Only four days in DR....

chicaaruba

Mar 21, 2005
Hi there,
We really need your help!! We (couple) are going to the DR for 3 nights only with Easter. We think of staying in Santo Domingo (already booked hotel) but like to see something of the 'country' as well.
Tips for SD and outside are highly appreciated!

We would like to:
- dance some salsa (merengue is fine too), in SD
- visit a natural park or something REALLY green (we live on this desertlike island)
- see the old city and a museum (tips which? we love modern art...)
- maybe do some shopping (we live on a small island...)
- snorkel or even dive (anything near SD?)

I know, this sounds like rather a lot for such a small time but all tips, ideas and recommendations are highly, highly appreciated! (Can't buy a lonely planet either where we live...)

By the way, as I said it is easter, semana santa that is, anything special to see or to take into account?

thanks a LOT!

chica aruba

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Dance salsa at Las Palmas piano bar at the Hotel Santo Domingo, or Jet Set Disco at Av. Independencia.

Visit a natural park or something REALLY green -- Santo Domingo Botanical Gardens. Note, drought is affecting the island at the present time. But this is a lovely park.

See the old city and a museum (tips which? we love modern art...)
Stroll the Colonial City. Visit the Bellapart Museum on Av. John F. Kennedy and the Museum of Modern Art at Plaza de la Cultura.

Maybe do some shopping (we live on a small island...)
Plaza Central at Winston Churchill and 27 de Febrero.

Snorkel or even dive (anything near SD?)
Doesn't seem to be enough time -- La Caleta (check at the dive centers of any of the hotels in Boca Chica).

Visit the Santo Domingo Cathedral on Friday, 25 March getting there by 7:30 pm to be present at the choral presentation. Stay to enjoy the Colonial City afterwards.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Can you snorkel at La Calita?- I heard the water there is about 1000 feet deep and there are sharks, as were used by Trujillo for post torture victims disposal. I think people like to snorkel near Catalina Island etc., no?

Boca Chica has snorklers but there is nothing other than sand inside the barrier "reef".

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
It is a well known dive site. The dive schools take their students there as one of the first dive sites. I can't think of a nearby snorkeling site.