Santiago to Sosua

kokomo

Dec 27, 2004
Hi,

Since flight prices seem to have skyrocketed in the past few weeks, my husband and I are thinking of flying Jetblue (from NYC) to Santiago, with our ultimate destination being a hotel in Sosua where my mom has a timeshare she's kindly offered to let us use.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good hotel in Santiago - decent but not fancy, easy to get to at midnight or whatever crazy time we'll be landing, and.....

does anyone have any recommendations on how to get to Sosua? Should we hire a car and driver? Take a bus? Guagua? And about how much should we expect to pay?

We enjoy to traveling - I've been to the DR once this fall and loved it (again, Sosua). This will be my husband's first trip. First of many, I hope! I speak a little Spanish, but am by no means fluent. I'm kind of glad we won't be flying into POP because I'm looking forward to seeing more of this beautiful country.

Thanks in advance!
kokomo

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
took a cab to santiago

took a cab from sosua for the day to santiago. cost 100us return. 1 way 70?
kokomo said:
Hi,

Since flight prices seem to have skyrocketed in the past few weeks, my husband and I are thinking of flying Jetblue (from NYC) to Santiago, with our ultimate destination being a hotel in Sosua where my mom has a timeshare she's kindly offered to let us use.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good hotel in Santiago - decent but not fancy, easy to get to at midnight or whatever crazy time we'll be landing, and.....

does anyone have any recommendations on how to get to Sosua? Should we hire a car and driver? Take a bus? Guagua? And about how much should we expect to pay?

We enjoy to traveling - I've been to the DR once this fall and loved it (again, Sosua). This will be my husband's first trip. First of many, I hope! I speak a little Spanish, but am by no means fluent. I'm kind of glad we won't be flying into POP because I'm looking forward to seeing more of this beautiful country.

Thanks in advance!
kokomo

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
There is no such thing

sosuajames said:
took a cab from sosua for the day to santiago. cost 100us return. 1 way 70?

as a "one way" trip for the driver and his vehicle. Regardless of whether he is based in Santiago or Sosua, he will ultimately have to return home. He might get lucky and get a fare in the other direction, but couldn't count on it. The only difference in your situation is the driver's time, and $30 a day is a very good wage in the DR.

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
Hi,

Cheap hotel (rount 15US$ per night) in the Center of Santiago : Hotel Colonial, Calle Cucurullo, sorry, I can't find the phone number (someone has it ?). It's rather clean, with TV and AC, but don't expect it to be a Sheraton...

To go to Sosua, take a bus (Caribe Tour), it leaves every hour (from 5 am to 7pm, I think) and will cost you round 100 pesos per person (3.5US$). They are very comfortable, with (too much) AC (take a sweater !). The trip last 2 hours. To go to Caribe Tour from the hotel, just take a taxi in Santiago, it will cost you 80 pesos (ask "Caribe Tour en los Jardines", it's close from the center, otherwise, there is another stop in Las Colinas).

Hope this helps

Regards

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Excellent advice on travel from El Belga..

For overnight..if you arrive at STI airport late, you might want to take a cabana.. that should set you back around RD$ 600 - 700 for the nite..

Grab a taxi and ask for Helios or Imperial.. there are others too..

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You have another choice

You can have a taxi pick you up at the airport and take you to your hotel in Sosua for $60 bucks. Good reliable people

The woman that runs it is Roc?o Valerio: palomalinda0890@hotmail.com

The problem with a caba?a is that these are hot bed places, with people coming in and out (in more ways than one!) all night long...Same money for the Colonial.

HB

kokomo

Dec 27, 2004
Thanks everyone for your excellent tips! I'm trying to stay positive and make this trip happen. All the details involved in getting away (on this end, not even talking about in the DR) at this time of year are such a drag - I keep reminding myself how worth it will all be when I'm on the beach with a nice fish fry and a cold Presidente.

Thanks,
kokomo