hotel recommendations in santo domingo

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
My dad and I will be arriving on a Monday next month (25 april). We get into SD at 3. We would like a nice hotel in the zona colonial. I have been to the ZC before and I think my dad would enjoy walking around and checking it out.

I just read about the botanical gardens, too, and we are interested in seeing them.

We plan on spending one night only in SD, then the next morning, before going to the next stop.

Any recommendations? Once I nail down a hotel, I'd like to pick a time/place that Monday night for drinks and DR1 gossip-hour.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Hotel Penalba is also good...

it is right in the heart of the colonial zone, has a nice restaurant downstairs and it is about the same in terms of cost as the Europa. It also may be a little cheaper(I believe not by much though), but you would have to check on that to see.
I like that the Europa has the breakfast included-I think I'll go there when I land in late April.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Hotel Conde de Penalba website

http://www.condepenalba.com/

Penalba also has a great location, right at the head of El Conde, the pedestrian shopping street. The outdoor tables at the restaurant are adjacent to Columbus Park (more of a square, really) and the Cathedral. There is a vibrant atmosphere and it's a fine place to people-watch. The hotel is also very convenient to the historic sites of the Colonial Zone.

If you are only there for one night, you might consider spending an extra 20 bucks or so and splurging on a junior suite. They are quite spacious, with nice wraparound balconies.

I have also heard good things about Hotel Palacio http://www.hotel-palacio.com/ which is also supposed to be loaded with colonial-era charm.

Hope this helps.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
MaineGirl said:
And how does one get to the botanical gardens?

It's in the Arroyo Hondo area, so quite a trek from the Zona Colonial. Maybe we'll have to include it in our programme when the aunties meet up.

Otherwise you can get there by taxi.

PS is your dad interested in visiting Mr C's dairy project?

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Chiri,
We are still interested. Is Tuesday a good day to see it? Maybe Tuesday afternoon? We are going to take a metro bus up to POP for the next leg of our trip...so I am thinking about the last bus and when it leaves. Let me know what is convenient.

Can the aunties do lunch on Tuesday?

I hate to cram a lot into a small time, and if it makes sense we can spend Tuesday night in SD as well. The hotels recommended are exactly what I was hoping for.

MG

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
If you are open to other places other than the Colonial Zone the Courtyard by Marriott is a real nice place on Maximo Gomez. I stay there when ever I go to S.D.. Before that stayed at some overpriced dumps in the Colonial Zone.

There was one real nice place in a renovated loft building in the Colonial Zone that Robert recommended that was pleasant but don't remember the name.

Scott

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Escott, since we will not be there too long, I want to be able to walk around from the hotel, and soak up the atmosphere while I am there. As for my dad, he has never been to the Caribbean, and I just want him to feel comfortable and have a nice time. Thanks for the recommendation.