Best vegetarian Taiwanese food in Santo Domingo

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Name: Ice (formerly known as "Zona Fr?a")
Reason why?: Unique, tasty, exotic and ultra-cheap

Sometimes you come across the most unlikely places when least expected.

Despite the crazy price inflation in DR, there is a little oasis for those with adventurous taste bud on Bol?var (well, should be Romulo Betancourt for the finicky) just past Baskin Robbins (if you are heading westward) but before reaching Nu?ez de C?cerez. It's called "ICE" and serves low-key typical Taiwanese food/drinks so authentic I've managed to bump into just about every Taiwanese in DR while eating there in the past 3 years. The most amainzg part is the price: nothing on the menu is over RD$65 !

I've taken visiting friends and my American/Dominican suppliers there, all of whom marveled at how people can stay in business while charging so little for something so tasty. Beats me too. But I'm certainly not complaining

There are a few things worth sampling for first-timers:

1. Cold Noodles. (topped with shredded cucumber and sasame-peanut sauce)

2. Bubble Tea (Tea shakes in a variety of flavors with tapiocas optional)

3. Shaved Ice (Machine-grinded ice flakes with toppings (fruits, tapiocas, green beans and taro) of your choice)

They have recently expanded the menu to include lots of bewildering choice of drinks. Vegeterian soup (egg drop, "vegetarian meat ball", and wanton) are also on offer.

For the truly adventurous, aim for "Doh Wha", which is bean curd (tofu's near cousin) pudding in sugary ice, with your choice of topping (my fav is tapioca). This is only available Fri, Sat and Sunday. This is pure soy-bean protein !

Their menus are in Chinese/Spanish and it might be quite a struggle to decipher the items but it's well worth the effort. (When in doubt, see what your neighoring table is ordering) I'd call this place sort of a Taiwanese "taparer?a" as food comes in medium small portions, good for those high on tasting but low on gorging. But you can certainly map out your whole meal for under RD$200.

It's a tiny hole-in-the-wall place that seats fewer than 15, so one could easily drive past without noticing. Just remember it's on the same side but 50 feet past Baskin Robbins as you head west.

Open 11am- 10:00pm. It closes on Mondays.

Another new good choice is:

Para Te
Camen Celia Balaguer, esquina Acueductors Rurales, El Millon Tel: 476-9932
(when you go north along Nu?ez de C?cerez past Ave. 27, turn left on the street just before Supermercado Nacional, then take the first right).

See: http://groups.msn.com/parate/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3

It's a "tea house" hidden in a wonderfully lush manicured garden with Chinese pavilions, bonzai plants and orchids.

See: http://groups.msn.com/parate/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=6 , http://groups.msn.com/parate/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=12

Because the owners came from Zona Fr?a, half the menu is identical. They do have a few unique dishes (such as soup noodles). But they don't serve shaved ice, which is a specialty at ICE. A good place to while away the afternoon in a relaxed setting.

Open noon- 7:00pm. It closes on Mondays.

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Para Te

Have recently included shaved ice and smoothies on the menu. The Vegetarian fried rice is GREAT!

Great place for a great price!