children having babies??

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
it seems the government or the "powers that be " can according to todays headline..keep track of how many children under the age of 16 had children...fathered by adults. if they know this ..why don't they go after the "fathers"? this reminds of the "mad cow disease" scare in the united states..my (i'm american) government was able to trace the source..right down to what farm..what stall..what country..the infected cow came from..yet ..they can't seem to find osama bin laden. point being..if they can take the time and research all these figures on these children..then go the extra yard to find the fathers..and if the fathers turn out to be tourists..that poses a problem that has to addressed. just a thought.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I can't even get a straight anwer to what the population of Sosua is. How are they going to find these fathers?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Can Anyone Give Me The definition of:"Mass Confusion"????

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

"FATHER'S DAY IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC"!!!! ;) ;) ;) :cry:

More "Straight Lines........................"PLEASE!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Underage sex and foreigners is a drop in the ocean to what happens locally, yet the government dumps lots of resources into catching a few gringos a year.
I guess it makes for better newspaper sales and international grants?

Those numbers in the news only covered one hospital in Santiago.
I wonder what the real numbers are for adolescent mothers country wide?
I would imagine in the thousands over the course of 12 months.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
red flag

Jimmydr said:
You think the fathers want to pay, Hell NO!!!! Child support is about 1,000 pesos a month I think.
what about the fact that this may be a "red flag" regarding child prostitution in the dr..and these "children" must have told someone that the fathers were adults..they published it. in this country ..if you are a sex offender..you have to register..pedophiles..rapists..etc...they should have to answer to someone when they board these flights to third world countries..or any country for that matter. making flip remarks about maury povich..fathers day..don't cut it if you are trying to raise a family in the dr..in todays new york daily news they have pictures..taken in iran..of a man being lashed and hung for crimes against 17 children..vampire of the desert they called him..so be aware and look out for the children of this island you all love..

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Happy Saint Patriks Day,...."Paddy"!

I think there MUST be a web site for people obsessed with Pedophelia! Start looking! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Don Tomas

Jun 22, 2004
paddy said:
what about the fact that this may be a "red flag" regarding child prostitution in the dr..and these "children" must have told someone that the fathers were adults..they published it. in this country ..if you are a sex offender..you have to register..pedophiles..rapists..etc...they should have to answer to someone when they board these flights to third world countries..or any country for that matter. making flip remarks about maury povich..fathers day..don't cut it if you are trying to raise a family in the dr..in todays new york daily news they have pictures..taken in iran..of a man being lashed and hung for crimes against 17 children..vampire of the desert they called him..so be aware and look out for the children of this island you all love..

Again as someone very familar with this country has already stated it is mostly 99% of the time Dominicanos getting Dominicanas pregnant, not foreigners. So your whole 1984 airplane questionnaire is pointless. Also since it was mostly Dominicans with each other, again the comment "child prositution" is pointless too since most likely no money was exchanged.

Remember the US doesn't set the laws for the rest of the world, if that was the case the age of consent in Canada would not be 14.

The Dominican culture considers a person to be an adult at the age of 15, according to the news story "In January there were 19 babies born to girls under the age of fifteen." Yes 19 is to many but not enough to get up on a high horse and ask for 1984 conditions.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Robert said:
Underage sex and foreigners is a drop in the ocean to what happens locally, yet the government dumps lots of resources into catching a few gringos a year.
I guess it makes for better newspaper sales and international grants?

Those numbers in the news only covered one hospital in Santiago.
I wonder what the real numbers are for adolescent mothers country wide?
I would imagine in the thousands over the course of 12 months.
Imagine, that was only in one hospital in Santiago, away from the tourists.

I wonder what the results are at any of the medical centers in Puerto Plata or elsewhere where many lonely European and North American men vacation.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"The First Step In SOLVING A Problem,Is To Realize That The Problem Exists!"

Here we have a "self proclaimed", well educated Dominican,who makes a post that shows better than I could,using my best sarcasm,what is the biggest hurdle for Dominicans to overcome,BEFORE,they can come to grips with what ails them!!
To even suggest that teenage pregnancy in the DR is the fault of "Foreign Tourists" is beyond belief!But it does fall into the Catagory of "Boiler Plate" responses to criticism of all dominicans,"It's NOT OUR fault!
("If Dominicans are nothing else,they ARE predictable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Yes it is "Pana"!

Have you seen those babies running around Sosua and Puerto Plata?????
They are 99.9% Black ,AND UGLY!!!
Unless the tourist are coming from Haiti,or Botswana,they are Dominicanos,"De Pura Sepa"!!

Have a happy "Semana Intoxicada"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Criss Colon said:
Here we have a "self proclaimed", well educated Dominican,who makes a post that shows better than I could,using my best sarcasm,what is the biggest hurdle for Dominicans to overcome,BEFORE,they can come to grips with what ails them!!
To even suggest that teenage pregnancy in the DR is the fault of "Foreign Tourists" is beyond belief!But it does fall into the Catagory of "Boiler Plate" responses to criticism of all dominicans,"It's NOT OUR fault!
("If Dominicans are nothing else,they ARE predictable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Yes it is "Pana"!

Unless the tourist are coming from Haiti,or Botswana,they are Dominicanos,"De Pura Sepa"!!

Have a happy "Semana Intoxicada"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Hablar con CC es una cosa pero MUY GRANDE!

Bueno, en la vida hay de todo.

Nobody is blaming this on foreign tourists.

I'm just wondering what number of girls are having kids with foreign men. That is not to say that most are being fathered by foreign men, just interested in the number in that segment of possible unwanted births.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Criss Colon said:
I guess the "black" tourists from the US don't count.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Public Service

Nal0whs said:
Imagine, that was only in one hospital in Santiago, away from the tourists.

I wonder what the results are at any of the medical centers in Puerto Plata or elsewhere where many lonely European and North American men vacation.

May be, just may be, these lonely European and North American men are only trying to lighten up the Dominican population. Sort of as a public service to give their offspring beautiful European features so the will not be looked at as ugly and discriminated against in the DR.

Chuckuindy

borruga

Aug 26, 2004
chuckuindy said:
May be, just may be, these lonely European and North American men are only trying to lighten up the Dominican population. Sort of as a public service to give their offspring beautiful European features so the will not be looked at as ugly and discriminated against in the DR.
Rest assured that European women all over the place (can't speak for the North Americans) are doing just the opposite to add beauty and color to the paleness of our population.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
borruga said:
Rest assured that European women all over the place (can't speak for the North Americans) are doing just the opposite to add beauty and color to the paleness of our population.

Yes, we are doing our best to bring some color in our pale society. Here in our very white Belgium it was reported last week that nowadays 20% of all marriages are 'multicultural' ones.
Bartolomeo

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Teenage mothers more common than we think

Don Tomas said:
Again as someone very familar with this country has already stated it is mostly 99% of the time Dominicanos getting Dominicanas pregnant, not foreigners.

I agree with Robert and Don Tomas.
On my first visits to the DR I was amazed by the amount of 'under18' single mothers. But this is not a typical DR problem. I am sure the same goes for poor areas in Brasil, Mexico, etc. Even in Europe, you find regions that are economically lagging behind and are suffering from the same problem. A couple of years ago, I was making a business trip to Northeast England (Newcastle, Sunderland): I was shocked by the number of teenage mothers with babies I saw there in the shopping malls.
I think we pay more attention to it when we are on holiday abroad but often don't realize the social problems that exist in our own countries.
Bartolomeo

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I would like to blame the Catholic Church...

But unfortunately that would be a somewhat unfounded accusation, much to my chagrin, as I would like to blame the Catholic Church for everything that is wrong and evil in the world. ;)

Anyway, teenage pregnancy has very little to do with tourism and much to do with education level and social-economic status. Sure middle class kids get knocked up once in a while (even the ones in Catholic schools judging by my two classmates that were expelled in our last year), but they are not as common as our sisters in lower economic classes and they tend to start their sex life later.

In an ideal world the frequency should be as low as it was in our school (2 17-yo girls in about 4 years), but that is not the case. As always it comes down to education and opportunities. A good sex-ed class should help too; I guess they have some anatomy class in public schools, but nothing like having a nun trying to explain to you about the birds and the bees to scar you for life and make sure that you become celibate for a long while. :eek:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Nal0whs said:
I'm just wondering what number of girls are having kids with foreign men. That is not to say that most are being fathered by foreign men, just interested in the number in that segment of possible unwanted births.

Unwanted... your joking right?

Nal0whs, you are most probably better off asking the local legal or law enforcement community for those numbers. I'm sure any girl from a low socio-economic background that becomes pregnant to a foreigner is "very" aware of her rights and what she is due. I'm sure in percentage terms, many of those receive some sort of help, either in the form of a one off payment or on-going support.

As has been said in this thread, they key to this Dominican social issue is education.
Actually, I'm sure male foreigners have done a pretty good job in this area, as condom use amongst them is much higher than the local male population. Some of the stories I have heard from locals in regards to contraception, the do's and don't can best be described as very interesting.

la flor

Jan 6, 2005
Im curious to know at what age/ grade level are the Dominican children taught about sex education in school? is birth control such as the pill availible at low cost for these young girls? and whats a few dollars to pick up some condoms! Are they being taught about diseases? Are these girls going to school pregnant, then finishing after their babies are born?