.
Some people consider stealing a business too.
This also is not acceptable.

That being said, my personal views on the matter are of no consequence, except to myself.
The point that I was making, along with Cyabye, is that we are not interested in hearing about people's sexual preferences, habits, details, etc.

MaryS

Feb 13, 2003
The point that I was making, along with Cyabye, is that we are not interested in hearing about people's sexual preferences, habits, details, etc.

Marc, you know I love you, but.... I find this statement totally disingenous also. You'd have to block half the posts on the boards if this wasn't true. ;)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
My impression of people who immediately announce or flaunt to a largely straight audience that they are gay is that they are seeking approval for something that deep down inside, they are very uncomfortable with.

If they recieve no redicule or backlash, they take it as a boost to their fragile egos and feel slightly better about themselves.

If they recieve any negative response, they lash out that you are a homophobe as a defense mechanism. Then they move onto the next audience.

Larry

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Heyyyyy!!

Rocky said:
I have no idea what disingenous means, nor can I find it in my dictionnary.
Why you find it offensive, I don't know.
I did not compare being gay with doing drugs.
I was pointing out to Miguel that inviting "any business" was not acceptable.
Some people consider stealing a business too.
This also is not acceptable.

That being said, my personal views on the matter are of no consequence, except to myself.
Your reply to me did not "make it" but I will answer you.

Who made me the "world ruler"?. Nobody. I can not just pick and choose what it's fair and what's wrong. Nor I am going to impose my beliefs on anybody. They are mine and I hope that people would respect them just as I try to respect theirs.

Guess what, the drug trade, in my opinion is sickening but I am not going to close my eyes and said that it does not happen in the DR. I show my dislike of it by not using drugs.

"Sex for sale" in the DR, do not agree with it but it happens.

Chopping down trees, I don't like it because I am a nature lover but that does not mean that some people do't do it for a profit.

I am only one person and there are many wrongs in life for me to try and fix them all.

I mean, we see colmados selling beer, cigarettes and liquor to youngters. It's not right but it happens. All I can do is not send younsters to do such things for me.

We see bars being fronts the "sex for sale". It's not right but it happens. All I can do is not visit those places.

The only way for me to say "this and that is not acceptable" is when I become the world ruler. And even then, what's not acceptable to me could be acceptable to someone else.

To compare homosexuality to "the drug trade", in my book, is comparing a Rolls Royce to a Yugo.

To gays, homosexuality is a way of life and the drug trade is a way of "damaging" life. And if given a choice, I would rather befriend a gay person and not a drug dealer any time of the day!.

Ps: if gays would bring more "greens" to the DR, if people from Mars would bring more "greens" to the DR, if dead people would bring more "greens" to the DR, in my opinion, the more "greens" the better as long as it's not illegal!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This thread is not about peoples homophobic issues or personal opinions on gay's or alternative lifestyles. Keep on topic and answer the posters question. Anymore will be deleted.

Personally I'm all for an increase in gay tourism, golfers and anybody that is going to put something back into the pockets of local businesses.

As has already been said in this thread, the dollar yield is considerably higher than most other segments. It just needs to be balanced and sustainable. The gay market can be very transient and can vanish over night.

The Colonial Zone in Santo Domingo is very vibrant right now and an increase in gay tourism is one of the reasons this is happening.
They bring money, that feeds upscale clubs, restaurants and ultimately a better destination for everybody, regardless of your sexual preferences.

Justintime

Aug 18, 2004
Disingenuous...

...is the correct spelling, and it means; "Lacking simplicity, frankness, or sincerity; not straightforward...". :glasses:

I, on the other hand, think that Rocky was being very frank and straightforward with his comments. I'm sure I understood his personal view point to be that some 'lifestyle' behaviours, to him, are personal moral/ethical choices. He also states, clearly, in post #11 that his personal views are of no consequence, except to himself.

The main point he made regarding the business nature of the thread was that not all businesses would benefit if they made the "gay market" their target market. That would certainly true at Rocky's for example. I would think the drinking and eating crowd would be the best target market there.

Thanks Rocky, for your straightforward sincerity. ;)

(My two cents worth)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Justintime said:
...is the correct spelling, and it means; "Lacking simplicity, frankness, or sincerity; not straightforward...". :glasses:

I, on the other hand, think that Rocky was being very frank and straightforward with his comments. I'm sure I understood his personal view point to be that some 'lifestyle' behaviours, to him, are personal moral/ethical choices. He also states, clearly, in post #11 that his personal views are of no consequence, except to himself.

The main point he made regarding the business nature of the thread was that not all businesses would benefit if they made the "gay market" their target market. That would certainly true at Rocky's for example. I would think the drinking and eating crowd would be the best target market there.

Thanks Rocky, for your straightforward sincerity. ;)

(My two cents worth)

I agree. I think his post was very straightforward, honest and not in the least bit offensive. Except to the PC police.

Larry

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
What is a gay Bed and Breakfast?

I am confused!

Does the DR have any straight hotels, straight restaurants, straight swiming pools,etc.........

Why should anyone be concerned about what two consenting adults do behind closed doors, if it's not being done illegaly?

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Frommer says

An excerpt from Frommers.com .......Hope its helps!

"...Gay life (often gay for pay) flourishes in old Santo Domingo at such clubs as Jay-Dee's, 10 Jos? Reyes (tel. 809/333-6905). Your host is Jerry, the owner, who hails from Philadelphia. Gay Dominicans and visitors mingle to enjoy wet T-shirt contests, drink specials, drag shows, and male strippers. Another hot club is Aire, 313 Mercedes (tel. 809/689-4163), also in the Colonial Zone. This is a cavernous club in a restored colonial mansion with an open-air courtyard. It's one of the best gay or gay-friendly clubs (some straights go here, too) in the Caribbean, and is best visited on Friday or Saturday nights..."

The thing that bothers most about your endeavor is that I don't personally see a typical gay community brewing as you've noted from other places. not to say either its not possible (there's always a first). however, as mentioned in the excerpt above, "gay for pay" pretty sums up the gayness of Santo Domingo, as I see it. Anything other than that is risky. If youre serious you might try visiting and pounding the pavement in person. I would never use a travel agent that can not personally recommend a place.

Just my two cents worth. Good luck.
TEHAMA