Best Chinese restaurant in Santo Domingo

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Name: Chino de Mariscos
Reason why?: Among the Asian communities, this choice is a non-brainer. It serves authentic Chinese/Cantonese food with consistent quality and reasonable pricing. Dim Sum menu available during Sunday lunch.

This is probably the oldest existing Chinese restaurant in Santo Domingo. Too many others have come and go. This one has survived the test of time and has become an institution among the Chinese-speakers living in DR. Lots of weddings, banquets and special functions specific to the Chinese-speaking community take place here.

However, you'll need to go with a somwhat knowledgeable Chinese-speaker to taste the best food there as many exotic and authentic dishes are strictly made on request off-the-menu. (You will still see Dominicans ordering chow-fan, chop-sui and other "psuedo" Chinese to go with papas fritas while the Chinese order entirely different food, such as steamed whole fish, seafood served in sugarcane basket, soup served in carved melon, stewed king crab...etc) If you see a round-table (seating 10 heads) full of Chinese people, go and have a peek of what they order/eat. If you are brave enough, ask them to write down the names of the dishes (in Chinese) for you so you can ask for them on your own. Many will gladly help you out.

A close 2nd choice is:

Bella Cristal
Roberto Pastoriza No. 458
Tel: 540-2923

The decor is much better here and the food is excellent, though not as good as Chino de Mariscos. The chef here used to work at Chino de Mariscos but left in the late 1990's to set up his own.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
regional fare other than Cantonese?

What is your opinion of Pan Oliva in the mall along the Embajador's access road? They offer specialities of regions other than Cantonese. It caught my attention because the frosted windows reminded me of certain barbershops in China, but that's for another post. The inside reminded me of restaurants in China because of its very large and open dining room.

Some dishes I have especially enjoyed are the Shanghai style dumplings, the cabbage with dried shrimp, and a pan fried toad special they had one night.

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
A decent alternative

This is a reasonable choice, but I dont' think it belongs in the "best" category, mainly due to inconsistencies. This restaurant went through something like 5-6 owners in the past decade, but it got its act together under the current one, which has been there for about 4-5 years.

They have many unique choices not offered elsewhere in Santo Domingo and definitely worth a try. My only grumble is that the portions tend to be small. Smaller than is the norm at most Chinese restaurants. At one time, they even had the nerve to charge for tea (which always comes free in real Chinese restaurants everywhere in the world except in Europe). Good thing they dropped that practice.

Lots of guests from Hotel Embajador eat there. The onwer, Danny Liu, speaks fluent English, so you can also quiz him on the dishes if you want to know more about Chinese food, ingredients...etc

arturo said:
What is your opinion of Pan Oliva in the mall along the Embajador's access road? They offer specialities of regions other than Cantonese. It caught my attention because the frosted windows reminded me of certain barbershops in China, but that's for another post. The inside reminded me of restaurants in China because of its very large and open dining room.

Some dishes I have especially enjoyed are the Shanghai style dumplings, the cabbage with dried shrimp, and a pan fried toad special they had one night.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
William, obviously I am going to have to go with you next time I go to Chino de Mariscos! :classic: I have never been all that impressed by the place's food -- but then, maybe the Chinese restaurants of NYC and Metro DC have spoiled me. It may also be because I tend to favor Hunan or Szechuan styles. Any place in SD for those that you might recommend, or is China de Mariscos basically as close as I'll get? :cheeky:

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Did I read that right ???

arturo said:

You meant "pan fried frog" right ? I don't think toads are edible whichever way you cook it, not to mention poisonous. Yikes !!

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Ahh the perfect thread!! for I have been looking for my favorite dish when I can afford it..Does any of those have shrimp with Lobster sauce?? I always would buy Pork Fried Rice combo with Shrimp & Lobster Sauce in NY, but I have not found it yet here...I go to Santo Domingo once a Month and live in Puerto Plata..So, anything here in Puerto Plata or Santo Domingo??

Thanks!

Anthony