Best Falafel in SD

JohnB

Sep 23, 2004
Best Falafel in Santo Domingo

Name: El Rey
Location: Corner of Padre Bellini and Sanchez right next to the "S-Bar"
Reason why?:
Authentic, reeaally tasty and reasonably priced - the shwarma was almost as good too. Nice atmosphere and good music seeping through from the bar next door.:classic:

Last edited by a moderator:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Agreed! They also have a branch in the new part of the city, in Ens. Seralles.

El Rey del Falafel
Calle Jose Amado Soler (between Lincoln and Lope de Vega).

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
same falafel there, but there is no shwarma

Chirimoya said:
Agreed! They also have a branch in the new part of the city, in Ens. Seralles.

El Rey del Falafel
Calle Jose Amado Soler (between Lincoln and Lope de Vega).

Isn't that neighborhood Piantini?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
arturo said:
Isn't that neighborhood Piantini?

That neighbourhood between Lincoln and LdV is called Seralles - south of Kennedy and north of Gustavo Mejia Ricart. There is a farmacia on the same stretch of Jose Amado Soler called 'Farmacia Piantini', but Piantini is mainly between Lincoln and Churchill. The boundaries are often undefined, hence the confusion.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
I like the one in.....

JohnB said:
Reason why?:
Authentic, reeaally tasty and reasonably priced - the shwarma was almost as good too. Nice atmosphere and good music seeping through from the bar next door.:classic:

I likie the one in "Zona Colonial". I'm not sure how to get there but my brother introduced me to it and I think we have hit it every single time i've been back in the DR.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
juanita said:
Is it possible to buy a bag of the Pita breads at the one on Jose Amado?

Yes, they sell them there - that's where they bake them. You have to go after midday usually.

They do delivery as well. I'll post the phone number later.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
leromero said:
I likie the one in "Zona Colonial". I'm not sure how to get there but my brother introduced me to it and I think we have hit it every single time i've been back in the DR.

That's the one the OP is referring to. :)

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
JohnB said:
Authentic, reeaally tasty and reasonably priced :classic:

I agree. Very good indeed.

Warning though: The picante sauce is "extremely" hot.
TEHAMA

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
"Warning though: The picante sauce is "extremely" hot. TEHAMA"

By the way, they sell the hot sauce and the tahini to go.

JohnB

Sep 23, 2004
Mirador said:
"Warning though: The picante sauce is "extremely" hot. TEHAMA"

By the way, they sell the hot sauce and the tahini to go.

Well, felafel is hardly felafel without an extremely hot sauce :lick: - besides after the hot sauce even a "Presidente" goes down well.... :ermm:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Phone number for Rey del Falafel delivery (covers areas around Seralles - Piantini, Arroyo Hondo, Paraiso, Naco etc.)

412 2266

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
JohnB said:
Reason why?:
I think this is the place which is run (or was originally run) by a hippy type israeli guy. At the time he didn't have shawerma but he did serve up a mean falafel. The only down side is, I ate 4 falafel in 12 hour period and later in the morning I was punished for my sins. I had the most horrifying constipation from hell which broke open my a$$ in pieces. I think I ruptured an old anal fissure. I was in pain for days and couldn't go to batroom for 3 days. So eaters be aware. This good tasting falafel can curse you in the morning. Try sticking to eating, no more than 2 falafel in one sitting. I have never returned to this place ever again. I may go back to eat shwerma though.
AZB

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
so it's true...

AZB said:
I think this is the place which is run (or was originally run) by a hippy type israeli guy. At the time he didn't have shawerma but he did serve up a mean falafel. The only down side is, I ate 4 falafel in 12 hour period and later in the morning I was punished for my sins. I had the most horrifying constipation from hell which broke open my a$$ in pieces. I think I ruptured an old anal fissure. I was in pain for days and couldn't go to batroom for 3 days. So eaters be aware. This good tasting falafel can curse you in the morning. Try sticking to eating, no more than 2 falafel in one sitting. I have never returned to this place ever again. I may go back to eat shwerma though.
AZB

...gluttony really is a deadly sin

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004