hair dryer...

marylou22

Mar 3, 2005
Hey there, any bright idea’s? the men won’t understand this but I’m travelling from Ireland with my boyf and another couple. Us girlies aren’t used to humidity and it’s going to play havoc with our hair. :cry:
We blowdry our hair everyday. However, (and I don’t really understand this so have patience!!) the voltage in the DR is 110v?? not sure what the voltage here is but its higher (I was told, can’t remember).

We were also told that if we were to bring our hair straighners/ hair dryers we would need to bring a transformer (too big to bring).
Now the hotel says it has hair dryers but others would lead me to believe its not true. Can we buy these items over there cheaply enough?? Or any suggestions…???? ;)

susie x

Jan 17, 2004
hairdryers

Your holiday brochure should tell you if there are hairdryers in your room. Or look on the hotel website.

Each hotel I have stayed in has had hairdryers they are fixed on the wall in the bathrooms, they are not as powerful as we have back home but not bad. I brought my straighteners and they were fine, no need for any transformer, but of course you will need an adaptor...My friend took gas straighteners in case there were any problems with my electric ones.

marylou22

Mar 3, 2005
ta!

susie x said:
Your holiday brochure should tell you if there are hairdryers in your room. Or look on the hotel website.

Each hotel I have stayed in has had hairdryers they are fixed on the wall in the bathrooms, they are not as powerful as we have back home but not bad. I brought my straighteners and they were fine, no need for any transformer, but of course you will need an adaptor...My friend took gas straighteners in case there were any problems with my electric ones.

gas straighteners.. thats brilliant. if only we could get a battery hairdryer we'd be flying...hahahahahahaha

i still don't think that an adaptor would be ok as 2 electricians told me that the voltage in our appliances are too high and that they would blow?? yeh it says that there are hairdryers but i've heard from a few forums like this that there not in the hotel at all....:(

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Which hotel are you staying at? I am sure someone on this board will be able to tell you whether they have hairdryers in the rooms or not - otherwise you should call the hotel to double check.

I am from the UK and just to warn you that there is no point taking a hairdryer with you from here because they are virtually powerless over there......better to use the space in your suitcase for something else!!

I have GHD straighteners and although they do not heat up to the max they still manage to heat up enough to get the job done :)

Happy holidays....
Daydream

marylou22 said:
gas straighteners.. thats brilliant. if only we could get a battery hairdryer we'd be flying...hahahahahahaha

i still don't think that an adaptor would be ok as 2 electricians told me that the voltage in our appliances are too high and that they would blow?? yeh it says that there are hairdryers but i've heard from a few forums like this that there not in the hotel at all....:(

la flor

Jan 6, 2005
leave the blow dryer home!

why waste your time blowing out your hair and using the iron wasting at least a 1/2 hour of your time eveyday when you could be out running around having a good time! As a professional stylist, I would recommend bring a great mousse or hair gel and leaving your hair natural. I never pack a blowdryer.Straight hair is for home, wavy and wild is for vacation!

susie x

Jan 17, 2004
marylou22 said:

I used the adaptor on my straighteners, it wasn't a problem.

magenta

Mar 29, 2005
marylou22 said:

In Europe you have 220V/50Hz, while anywhere in the western hemisphere it's 110V/60Hz. To find out if your hairdryer would work, first check the instructions if it's 'dual voltage'. If it is, it will work with both, 110V and 220V. I used to have one that could be switched from 110V to 220V, you might want to check yours for a switch like that too. You would only need a plug adapter, but those are inexpensive.

If it's not dual voltage and can't be switched, you would need a transformer. They are heavy and quite expensive. My advice is to buy a dual-voltage hairdryer in your home country, it's definitely cheaper and will work anywhere in the world.

You might also want to check the World Electric Power Guide at this site:

http://kropla.com/electric.htm

marylou22

Mar 3, 2005
wow, thanks for all that. now to answer ye one by one..

la flor, i see your point but i don't want to go out looking like a yetti, therefore at least straightening the fringe & front layers is necessary. wild and wavy is the understatment of the century with my hair minus at least a good hair dry... but thanks for the advice anyway..:)

daydream, i have them too, thank God for the GHDs!! i'm staying at the Barcelo Talanqeura in Juan Dolio.. i actually checked it out on the net and they said nowhere that they had dryers in the rooms altho the brochure we have did.. i think i'll just email them and see..

magenta, i think your advice is spot on. i need a new hairdryer anyway so i'll look out for one of them. great advice.. thanks everyone...

atienoor

Mar 8, 2004
Where to find and how much

You can easily pickup a good quality hairdryer for about 40 dollars at the Candy Beauty Supply (CBS) on the Highway 27 de Febrero.

marylou22

Mar 3, 2005
atienoor said:
You can easily pickup a good quality hairdryer for about 40 dollars at the Candy Beauty Supply (CBS) on the Highway 27 de Febrero.

slight problem i live in ireland. ah i'll find one. thanks again