Rare question! and subject!

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
This is a new one, I guess, but I am serious!

Suppose I want to make a Kitcar here in the DR.
I buy the frame, a nice and strong V8 ( :knockedou) and the complete kit in the States, have it shipped over here (pay ofcourse the taxes) and build it.
Then I want to drive it and I need a matricula (license plate), here starts the trouble of course! Anybody has experience with this or are there other ways of doing this?

I can imagine buying an old car (with license plate) here and strip it, convert it to my "super-car", insure it and just start driving it. Suppose it's a replica of a ferrari, what will be the reaction of the highly educated AMET-officer when the papers tell him it's a 1985 Pontiac Fiero? (Maybe a replica of a Hummer is better because I have to drive through the potholes of the Metro soon!)

Thanks for your information and of course jokes are always welcome ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You might get away with it.

If you ship it in different packaging, maybe dirty it up a bit. Declare it as scrap or used auto parts...:D:D

Give it a try. I'd live to see it later. But you should bring in a diesel engine for it!

HB:D:D:D

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I've seen weird vehicles here. In the campo where we drive often, you see a Mercedes Benz front with a Nissan load bed. Weird! In a little cambio in Cabarete, just up from Janet's Supermercado, are pictures of 'double' cars apparently built here in the 60's. The longest and funniest limos I've ever seen. Like Hillbilly, I think you may just get away with it. The amusement value always counts for something when you have to deal with Dominican Officialdom!

I vote for a hummer!

Lurch

Aug 8, 2003
Peterj said:
This is a new one, I guess, but I am serious!

Suppose I want to make a Kitcar here in the DR.
I buy the frame, a nice and strong V8 ( :knockedou) and the complete kit in the States, have it shipped over here (pay ofcourse the taxes) and build it.
Then I want to drive it and I need a matricula (license plate), here starts the trouble of course! Anybody has experience with this or are there other ways of doing this?

I have been tinkering with idea of importing a 64 GTO convertible (currently in storage), however even my customs guys are giggling about the headaches its going to cause. If you come up with a solution, I would love to hear it.

No parachute comments as it has already been mentioned :p

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Lurch said:
I have been tinkering with idea of importing a 64 GTO convertible (currently in storage), however even my customs guys are giggling about the headaches its going to cause. If you come up with a solution, I would love to hear it.
Wow a 64 GTO convertible!! There aren?t many of them left (there weren't many in the first place). Even if you were able to bring it to the DR, I think the roads there would destroy the car. It's a shame about John DeLorean.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Well, you want to import a car which is over 3 years old!
That is not allowed here so you will have huge problems.

My intention is different: building a kitcar or replica on an existing vehicle which is already here. A lot of kitcars have the frame of a Pontiac Fiero so if I find one here (with title, license plates etc.) I can build it. There are no limits or rules about importing car-parts whatever their age, so a nice V8 with transmission of 1995 is no problem. And the other parts neither; you have to pay import-taxes of course.

I have once heard about special laws and regulations about importing a classic car (over 25 years old) but be prepared for "battle" because everybody wants something "extra" in her or his wallet at the end of the day!

The other day I saw a Ford Mustang Convertible of 1965 in mint condition (red); this car was imported so it is possible. Try to contact somebody who did this and maybe you drive your GTO within half a year, good luck!

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Peterj said:
Well, you want to import a car which is over 3 years old!
That is not allowed here so you will have huge problems.

Ok, first I heard 7 years old, then 5 years old, now it's 3 years old. what's the real story?

I have a 1954 MG that I would like to bring with me to the DR when I retire, is that possible?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
rellosk said:
Wow a 64 GTO convertible!! There aren?t many of them left (there weren't many in the first place). Even if you were able to bring it to the DR, I think the roads there would destroy the car. It's a shame about John DeLorean.
I had a 65' Coupe Red w/6pack and 4 speed in primo condition. Sold it last year. Honestly I wouldnt want to drive that bad boy here anyway. Traction Bars, Tricky cam, and bumps would make me an invalid in 30 days of driving here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Don't Believe That they "Made" A 1964 "GTO"!

What they "made",was a 1964 Pontiac LeMans,with a "GTO" option package! ;)

But then who wants to "Nit Pick"? :bandit:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
After finding out about car prices (due to taxes, taxes and re-taxas at customs) I have been thinking the same; importing car parts and assemble it. You can everything to build any Corvette or Mustang for an example. Sure, parts will be dealt with differently and it will be easier to get them thru under the table by a customs broker... but I think that YOUR real questions (and also mine) is, once the vehicle is created, how do you register a vehicle that never was imported and that never had any papers??

And then we need some adresses for some serious Jeepeta kits :) cus Ferraris, Mustangs and Corvettes won't last long on these roads.

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
January 2005 I paid a visit to the Aduanas offices in Santo Domingo (down at the Malecon, close to the Ozama river) and inquired about the "Law" and costs... there seems to be no clear formula to calculate the value of duties to import a car... you have to name the car by year and model and the computers tells them "esto cuesta".
I did not especifically ask if one could import old vehicles but the Customs officer mentioned that if older than 5 years, taxes would be applied as if it were 5 years, which would make me tend to understand that yes, one could bring in an older than 5 year vehicle but would pay at least the amount listed for the same brand and model of the 2000 issue...
So to give you a constructive an real life example, if you'd have an 1952 Nash Ambassador they would just look up how much the model 2000 Nash Ambassador (with all the same options, like Hydraglide over drive and backlite instrument panel and the fold down to a flat bed seat options) lists for and calculate from there. I would say that's easy to understand, now... :nervous:

Inquiring minds still would love to know how to register a vehicle that has been built (assembled) in the DR??

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
J D Sauser said:
I did not especifically ask if one could import old vehicles but the Customs officer mentioned that if older than 5 years, taxes would be applied as if it were 5 years, which would make me tend to understand that yes, one could bring in an older than 5 year vehicle but would pay at least the amount listed for the same brand and model of the 2000 issue...
There is a ban on importing cars older than 5 years. You would either bleed money through your nose trying to take it out or will have it impounded.

pescador

Apr 19, 2004
Who even makes a "jeepeta" kit????
No one even offers a Jeep kit anymore (such as old CJ5's). You would have to order parts from different manufactures to make up a kit yourself. (well, I haven't seen any offered anyway)
There are companies that offer complete steel bodies for CJ5's and Cj7's, (or fiberglass). A couple places make new frames. And you would have to go through junk yards for piece parts.

You could always buy a complete one in the states (or Mexico), take it completely apart. and ship it in sub assemblies. Probably best done with some weeks inbetween shipments or someone might catch on and try to get some money out of you. Even think about going through different ports.

There is a guy (US expatriot) driving around in a sandrail that has plates. That is a kit car. I used to see him driving around often near the plaza lama area. Its the ugliest thing you can imagine, painted camo with a flag waving of the back. Looks like its ready to break in half.
If you ever see him, chase him down and ask him how he got it registered.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Real Jeeps (CJ-type'a stuff) are considered neither, guapo nor chevere. So fogettaboutit.
I think that a sub assembliplant for a linda Jeepeta, coud be a business opportuinity and at that scale the government would have to declare the parts taxfree. It has been done in much larger scale in Europe (GM and Chrysler in Switzerland and later Austria) and Mexico, Venezuela and Brazil (again GM, and VW). Be fore you sandblastme with white Bavaro Beach sand... I do understand that these are BIG companies, but the mather of a fact is the DR has NO industry in this sense and I think they would or could give some opportunity to a startup. Then we ould have to find a kit or a crmaker ready do deliver in easy assembly ready parts... and I have one in mind (fsten your seat belts!): Hummer. Hummer is a serious a Jeepeta you cn get on this planet. They are bolted together and are expensive to asseble in the US because they're personal labour intensive. They are highly regarded in the DR and they would sell at the US ticket price, if only without the 50%+ import taxes added. An other option is to look at autmobil makers in Brazil (if there still are any (as I understand the Dr gov. is working out a trade deal with Brazil) and then China is still an option. The deal is to get Tax exemption in return for creating jobs.

I know, I know, what you an me just wanted is a good car, NOW just for you and maybe for me too. And it may seem a little out demeasurate to create a whole industry sector just for that...
I'm just brainstorming, sorry. (Normal people don't leave Europe to live in the DR. This is as good as it gets.

But if some here like to brainstorm along this lane with me and are shy to do it here, I can still be private mailed.

Pite y pase! ... J-D.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
pescador said:
If you ever see him, chase him down and ask him how he got it registered.
This is just a guess, but since the placa and matricula (license plate and registration) are tied to the chassis, could it be that he used a chassis that was already here and already had a placa? All you have to do after the modifications is to update the registration to show the changes.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Pib said:
This is just a guess, but since the placa and matricula (license plate and registration) are tied to the chassis, could it be that he used a chassis that was already here and already had a placa? All you have to do after the modifications is to update the registration to show the changes.

That would work for a modified used car, I thought we were talking about brand new assembled kit cars.

When you import a car (used or new) you do one or more of the following: 1. pay import taxes in Customs, 2.take the car to Plan Piloto for them to certify it is not a stolen car and 3. take the customs and Plan piloto papers to Impuestos Internos to pay Placa taxes. After that, you go to Obras Publicas for the marbete thing. Most the times, car dealers do this procedure. So, it would be a good idea to have a car dealer as a partner :) It will be easier for them to find out the specific procedure for a local assembled car.

Jess