Best Pork Sandwich - Street Vendor

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
Name: Street Vendor

Just up the street from Rocky's.

Reason:

100 RD for a loaded fried pork sandwich with onions on a toasted french loaf.
Excellent and quite a lot of meat.
No hygeine problems.
Absolutely mouth-watering late at night.
Alanindr sent me there.

Disclaimer:
Have sampled only 10-15 street vendors in the DR. But darn, I do know good food... and this was good. And, BTW, I have a "delicate" stomach.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Chimigordo
Malecon Puerto Plata

Or
El Haitiano at the Park on the main highway in Puerto Plata

or
The guy with the red cart - Santiago El Monumento

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I agree with Gregg. It is a fabulous sandwich (as I have eaten there myself many times late at night) and unbelievable for the price. Always very clean and it's so big you could easily split it between two people.

Willie

Sep 30, 2004
I have been a customer of Gordo on the Malecon in Puerto Plata since 1989.

Willie

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
lucky, yes

well, it was recommended and other expats were eating it. i have the distinction of getting "Delhi Belly" just about everywhere i travel to....hence the reference to my delicate stomach.

how i choose a street vendor:

busy with locals AND some middle-class types
expensive vehicles pulling up and getting piles of take out
meat kept separately and in a cooler
clean operators
watch for cross-contamination handling of foods
female staff...better organized and cleaner...IMHO
GET REAL LUCKY!!!

BTW, got real sick from a hotdog guy in Toronto. and they wear gloves, are inspected and some have hand washing equipment. but, let's face it, at 2 in the morning that big sausage may have been simmering since dinner time. always good for a surprise!

Last edited by a moderator:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
If you place an order and leave figuring the time it will take he will make your food and give it to the next Dominican. He did this to me once and I wouldnt go back. Screw him.

3.50 US dollars is no freakin bargain for this small sandwich btw. That is the cost today at 28.35 to one.

Scott

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hmmmm...it seems that if you left he probably thinks you won't return, thus he's not going to keep food made for you just in case you do. BTW, did you pay in advance?

3.50 USD for a sandwich...you guys who live in touristy areas overpay for almost everything. I get some of these whenever I go home to Cotui and I pay 40 or 50 pesos per. They are awsome at 4 in the morning after a good night of drinking...

Last edited by a moderator:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
If he asked me to I would have paid in advance. Scum bag after asking if it was ok the stankin treet vendor sandwich to the first dope that showed up. I think I may stick a fork in his tires one day. Let him carry that lame assed trailer home on his back.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
The best street vendor...

...is Cesar...right across the street from Jan's apt. in Zona Colonial...He makes the best 'Dominican hamburgers' I've ever tasted!!!

Loaded...(with God knows what!)...but they taste GREAT and I have never been sick from eating them...Plus, they are super cheap!!! $40 or $50 pesos each...

Jan and I then go to the 'colmado' to get a beer and a Pepsi...sit in the park and enjoy the people, the music and the food!!!

Right, Jan? ;)

MQ

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Musicqueen said:
...is Cesar...right across the street from Jan's apt. in Zona Colonial...He makes the best 'Dominican hamburgers' I've ever tasted!!!

Loaded...(with God knows what!)...but they taste GREAT and I have never been sick from eating them...Plus, they are super cheap!!! $40 or $50 pesos each...

Jan and I then go to the 'colmado' to get a beer and a Pepsi...sit in the park and enjoy the people, the music and the food!!!

Right, Jan? ;)

MQ

Please start a new thread. Threads should stick to one business only.

J

jaredhobbs

O'DO Pierna

No one's had O'DO Pierna? It's in Villa Mella Near the Burger King/Bomba Shell. Best pork sandwich from a street vendor I've had. Oh, and there's a bunch of pierna places in Luperon, near the 17 and Duarte intersection that are also excellent. Prices at both places range from 30 pesos to 100 pesos.

--
http://thehobbsfamily.googlepages.com

pcross

Oct 12, 2005
Sosua Pork Sandwich

Yup that is the best one Gregg . . . I have eaten three in one evening!

I look forward to getting it everytime I am in Sosua.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Gregg is right. I have been eating those 2 times per week for the last 4 months. After a great night at the latino club those sandwiches are one great way to end an evening.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
pork me..........

javier,200mtrs inside the entrance to maranatta/bellavista.
60rd a pop and LOADED with fresh meat,onion,salad,peppers and a choice of the reg dom hot sauce or his own home made XXX hot sauce.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
CHIMIGORDO JUST OFF THE MALECON IN POP!

sorry, had to capslocked it... LOL

JasonR

Nov 18, 2006

Right, Jan? ;)

MQ

Erm, are we all meant to know exactly where Jan's appt is? Otherwise there is no possible way to know where the hell this burger cart is.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
corner of luperon and duarte,in zona colonial...both pork and hamburgers...then a cold beer from Luis at the corner colmada,get a plastic chair and enjoy this beautiful city......
bob