Closest airport to Samana

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Which would be the airport putting a tourist closest to Samana? Santiago or Puerto Plata. This is what I have, but I am not sure this is correct.

Santiago (STI) would be 2.5 hours -- taking the route to San Francisco de Macoris and then Nagua-Sanchez. Or am I being too optimistic.

Or would Puerto Plata International be closer. I have always thought it takes 3 hours from Puerto Plata to Samana taking the northern coastal route to Nagua and then to Sanchez.

In conclusion, my impression is that Santiago would be the best airport for someone arriving to Samana, not taking into consideration fares, etc.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
stan chapman said:
Whoever gave you those travel times is dreaming in technicolour.

Then, how long from Santiago to Samana? 3 hours?

Have done Puerto Plata to Samana and the 3 hours is about right.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just my 2?

Santiago will turn out to be closer for the following reasons.

It is easier to get in and out the airport. If you have a taxi waiting you are in Saman? before dawn if you come in on Jet Blue.

A taxi will cost about $100 for the 231 kilometer ride.

Buses from Santiago leave at four different hours (7-8-1:15 and 2:30), non-stop to Sanchez then on to Saman?.

Overnight in Santiago is easy and comfortable. and, most important, cheap.

A service for a large group of people (6 to 9) to Saman? will now cost RD$5500 for the trip to the town proper. Then RD$6500 to Las Galeras or Las Terrenas..-This is for that Jet Blue flight.

HB :D:D

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
But for a person who is driving, would it take less time to get to Samana when landing in Santiago or Puerto Plata?

I thought it would take less time to go Santiago-San Francisco-Nagua-Sanchez, but maybe it would be three hours like from Puerto Plata.

What do you think?