Best Bookstore in Santo Domingo

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Name: Librer?a Cuesta
Location: Sto.Domingo Ave. 27 de Febrero Esq. Abraham Lincoln

Reason Why?: Whenever I visit SD I spend most of my spare time browsing and buying books of all kinds. The store has a wide variety of books in all categories by both local and foreign authors i.e. novels, politics, history, self-help, pedagogical, language instruction etc. The bookstore is extremely diverse and I find the prices very reasonable (especially since most of the books are imports). The store itself is very spacious and has a sit down caf?. I have not seen any other bookstore comparable to Librer?a Cuesta in SD. I don't know what I would do without this bookstore.

Here is the link to their website:

www.libreriacuesta.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Lesley D said:
Name: Librer?a Cuesta
Location: Sto.Domingo Ave. 27 de Febrero Esq. Abraham Lincoln

Reason Why: Whenever I visit SD I spend most of my spare time browsing and buying books of all kinds. The store has a wide variety of books in all categories by both local and foreign authors i.e. novels, politics, history, self-help, pedagogical, language instruction etc. The bookstore is extremely diverse and I find the prices very reasonable (especially since most of the books are imports). The store itself is very spacious and has a sit down caf?. I have not seen any other bookstore comparable to Librer?a Cuesta in SD. I don't know what I would do without this bookstore.

Here is the link to their website:

www.libreriacuesta.com
I concur with you, but if second bests are permitted then I would like to add Thesaurus to the list. I also like their coffee.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Chiri,

Can you give some details about this book store please. I searched for a website online but I could not find anything under this name in SD. Are they comparable to: 1) Librer?a Cuesta and 2) Thesaurus

Thanks.

-Lesley D-

Chirimoya said:
New Horizons bookshop in Bella Vista Mall.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's much smaller than Cuesta and Thesaurus but has more books in English, and not bad for children's books. The English sections in Cuesta and Thesaurus are erratic at best. NH also has a coffee shop in the Bella Vista Mall branch. The other branch is part of New Horizons School, also on Ave. Sarasota.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Chirimoya said:
The other branch is part of New Horizons School, also on Ave. Sarasota.

Chirimoya,

Is that the one close to the Delta Hotel??? If yes, than it is pretty good for English books. And when I was there, they offered to order books for me, in case they didn't have it in stock. Nice and helpful staff!

/John

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
University bookshops???

Where do students in Santo Domingo buy their books?

Universities can have some very good bookshops! I remember when I was in Brighton, England, I went to the University just to visit the bookshop. It has a very good selection of classical literature.

Or maybe the Santo Domingo students go to Libreria Cuesta, Thesaurus and New Horizons?

Suppose a student of English is looking for poetry by Byron? Where can he/she buy such books?

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
Voyager said:
Where do students in Santo Domingo buy their books?

They go to those bookstores, those are the major ones, if they don't have it then you're out of luck and probably have to order it online.

I can tell you about INTEC because I study there, they don't have a bookstore. In the state university (UASD) there is what is called ECONOMATO DE LA UASD, you can find certain things at a better price but is far from being a real bookstore (not a wide selection and is mostly college's type books)

For english books the best is the New Horizons.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Johy said:
I can tell you about INTEC because I study there, they don't have a bookstore. In the state university (UASD) there is what is called ECONOMATO DE LA UASD, you can find certain things at a better price but is far from being a real bookstore (not a wide selection and is mostly college's type books).
Howdy fellow Intesiano!

Pib
'91 Grad

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Voyager said:
Chirimoya,

Is that the one close to the Delta Hotel??? If yes, than it is pretty good for English books. And when I was there, they offered to order books for me, in case they didn't have it in stock. Nice and helpful staff!

/John

Yes, that's the one.

Suppose a student of English is looking for poetry by Byron? Where can he/she buy such books?

www.amazon.com? ;)

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Here we go again...

Chirimoya said:

Okey, Chiri, so... please give me the adress to that BOOKSTORE (remember the name of this thread?), so that I can go there and browse, talk to the staff and maybe find that unexpected title. If you can do that, I will buy you dinner in Vesuvius! /John

-------------------
Robert:
Desculpa mio! I realize you do not invite debates in this new "Best of" forum, but I am getting tired of people referring to the possibility of importing from overseas when I discuss pros & cons of DR. When I asked someone about finding English books, on one of my recent visits, I was told that this was no problem at all. You just fly to Miami and buy them there! Duh!

Last edited:

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
compromise?

Voyager said:
Okey, Chiri, so... please give me the adress to that BOOKSTORE (remember the name of this thread?), so that I can go there and browse, talk to the staff and maybe find that unexpected title. If you can do that, I will buy you dinner in Vesuvius! /John

-------------------
Robert:
Desculpa mio! I realize you do not invite debates in this new "Best of" forum, but I am getting tired of people referring to the possibility of importing from overseas when I discuss pros & cons of DR. When I asked someone about finding English books, on one of my recent visits, I was told that this was no problem at all. You just fly to Miami and buy them there! Duh!

Amazon.com + EPS service = best DR option

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Voyager said:

Voyager, I was merely being facetious because of the hit and miss nature of looking for a specific title in any SD book shop.

Anyway, the New Horizons bookshop is on Av. Sarasota near the Hotel Delta, as guessed by you and confirmed by me earlier in the thread.

NEW HORIZONS BOOKSHOP
Avda. Sarasota, # 51
Bella Vista
SANTO DOMINGO
Tlf. 809 5334915 - Fax 809 5349172

www.gcnewhorizons.net/books2/

So I guess dinner is on you then? :classic:

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Chirimoya said:
So I guess dinner is on you then? :classic:

Hahaha, hey kid, are you being facetious again? You didn't quite deliver the info I asked for, now did you? The adress to the bookstore you call "amazon".

Tell you what, I can offer you a wooden bowl of that meatstew (whatever it is called? The stuff that is considered a National Dish in Chile, Colombia, DR...) they serve in Adrian Tropical!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Oh right, a cop-out.

Come to think, it wasn't that much of a challenge. It would be another matter, though, if you were to be able to find a Byron anthology in the bookshop. If you do, the Adrian Tropical 'sancocho' is on me. :laugh:

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
I like both Cuesta and Thesaurus. If looking for Dominican authors and themes, don't forget:

LIBRERIA LA TRINITARIA
Arzobispo Nouel 160, Esquina Jos? Reyes, Zona Colonial, Tel. 682-1032 / 686-6110
no website.

- Tordok

Beyond bookstores; for researchers of Dominican stuff, visit the libraries:
1. UNPHU
http://www.unphu.edu.do/Biblioteca.htm

2. INTEC
http://www.intec.edu.do/biblioteca/

3. Archivo General de la Naci?n (National Archives)
Calle Modesto E. Diaz No 2 Santo Domingo
Telephone: +1 (809) 8533 1608

4. Biblioteca Nacional (old DR newspapers, magazines, etc)
(National Library)
Ave. C?sar Nicol?s Penson 91 / Plaza de la Cultura
Santo Domingo
E-mail: biblioteca.nacional@dominicana.com
Homepage: http://www.dominicana.com/bibliotecanacional/

5.Small bookstore downstairs and the coolest bookworm spot in town, the small upstairs biblioteca of the Sociedad Dominicana de Bibliofilos (for members only).
Sociedad Dominicana de Bibli?filos, Inc.
Las Damas No. 106, Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo
Tel?fonos: (809) 687-6644/687-6655
Fax: (809) 221-5568
bibliofilos@codetel.net.do

ladydomi

Apr 21, 2005
Johy said:
They go to those bookstores, those are the major ones, if they don't have it then you're out of luck and probably have to order it online.

I can tell you about INTEC because I study there, they don't have a bookstore. In the state university (UASD) there is what is called ECONOMATO DE LA UASD, you can find certain things at a better price but is far from being a real bookstore (not a wide selection and is mostly college's type books)

For english books the best is the New Horizons.
IM THINKIN ABOUT GOING TO INTEC
HOW IS IT???? :glasses: