Current fads

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bear with me, I am a little out of touch. I hardly ever watch TV, so some things that everyone else seems to know about are a total mystery to me.

I've only just caught on to those coloured rubber bands people are wearing on their wrists. I was given a white one and in true fashion-victim style have worn it once or twice. I only hope it doesn't have any sinister significance I'm unaware of.

What I want to know is - what is the meaning (if any) behind those stickers that have recently appeared on the backs of cars, often on the rear windscreen, with cartoon depictions of cutsie people and sometimes animals?

They annoy the f#*k out of me, BTW.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Chirimoya said:
I've only just caught on to those coloured rubber bands people are wearing on their wrists. I was given a white one and in true fashion-victim style have worn it once or twice. I only hope it doesn't have any sinister significance I'm unaware of.
That was a campaign started by cyclist champion Armstrong to get money for cancer awareness. Of course not soon did it become popular when a hundred fake wristbands appeared on the market and a lot of people wear it because they are headless drones and have no idea what it means. Plus the money goes to unscrupolous Asian manufacturers.

http://www.laf.org/news_events/news/pr-20041026.cfm

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Reminds me when my son-in-law Heath (who's a parole and probation officer in Missouri) mentioned that the red head bandana with Chinese markings I was wearing for the beach was in fact a gang symbol, and that I could get in trouble for wearing it in certain regions of the US.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Chiri chiri bam bam!

Chirimoya said:

What I want to know is - what is the meaning (if any) behind those stickers that have recently appeared on the backs of cars, often on the rear windscreen, with cartoon depictions of cutsie people and sometimes animals?

They annoy the f#*k out of me, BTW.
Here in the US, there's a "fashion statement" regarding those colored rubber bands.

In many cases, they have hidden messages. For instance, I've been told, at a punk rock concert, a certain color means that you are willing to buy drugs, another color means that you sell drugs, another color means that you don't put out, another color means "come and get me, I am all yours"........

You are in the DR so I gather that you have nothing to worry about, unless they are already copying it!!!!!!!!!.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
I think the yellow ones are from the Lance Armstrong Cancer Foundation. The Color coded ones are used to indicate the type of sexual activities you are willing to perform and your availabity for such (according to american teenagers). That's what I've heard. Cuidado Mami. :lick:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
miguel said:
Here in the US, there's a "fashion statement" regarding those colored rubber bands.

In many cases, they have hidden messages. For instance, I've been told, at a punk rock concert, a certain color means that you are willing to buy drugs, another color means that you sell drugs, another color means that you don't put out, another color means "come and get me, I am all yours"........

You are in the DR so I gather that you have nothing to worry about, unless they are already copying it!!!!!!!!!.
According to one of those American investigative shows (I can't recall which) the fad started after the Lance Armstrong campaign when unscrupulous manufacturers started to make them in different colors.

IF I wanted to make a contribution to a cancer awareness organization I will just give them the money. I sure as hell won't be wearing a rubber band, I'd rather go to an AI for that, plus I can get free bad food with my rubber band.

But that's just me. :classic:

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
I'm not sure if Dominicans in DR know what the yellow Armstrong band is for. They think it's a fashion statement as I've seen an alarming amount of jevitos wearing them. The funny thing is that those bands are being sold for as much as 300 pesos or 10usd. and 100 pesos or 3usd at the cheapest. This fad has never caught on in the US as bad as it has swept the legions self proclaimed Jevitos in SD. Another "Only in DR" for the books!...

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
How many kids do you have!

"What I want to know is - what is the meaning (if any) behind those stickers that have recently appeared on the backs of cars, often on the rear windscreen, with cartoon depictions of cutsie people and sometimes animals?"

I saw them for sale at Mundo del Juguete ($150/each), you put up stickers representing your family; 3 kids, one dog + parents...pretty tacky eh!

For a long time I could not understand how come I would see the same Jeepeta everywhere around the city, till I realized it was not the same car but that many fools had the stickers up.

My question is, what happens if dad has 3 kids here, 6 in Canada, 4 in the US and 5 in Europe, does he put up all 18 stickers on his pasola? :ermm:

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Final Score...

in Southern California just about every minivan has either the stick figures representing the family members or the ubiquitous license plate holder with the final kids score "girls 2, boys 0" or whatever number of kids the couple ended up with. Apparently they feel that we, the drivers stuck in gridlock, might find that information useful...for something. I'm still waiting for a sticker showing two moms or dads plus kids, or mommy,daddy and one of the kids with a rainbow over his(her) head.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
For those of you who think that Dominicans know nothing, a few of my friends actually asked me if it was possible to get them the "wristbands for cancer". I ordered them online from the Lance Armstrong Foundation so I know the money is going where it should.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
juanita said:
"What I want to know is - what is the meaning (if any) behind those stickers that have recently appeared on the backs of cars, often on the rear windscreen, with cartoon depictions of cutsie people and sometimes animals?"

I saw them for sale at Mundo del Juguete ($150/each), you put up stickers representing your family; 3 kids, one dog + parents...pretty tacky eh!

For a long time I could not understand how come I would see the same Jeepeta everywhere around the city, till I realized it was not the same car but that many fools had the stickers up.

My question is, what happens if dad has 3 kids here, 6 in Canada, 4 in the US and 5 in Europe, does he put up all 18 stickers on his pasola? :ermm:

Oh puke. I knew it was going to be something like that. At least it isn't part of some family-values-moral-crusade, which is what I suspected. Just the usual twee BS aimed at parting fools from their money.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Nike

Nike somehow supports/sponsors the foundation with Lance Armstrong.

You can buy the official "Live Strong" wristbands at any Niketown store, in any color, for $1 each.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
So then, what coded message am I unwittingly sending by wearing a white band? :paranoid:

Mine's actually supposed to be for another campaign, but for some reason it arrived without the slogan on it.

"Unique worldwide effort..." somehow I don't think so.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
2dlight said:
in Southern California just about every minivan has either the stick figures representing the family members or the ubiquitous license plate holder with the final kids score "girls 2, boys 0" or whatever number of kids the couple ended up with. Apparently they feel that we, the drivers stuck in gridlock, might find that information useful...for something. I'm still waiting for a sticker showing two moms or dads plus kids, or mommy,daddy and one of the kids with a rainbow over his(her) head.

There's definitely scope for parody there, I suppose it's just a matter of time. Then there'll be some people who don't recognise satire when it hits them in the face and will buy a spoof sticker in all seriousness. Like the 'Darwin fish' I saw on the back of a taxi in SD the other day.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Do you know your awareness bracelets?
Texan cyclist Lance Armstrong set up a cancer foundation after being diagnosed with testicular cancer, and began selling wristbands for a dollar each one year ago.

WHAT FOLLOWED YELLOW?
More yellow: Support Our Troops (also in camouflage green)
Blue: Anti-bullying, anti-Bush vote, tsunami relief, prostate cancer
Pink: Breast cancer
Red: Heart-disease, vote Bush, anti-tobacco, HIV
Purple: Cystic fibrosis, lupus (also orange), domestic violence
White: Jesus Loves Me, right to life
Orange: Asperger's, self-harm
Grey: Diabetes, brain cancer
Black & white: Racism in football
Green: Ecology, leukaemia, organ donor
Gold: Childhood cancer
Black: Mourning, melanoma
bbc.com
[cruel]It suits you well...[/cruel]

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
How is anyone supposed to remember what each color means?

Awareness bracelets.....so silly.

Larry