Best Supermarket in Santo Domingo

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Even when I know there are a couple supermarkets where i can get a cheaper check, I stick to el Nacional, employees are very helpful, prices and policies are very clear (at least to me)... very good selection of imported stuff... they have my beloved Inca kola!!!!!!!!! now, it would be even better if they let me choose my own tomatoes! instead of getting them packed :ermm:

I have been to some supermarkets where the meat section/area/department (?) is really stinky!... not the Nacional at Bella Vista Mall... i have never been to the Arroyo Hondo's...

They have been lowering prices in most products, which is great for us almost extinct middle class people.

Best supermarket in santo domingo for sure! :cool:

Jess

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
andrea9k said:
Even when I know there are a couple supermarkets where i can get a cheaper check, I stick to el Nacional, employees are very helpful, prices and policies are very clear (at least to me)... very good selection of imported stuff... they have my beloved Inca kola!!!!!!!!! now, it would be even better if they let me choose my own tomatoes! instead of getting them packed :ermm:

I have been to some supermarkets where the meat section/area/department (?) is really stinky!... not the Nacional at Bella Vista Mall... i have never been to the Arroyo Hondo's...

They have been lowering prices in most products, which is great for us almost extinct middle class people.

Best supermarket in santo domingo for sure! :cool:

Jess
My cousin teaches Food Handling and Safety, plus she has 16 years experience in the food manufacturing sector. About 4 years ago she had her students survey the practices of all major supermarket here and Nacional came on top by far. These people really have their act together.

I definitely agree with the OP.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I fully concur - - Nacional

Pib said:
My cousin teaches Food Handling and Safety, plus she has 16 years experience in the food manufacturing sector. About 4 years ago she had her students survey the practices of all major supermarket here and Nacional came on top by far. These people really have their act together.

I definitely agree with the OP.

I think the best of all is the Bella Vista mall location. It has the best and most consistent variety of products, especially produce and wines and spirits. The Lincoln/27th February is comprable but I think the volume of customers prevents them having the same consistent inventory as the larger but far less crowded Bella Vista Mall location.

Pola, La Sirena's supermarket division, and the Bravo chain have similarly well stocked stores but the quality and variety of their merchandise is not generally up to Nacional's standards.

As a side note, the Nacional that used to be on Mella was likely one of the worst of that chain ever. It was converted into a Despensa a little more than a year ago, a case of giving the neighborhood people what they want.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
arturo said:
I think the best of all is the Bella Vista mall location. It has the best and most consistent variety of products, especially produce and wines and spirits. The Lincoln/27th February is comprable but I think the volume of customers prevents them having the same consistent inventory as the larger but far less crowded Bella Vista Mall location.
Yeah! No lines. I hate lines. Plus is 4 minutes from where we live.

My husband is the one that does the grocery shopping here, he likes Nacional Bella Vista. Of course in no small measure because they stock Danish butter. :classic:

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I also prefer nacional in bella vista. They used to carry johnsonville sausages and cornish game hens. Once in a while they would have vacuum packed frozen imported beef, but it never looked good enough to try.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Viva" Supermercados National!!!!!

I used to shop at "Lope De Vega",but then they built the big store near my house in Arroyo Hondo.It is like a "Shrine" to me! I am"Well Known" there,because I complain to much.But they actually respond to complaints!! Must be because they are "Spanish",and NOT Dominicans in charge!!

I go to "POLA" on Camino Chiquito when I know "National" will be packed,but only for "Dry Goods",not meat.If I see some "hamburger" at Pola,I poke my finger through the plastic wrap and give a "smell",most times the stink is so bad I throw it back.It it has "no smell",I'll buy it! I NEVER have to use the "Sniff" test at National.I go to the meat dept.,and ask for "Rabo de Res",(Ox Tail) for soup.Also "Juesos Rojos"(Red Bones).I get "Carpachio de Pollo"(Chichen Backs) there too.We have a lot of really good soups because of National!
I sometimes leave the lights on in my van,and the battery dies in the parking lot.The secutity guards bring out their mobile battery cart,and I'm on my way!Not to mention the "Cuesta",(ACE) hardware store in the same building at some of the stores!
The "BEST" thing is,I met "Hillbilly" buying "plantanos" in the Santiago National many years ago.I thought he was a Dominican,and even complimented him on his "excellent" English!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Criss Colon said:
I go to "POLA" on Camino Chiquito when I know "National" will be packed,but only for "Dry Goods",not meat.If I see some "hamburger" at Pola,I poke my finger through the plastic wrap and give a "smell",most times the stink is so bad I throw it back.It it has "no smell",I'll buy it! I NEVER have to use the "Sniff" test at National.

Ain't that the truth. Nasty meat that I don't trust enough to touch the package.......That Pola on Camino Chiquito is the closest supermarket to my house but I'd rather go to El Nacional on Lope de Vega............it's worth the drive.

europeanguy

Nov 23, 2004
Lama

Supermercado Lama close to Plaza Central on Avenida 27 Febrero. Main reason for choosing is the excellent food court they have there, and where you can have lunch. But besides that they also have a very big selection, inclding flowers !

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
europeanguy said:
Supermercado Lama close to Plaza Central on Avenida 27 Febrero. Main reason for choosing is the excellent food court they have there, and where you can have lunch. But besides that they also have a very big selection, inclding flowers !
Roaches are courtesy of the house.

Yes, roaches. I have seen roaches (Ok, one) walking on the floor in the food court. Plus I saw one employee using her bare hands to serve a portion of minced meat (raw). Sorry, I would not buy food in Plaza Lama that is not pre-packed on factory. They have a poor selection and worse distribution. It is nothing but a glorified colmado.