Travelling to DR with baby???

beckyred11

Jul 9, 2002
I have been reading some posts about travelling with children and the documentation needed to do so, and I am about to hit panic mode! After living in the DR for two years, I will be returning in May/June for vacation with my daughter (who will be six months old then and meeting her daddy for the first time!). I am a little confused by what I have been reading so I am hoping that someone can clarify for me what I need to do. I am still waiting (patiently) for my baby's birth certificate, and plan on getting her a passport. But, I was reading something about permission from the other parent to travel??? The thing is, I was unable to name my boyfriend as the father on her birth registration since he is in the DR and was unable to sign the papers here in Canada when she was born. I would assume then that I do not need permission to travel from her father since no father is named on her birth registration. But, how do they know that at the airport or immigration since mother or father are not named on Birth Certificate OR Passport? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Becky....here's a thought!

Rather than getting her a separate passport (which I'm not sure you can until she's older anyway) have her put on your passport! We did this with our son when he was young (7 yrs old) and travelling to Europe only with his father.
That way my husband didn't have to worry about carrying his passport, son's passport and travel permission doc's. All he had to carry was his passport with son on it!
If the rules haven't changed (they may have) you can file for a new passport with your daughter on it with only her birth registration ( check first 'cause they may require her actual certificate now!).
Call your local MP's office and they will obtain the info for you.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
MommC said:
Rather than getting her a separate passport (which I'm not sure you can until she's older anyway) have her put on your passport! We did this with our son when he was young (7 yrs old) and travelling to Europe only with his father.
That way my husband didn't have to worry about carrying his passport, son's passport and travel permission doc's. All he had to carry was his passport with son on it!
If the rules haven't changed (they may have) you can file for a new passport with your daughter on it with only her birth registration ( check first 'cause they may require her actual certificate now!).
Call your local MP's office and they will obtain the info for you.

That was the old rules, now you need a passport even for babies.

beckyred11

Jul 9, 2002
I do, indeed, need a seperate passport for Mal?a. Apparently the rules changed in 2001. But, I contacted the Office of the Registrar General this morning and they assured me that I will have her birth certificate in 2 or 3 weeks and then it should be no problem to get the passport by the end of May. My concern is whether I will have any problem entering (or exiting, for that matter) the Dominican Republic since I have read about instances where one parent needs to provide proof from the other parent that the child is allowed to travel. Mal?a's father is not named on her birth registration since he was in the DR at the time of her birth, but how will the people at the airport or customs know that? Do I need to get a copy of the birth registration which states me as a single-parent? Or will they just take my word for it? Or should I just take a chance and hope that nobody looks twice at us? I'm just trying to collect all of the information that I possibly can before I travel. Any advice is great!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If the baby bears your name, and the father's name is not on the birth certificate, then I can't see how you can have any problem. You are the sole tutor of the child.