El Colibri Resort in Sosua

grmtngrl

Jan 20, 2005
Wondering if anyone out there has had a recent experience with this hotel.

this will be 2nd trip to Sosua, and last time stayed at big all inclusive, and wanted something smaller

Looking forward to leaving the snow covered hills of VT for a while-

Thanks in advance

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
grmtngrl said:

this will be 2nd trip to Sosua, and last time stayed at big all inclusive, and wanted something smaller

Thanks in advance
El Colibri is not a resort.
It is a medium size one floor hotel at the East end of Pedro Clisante, Sosua's main street, approx. a 15 minute walk from the downtown core.
It has a decent reputation, a bit pricey for it's location, nice pool, operated by Europeans, maybe Dutch.
What else would you like to know?

TorontoBlonde

Feb 10, 2005
My Experience

Hey

I stayed there last April for 1 month and here is my experience.

1.they turn off the power from 9am-6pm and from 11pm an on So it makes getting ready to go out impossible. watching TV listening to music etc (the owner is too cheap to leave the generator on all day)

2. If you have guests the can give you a hard time. You have to sign them in and if they want to swim in the pool you have to pay $2 USD per person who is a guest.
(we saw alot of dirty old white men bring home four or five 15 year old Domincain girls there)

3. There rates were over priced for the accomodations they provided.

You are better served to get a short term rental in one of the local condos. I know in my building a studio with a bed,couch,T.V, Kitchen (fully equiped) Dinning room, a beautiful pool,24 hour power,security,hot water runs about $200 USD per week as a short term rental.

You will also save a lot of money preparring your own food.

These condos are in a safe location close and walking distance from the tourist districk in Sosua.

Send me a PM if you would like me to put you in touch witha couple of the renatl agents that take care of the condos.

Toronto Blonde

grmtngrl said:

Thanks in advance

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Rental agents

TorontoBlonde said:
Hey

1.they turn off the power from 9am-6pm and from 11pm an on So it makes getting ready to go out impossible. watching TV listening to music etc (the owner is too cheap to leave the generator on all day)

2. If you have guests the can give you a hard time. You have to sign them in and if they want to swim in the pool you have to pay $2 USD per person who is a guest.
(we saw alot of dirty old white men bring home four or five 15 year old Domincain girls there)

You are better served to get a short term rental in one of the local condos. I know in my building a studio with a bed,couch,T.V, Kitchen (fully equiped) Dinning room, a beautiful pool,24 hour power,security,hot water runs about $200 USD per week as a short term rental.

You will also save a lot of money preparring your own food.

These condos are in a safe location close and walking distance from the tourist districk in Sosua.

Send me a PM if you would like me to put you in touch witha couple of the renatl agents that take care of the condos.

Toronto Blonde

Put me in touch please

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I stayed there two times. The place is run but a Dutch family and it depends which brothers are there at the time.

This place has the nicest pool in town and they had a good restaurant when I stayed there. The management is nice also. It is a bit out from the beach area but not a troublesome walk.

I enjoyed the place but after staying there I either wanted a place farther out of town or closer in.

Evidently Toronto Blonde has problems with men having sex other than her Sankie:)

I went from their to Condos Dominicanos then to Villa Chessa. All have nice pools and are well kept. I bought my own place a few years ago so I am not 100% current. The nicest condos at a reasonable price with the best location are in El Neptuno where I live btw:.

I lived in W. Dover btw right near Mt. Snow.

Escott

theoldmillwright

the oldmillwright
Mar 6, 2004
canada
We have stayed there twice the last time this past feb. The people running it are a dutch couple who are great people,it is an affordable place, not to expensive ,never seen to much of the old men or women with young dominicans,it was all older couples and a few single females mostly,and we would stay their again.

TorontoBlonde

Feb 10, 2005
:)

Let me clarify a couple of things,

1. The couple running El Colibri are nice people, and yes the pool was nice.

2. The couple who made the origional post stated that thier last stay here was in a A1

At the time we stayed in El Colibri we had previously stayed in A1's. In the evening when going out we expressed that we needed electricity to use our hair dryer etc....

We were clearly told "this is not an A1" and that we would have to deal with it. For a person coming on vacation and being used to the comfort of an A1 I just dont think that El Colibri comes close. For the price and location it was my suggestion that this individual could do a little bit better then a motel room, with unreliable electricity.

Some of the condos in sosua are comperable in price to this motel and have kitchens so people may prepare their own food (saving $$ because we all know tourists dont get Dominican prices), and a generator with good enough capability that the power is on 24/7.

I can only comment on my own experiences

TB

P.S. Evidently my ex sanky was not a minor

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
TorontoBlonde said:
We were clearly told "this is not an A1" and that we would have to deal with it. For a person coming on vacation and being used to the comfort of an A1 I just dont think that El Colibri comes close.

Even my Dominican Apt has electric more hours.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
It stinks

I have been to Sosua 10 or 11 times.During my first trip 3 years ago, I stayed at El Colibri because I found it on-line and booked ahead of time. In my 9 or 10 subsequent trips I have not stayed there, nor will I ever stay there agian. Does that answer your question?

Larry

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
OK, but...

TorontoBlonde said:
Hey

did you like it? :classic:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Value

If Hotel Europa in the heart of downtown, rents much more luxurious rooms from $33 to $40 per night, then this is what makes Colibri pricey.
It's all a question of what you get for a given amount of money, and the rooms at the Europa are better equipped, no shutting the planta off, etc.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Jimmydr said:
Thats how the Dutch in Sosua run their properties. Voramar turns off generator often as well.

Hotel Don Andres is Dutch, and they don't do that. A very nice and inexpensive hotel in the middle of Town.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Tor said:
Hotel Don Andres is Dutch, and they don't do that. A very nice and inexpensive hotel in the middle of Town.
I don't think turning off the generator has anything to do with one's nationality.
It has to do with economics, or being cheap, inconsiderate, etc, but nothing to do with being Dutch.

grmtngrl

Jan 20, 2005
Thanks to all for the info-

As we stayed in an all inclusive last year, had no problems with power-

Do most condo complexes/hotels have intermitent power? Is the power from a company, or does everyone use generators for electricity- guess I am ignorant regarding this, and will need to find it out as we will be building a house and moving there in the next year or two or three.

Being a spoiled rotten American, even living on a one lane dirt road on a mountaintop in Vermont, the power is generally reliable unless a heavy snowfall

Anyway, we have rented a condo at Coconut Palms through someone on the real estate forum for our stay at what we feel is a good price, about $45 - 50 US. (I never thought to ask about the power!)

Although a bit away from Sosua, there are shuttles to Sosua everyday, so we can get our daily Rocky's fix-

It is very near where we bought a small piece of land last year, so we should get a feel for the area. Also it is near Gipsy Ranch where we had a terrific time twice riding horses on the beach.

I guess my next question will be to find out about buying groceries-

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Hotel Colibri

This hotel is a nice place and the owners are nice decent folks. I got along fine with them very well and consider them to be friends. It was a few years ago when I stayed there and I have since bought my own place. However, when I was there I experienced a problem with the guards. The hotel closes it's gate at about 1 am which I understand. BUT, the guard goes off someplace and sleeps. Try coming home after a night out and trying to climb over a spiked fence. Then, if the guard does come he is pissed off because you woke him up and he then starts breaking your stones by checking YOUR ID. I laughed at this because he knew daggone well who I was.

To everyone I aplogize for this next topic. It really doesn't belong in this thread but I felt compelled to comment.

As for the subject of dirty old white men made me laughed once again. Whatever their color, don't know why the comment about "dirty" was made is not the point. Bringing home minors is the point and yes it is repulsive and I agree with this poster regarding that. However the comment about men being white and dirty was uncalled for. I live here and see men of many different ethical backgrounds walking around with women (and sometimes men) of all ages. I also see many women of different ethical backgrounds as well and NO they are not shopping for shoes either. There is a system in effect to check the girls for their ID. This should insure and stop the practice of underaged sex. There is also obviously underaged sankies with their "catch" for the night being dragged along behind them. Anyone ever think that the fresh looking sankie just might be a minor himself? Hmmmmm, that leaves me wondering! Nothing ever mentioned about that! Checking everyone's ID will stop this. Then we will have no further need for the "morality police" to do the policing. I have seen more then my share of dirty old sankies walking into hotels with obviously underaged and intoxicated white female tourists. I guess this is ok according to the morality police because nothing was mentioned about it. Underaged sex is underaged sex and it doesn't always have to be with a dirty old white man.

Sigh

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
New Owners

I believe that there are new owners in the now, Scotty.
The place has changed hands so many times in the last 10 years that it is hard to keep up.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Rocky said:
I believe that there are new owners in the now, Scotty.
The place has changed hands so many times in the last 10 years that it is hard to keep up.

Yes, perhaps you are right!